Please Help...Possibly A Major Problem With My Leggy

G

Unregistered
Hey guys, thanks to all who take the time time to read this and anyone who can help me. About a week ago I notice A sort of grinding 'friction' sound coming from the left hand front of my Leggy while driving and turning left.I checked all I could around the wheel, suspension, steering, CV etc. but couldn't find anything unusual (granted I'm no mechanic) so I put it away for a few days. Today I went for a small drive and noticed the car is now making a grinding/rubbing sound much louder that you can feel in the steering wheel and pedals that increases with RPM but eventually gets drowned out by engine noise.It is now making the sound at low/moderate sounds in a straight line but seemingly disappears when turning right.

I have also noticed that when I shift from any gear to Drive a short, sharp, loud 'Buzzing' sound comes from beside the left front wheel. I would spell it as sounding like Bvvvvvvvvvvvt lol. It seems to shift fine through the gears, power seems fine, all other gears select and drive fine and the sound doesn't seem to exist in reverse. I have also noticed If I stop in Drive with the wheel at 99% lock to the left I can feel a pulsing/vibrating through the steering wheel and brake pedal, which doesn't happen when I do the same thing steering right.

I am worried about a Tonne of things, especially considering I am 7 days away from a Major shoulder op an will be unable to solve the issue for 1 month+ afterwards so I am trying desperately to find it before then. The only mechanic I trust cant look until Tuesday.
Transfer Case oil was changed less than 4000kms ago as was the Autotrans (which has a cooler).I am suspecting..
-Transfer Case
-Drive shaft
-CV
-Power steering (somehow)
----(DREAD) TRANSMISSION!!

I really am hoping some VR-4 genius / fortune teller / Future version of myself arriving In a Time Travelling delorean with Doc Emmett Brown, can shed some light on this situation before something well and truly shits itself.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
From the symptons I doubt very much it would be the transfer case, if the noise is dissapearing when you select reverse but there in all forward gears I suspect it sounds like the trans or your front left wheel bearing? Whilst I dont have a peice of paper to say I am a Mechaninc nor am I anywhere near as experienced as some techs on this forum I would lean towards that going by what you have said. Did you check the wheel bearings or had them checked?

G

Unregistered
where in QLD are you at?

Lonely old Townsville mate.

From the symptons I doubt very much it would be the transfer case, if the noise is dissapearing when you select reverse but there in all forward gears I suspect it sounds like the trans or your front left wheel bearing? Whilst I dont have a peice of paper to say I am a Mechaninc nor am I anywhere near as experienced as some techs on this forum I would lean towards that going by what you have said. Did you check the wheel bearings or had them checked?

I also suspected wheel bearings and 'checked' them myself. I jacked the car up and had someone hold the steering wheel while I shook the wheel left to right, then did the same to the hub with the wheel off and din't find anything unusual (I am also FAR from being a mechanic though). Thats what I was really hoping it was, I will get them checked out properly when I take it to the shop. Please correct me if this is the wrong method.

What oil did they put in the trans?
Mitsubishi ATF-SPIII from my local stealership. The only thing I can think of is that they haven't flushed it out and only emptied the oil they could and refilled it so its a mix of old and new.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
want me to have a look next time in townsville ? i do steering and suspension, sounds like it could be a number of things bearing,cv shaft,power steering possiably box, cant tell just on your post alone.

G

Unregistered
want me to have a look next time in townsville ? i do steering and suspension, sounds like it could be a number of things bearing,cv shaft,power steering possiably box, cant tell just on your post alone.

That would be awesome mate. I really just don't want it to be the box, anything else I can live with.

EDIT- If you find yourself with some spare time we can try and organise a trip for you to come check it out and I can sort you out somehow (I Got A Purrrdy mouth) haha

G

Unregistered
What oil did they put in the trans?

Did you mean transmission or Transfer case?
A/T is Mitsi SPIII
Transfer I forget the name but its the Motul GL-5 transfer case dealy

G

Unregistered
Does anyone know if it is possible for your engine or transmission mounts to cause something like this if they have shit themselves. The mechanic that done my 100k service mentioned my, rear I think, engine mount wasn't looking too flash And I have forgotten about it until now.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Hey mate, if you can check the rear roll stopper. It is just off centre at the back of the motor. Best to remove air box and hose to get a real good look to see if it has collapsed. Bit hard to see i stuck my camera on record and stuck that down there along with a torch. This was giving me vibrations like you describe. Might be awkward with a bad shoulder but worth ruling out and not expensive. Cheers Simon.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Just read your last post. Yes for sure, got mine through amayama.

G

Unregistered
Just finished sweating/swearing/yelling and got my airbox removed.Can see the mount, how do I tell if it's rat shit?

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Check for perished/cracked internal rubber, check for excessive movement by levering it with a pry bar

G

Unregistered
The rubber is pretty cracked and faded.Much worse than the other side.It looks as though the bolt isn't sitting right in the middle either, is it supposed to? How much movement is excessive? Thanks for your help

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
The bolt should be central, if its towards the top then the rubber would be pretty soft, check to see if there is sideways movement instead of front/rear and if it moves side to side a fair bit then its probably pretty shagged.

G

Unregistered
Just tried to wedge a small jack handle between the Mount and the wheel arch to try and pry for movement, couldn't really get it in but with the 10mm or so I was able to push it with it got a bit of play, it moved up and away from the wheel arch,It was hard to tell but maybe 5mm or so each direction, I feel it will move a lot with the pry bar.. I really hope this is what my problem is but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.It could also explain the strange 'bump/pulse' I was feeling while cruising, maybe a lot of feedback from small imperfections in the roads surface due to the mount. Pray for ma haha.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Reading your symptoms again it doesnt sound like a rear roll stopper would cause what your describing, maybe wait and see what the mechanic says before getting too stressed over it, easier said than done :) Good luck with it Mitch

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
That would be awesome mate. I really just don't want it to be the box, anything else I can live with.

EDIT- If you find yourself with some spare time we can try and organise a trip for you to come check it out and I can sort you out somehow (I Got A Purrrdy mouth) haha

ok mate no problems will send you a message next time im down should be next week some time.

G

Unregistered
Cheers mate my number is
0404 042 989 probably better off contacting me that way mate.I'm gonna investigate some more over the weekend So I'll keep updating.Knew I should have just bought another R34 like I was thinking HaHa (Admins:please don't ban me)

Top Bottom