Automatic Gearbox

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
really long gear ratios and the delay in changing does annoy me

Tried driving in tiptronic mode Brad?

& yes, the spare hand is great for;

* eating twisties
* having a drink
* giving the finger
* skipping tracks on the stereo
* holding hands with the wife :love:

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
& waiting 1 week to simply get your auto serviced at MEEK while they replace 3 rooted clutches because they were driven by idiots.

First thing I did with the Super was get the trans cooler fitted & fluid flushed & changed.
Drives perfect. Though I swear the ratios are different to when I had the Grandpa. Does the Super have any series 2 gear in it relating to the trans?

G

Unregistered
I have found (driving Bellas Legnum) that the AT is smooth and enjoyable. The hesitation is not too much of a curse. Fowlcoons do this too. Apparently, Ford set their AT's up like this for a reason. That is, if you were about to overtake a car, and punch it, set to go around just as the AT is ready to kick down, and another car comes stopping you from overtaking, Ford believe that the hesitation allows the driver to save excessive fuel dump. So, when this happens, you back off and the revs aren't as high and excess fuel is not being used. Unlike the Commondoors where this happens, they have dumped a shyte load of fuel and have gone no-where. Maybe the Tiptronic in the Legnum is similar to the Fowlcoons AT? Who knows? Either way, I found that even with the hesitation, the Legnum still gets up and boogies and changes nicely at some impressive revs and continues to pull. Whilst driving Bellas Legnum in manual mode, I was able to keep up and harass some of the other VR4 Galant members who have manual transmissions. I think they may have been impressed too. Could it come down to drivers experience????? I will do some research on the Legnums AT and see what I can find.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I am surely hoping our autos don't share anything with a Falcon lol...

EDIT - I do know what you're talking about Sean!

G

Unregistered
OK, did some research and came across this.......

Tiptronic Transmission Chips
Tiptronic (GIAC chip)

.....apparently helps with faster smoother changes for all Tiptronic ATs. Below is the site in which explains what it is and the review. People use it in their AUDI, so sounds as though they have the same delay problems with their ATs as well, as do the VW Passat. Pffffft.

http://www.clubb5.com/information/tipchip.shtml

G

Unregistered
I didn't have much choice in the matter getting an auto.

I've found all you need to do is keep your head up and anticipate what you need to do, you can factor the delay into your driving technique. eg. flick tiptronic at 5.5k and it'll change at 6k. Similar on downshifts. It's very rare I rely on kick down because I'll drop a gear before I go to plant it, so the power is instant. The only frustration I have is waiting for the torque convertor to lock up, even if you load it up a little first :D

Top Bottom