Major Automatic Transmission Issue - Gearbox going into limp mode

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Seem to remember in one of your earlier posts you said something about getting the repairs done under warranty. What are your chances Daswo?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Probably worth keeping the info there, it might be true for our gearboxes too

I dunno what happened, it was there when i saved it then i came back and it was gone :confused:

Fixed now

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Seem to remember in one of your earlier posts you said something about getting the repairs done under warranty. What are your chances Dawso?

It depends how dodgy my repairer will be for me. He owes me a favour or 2 anyway.... The warranty shouldn't be an issue but i may use the payment to do the manual swap :drool:

We're all mates here, lets keep it a secret ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Manual swap for sure. Being stronger than the auto, it will pay for itself eventually... Hope it all works out OK for you mate.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
do a manual.. im pretty sure someone here can help you source the bits straight from japan..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
do a manual.. im pretty sure someone here can help you source the bits straight from japan..
Doing it with new parts wouldn't be cheap. Then you have the issue of shipping - only way you'd be able to do it reasonably would be in a shared container using someone like Japan Parts Direct or Import Monster. I still contend the most economical way to do it would be buying a parts car - you'll probably make enough selling the parts off to cover the cost of the manual conversion ;)

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
What about a 2nd hand autobox from New Zealand? These popup from time to time on tradme.co.nz, sometimes even reconditioned. Also big wreckers like www.kempys.co.nz may have them. A transmission weighs quite a bit though, but I guess you could have have it sent via surface mail.

Well no-one was even close

When they dumped the oil today the pulled chucks of metal from my box....

Apparently it is parts off some reverse gear cusioning band. It is also a common problem with Mitsi AT's

Thoughts are that chunks of this floating past sensors and through gears are causing my issues

Its gonna cost $2500 to fix it

And i have been advised to not leave town in it :(

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
What about a 2nd hand autobox from New Zealand? These popup from time to time on tradme.co.nz, sometimes even reconditioned. Also big wreckers like www.kempys.co.nz may have them. A transmission weighs quite a bit though, but I guess you could have have it sent via surface mail.

The thought has crossed my mind.... But if i were to do that it would be no more economic than doing what was suggested by changing that single cusion spring. The only advantage would be that i would have an "as new" (if it was reco'd) box instead of one that has "bits" floating around in it :eek:

I'd still like to do the manual conversion, so thats high on the priority list :D

I'd hate to think of what i would've paid for my car if it were manual!!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Whats everyones thoughts on a Auto Trans issues/troubleshooting thread? Could be a sticky?

I searched this site and found SFA about Auto Trans stuff and there are HEAPS of VR-4's that have them

I'm happy to start this thread with some of the info posted here

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Especially those comments that you've found. I've seen this spring too... to the detriment of snickells (Steve) this year of course.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Especially those comments that you've found. I've seen this spring too... to the detriment of snickells (Steve) this year of course.

So i'm not the first one with this problem!?

I'll do the new thread tonight with some details and we can get additions to it from there....

And shame on you Steve for not letting me know you had this problem ;)

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Up to you re. the manual conversion. I personally think our cars, being really highway cruisers and not sports cars are better suited to tiptronic transmissions anyway.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Up to you re. the manual conversion. I personally think our cars, being really highway cruisers and not sports cars are better suited to tiptronic transmissions anyway.

Matter of personal preference. I disagree though...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've done a lot of km's in both types and I think that manuals are much better on the motorway. The only time you could possibly argue the auto's are better is if you are driving around in the city all day every day and never venture out of 50kmh towns

G

Unregistered
Dawso, i have an auto trans you could have cheap in a month or two...if you are interested and have the time??

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg

I do like it in the auto

I've done a lot of km's in both types and I think that manuals are much better on the motorway. The only time you could possibly argue the auto's are better is if you are driving around in the city all day every day and never venture out of 50kmh towns

But i've been sold on the manual (next to no city driving where i am)

Dawso, i have an auto trans you could have cheap in a month or two...if you are interested and have the time??

And if a can't get the manual conversion stuff, this'd be great, thanks mate

Are you doing the conversion?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's why he got the half-cut ;)

As I said in the other thread, really great work putting all that together Dawso :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
That's why he got the half-cut ;)

As I said in the other thread, really great work putting all that together Dawso :)

Cheers Trev

I thought it was just one of those things that really needed to be done. And if it helps even one person out then it was worth while doing it! :)

Benny, where did you get the half cut from? Did you buy Trav's or import one?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
No he got whatshisname's car from the insurer when it got back-ended by the heart-attack victim.

(yea sorry a little distracted this morning)

Top Bottom