Anyone running aftermarket cam's?

EVR4

Crunching Gears
First Name
J-D
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer
Did a search was wondering if anyone was running a set of mild cams

And if you where stock turbos, ECU mods ETC.

I want to look into getting the most power out of this thing with ought changing out the turbos. and ecu

Far as ill go is a Emanage at some point.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i believe everyone here are still using the stock/oem cams..

and there are couple of people have run bigger turbo's but still use the stock cam,

there's a new member here named Bennoz (also from FTO Australia) I think he's just completed a 6A13TT swap into his engine bay, he's running stock turbo's aftermarket ecu & ignition, and he's got some custom exhaust cam installed..

and we're still waiting on how his tune is going..

EVR4

Crunching Gears
First Name
J-D
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer
Hmm I guess ill just have to venture into this on my own then.

I wonder if Mitsiman has played around with any with cams on the dyno yet

G

Unregistered
Zentac on CVR4 has an RPW cam and Gowf on the same forum is looking into cams being made by Kent in the UK

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I've just ordered a set of adjustable vernier cam gears. Apparently that can make a difference in regard to increasing the top end power and torque. Looking at getting them installed and tuned in a couple of weeks. I will start a new thread showing gains from this.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I've just ordered a set of adjustable vernier cam gears. Apparently that can make a difference in regard to increasing the top end power and torque. Looking at getting them installed and tuned in a couple of weeks. I will start a new thread showing gains from this.

is this the same as Bennoz using on his car? and also did you get 4 or just 2 which is for the exhaust cams?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
RPW has his cams listed at about $1600. With that money id rather do other mods like turbo upgrade.
Personally I think there is no need to change cams unless your going mild to heavy mods on the motor

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
is this the same as Bennoz using on his car? and also did you get 4 or just 2 which is for the exhaust cams?

Not sure what Bennoz has. I have Just ordered the exhaust cam gears. I got mine from rpw $535 incl shipping and with exchange of my stock gears it works out to be $330.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
thats not a bad price.. keen to see the results. are the other 2 the more expensive part?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Josh, i hope you have a lot of coin mate to have then tuned. Having just adjusted my timing belt twice in the last week, i there will be a bit of dismantling and re-fitting between adjustments and dyno's charge by the hour.

I suspect the dyno will cost you at least $500 minimum. And all it will really do is make it come on a little sooner or later depending where in the rev range you want to the power to be. Any gains you make will be small and in my assement isn't worth the bang for buck outlay.

Cams- should be one of the last things you do. With a standard engine you won't make more than 10kW at best. theres 4 of them and they'll be expensive.
As a guide for every 10degrees of extra duration, you move your peak rpm band by ~500rpm.
So for example my RB25 had 240 7.8mm standard cams. ( id' be interested to know what the 6A13 has??) I replaced them with Tomei 256 8.5mm so 16 degrees extra duration and another 0.7mm of lift, not much extra lift but a lot more duration. Funnily enough my peak power went from 6400 to 8000. So my rough guide isn't that rough;)
If you go much larger that 260 then the idle will have to be faster as it'll be lumpy due to the extra duration. My RB25 has a slight lope, the GTR has one 260 and 9mm lift:D

regardless, i'd be changing turbo's before id even contemplate cam gears AND cams. And most likely not even then, but that would depend on how the new turbo's performed.

It's in the same vane as my comments to people who go on about boring out the throttle body...waste of time on standard engines. I still run the standard TB on my RB25, it's 65mm my car makes of ~430hp atw. Nothing wrong with my TB;)

Hope that brings people back to reality?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
thats not a bad price.. keen to see the results. are the other 2 the more expensive part?

No, same price. Will show results whether good or bad.

Awesome Simon, thanks.

It's really something I'm experimenting with and your experience actually backs up my theory. My theory is if I can advance the timing of the exhaust cams then naturally I will lose some bottom end but have good power and torque to 7000. But in saying this I'm hoping to increase fuel economy in the lower rev range and cruising on the highway.

Also this is something that can be installed and just be there until further mods come along and tinker with at a later time. I doing my 100k service soon and the timing belt so I thought it would be worth doing the cam gears when the front cam seals get replaced.

Apologies if this is off topic from cams themselves but it's close.:D

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
My cam belt had slipped 2 teeth on both cams on the rear bank and 1 tooth on each on the front bank. Thats' around 14 degrees extra timing for the front bank and 28 for the rear:eek:

Quite doughy down low but man did she pull like a freight train(y) but as expect with that much advance, fell over very quickly:sad:

Fuel economy change will be negligible

You do realise that the power change will be minimal it won't make the power move from ~5500 to 7000 don't you?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
My cam belt had slipped 2 teeth on both cams on the rear bank and 1 tooth on each on the front bank. Thats' around 14 degrees extra timing for the front bank and 28 for the rear:eek:

Quite doughy down low but man did she pull like a freight train(y) but as expect with that much advance, fell over very quickly:sad:

Fuel economy change will be negligible

You do realise that the power change will be minimal it won't make the power move from ~5500 to 7000 don't you?

Well I do now!:D

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Mine are standard cams, just had the exhaust retarded as much as possible with the gears. However I am eyeing off a set that RichardB has in the UK, a set of HKS 272 degree'ers. Estimate about a 30kws gain at the wheels with them.

But as mentioned, not an easy job to swap out, its timing belt off. You also wont see the best out of them without some sort of piggyback / programmable ECU.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
do hks make cams for our car? or are they some special order..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Mine are standard cams, just had the exhaust retarded as much as possible with the gears. However I am eyeing off a set that RichardB has in the UK, a set of HKS 272 degree'ers. Estimate about a 30kws gain at the wheels with them.

So what result did you get out of retarding them?

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
So what result did you get out of retarding them?

Finally got round to tuning them in today. Retarded both exhaust cams by 2 degrees.

This is the result at 9 & 1/2 pound boost. Almost 10kws (y)

dsc00406eo.jpg

Now as much as I'd love to give you a reading at 18 pound, my poor, 3 track day veteran tyres had a great deal of difficulty gripping on the dyno. Not to mention the fact, they sat idle for a year and a half in the sun, whilst this motor was built. As such the results we got were stupid 3-4-500kw numbers, along with a mouthful of smoke as she wheelspun from 5k onwards.

Will throw a new set of tyres on shortly & give it another run. Prior to this, it ran about 220kws @ 18 pound, we envisage it will now be at around 240-245kws.

G

Unregistered
Hey Ben buddy it is Mitch how much are these cams from Richard as I have been looking around for abit now to do. When changing the cams to these ones from Richard are they a direct swap and don't need to change anything apart from the tune mate. I can do this as I am running a microtech stand alone ecu.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Hey Ben buddy it is Mitch how much are these cams from Richard as I have been looking around for abit now to do. When changing the cams to these ones from Richard are they a direct swap and don't need to change anything apart from the tune mate. I can do this as I am running a microtech stand alone ecu.

They the HKS 272s mate? Spoke to my guys about putting a set of them in. There's nothing odd abut the job, its just a straight swap.

My only concern was the predicted 30-40 extra kws they would give, is starting to put the stock internals to the test. I dunno how much these motors will reliably hold.... especially when I throw nos into the mix.

If I were you Mitch, I'd get all the base level stuff sorted first, such as coil packs, verniers, piping, fueling etc. You got the same engine as me but its 50kws down on what Im getting...

G

Unregistered
Ok kool Ben and your very correct Ben about sorting all the basic stuff sorted first. I just need a very good tuner like you do Ben. I really need to drive the car Down. How much are the cams anyways Ben

Top Bottom