AYC gasping noise

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Well Mechanical diffs can make a bit of noise at slow speeds so i'm guessing our AYC starting pumping etc wouldn't be much different.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i'd never heard it until i had the crack in the pipe and got it fixed - it was always completely silent. Maybe since its had bubbles in the system now since losing its fluid its not as 'perfect' as it once was?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The AYC pump does make a noise when the car is turned on, that is perfectly normal.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Ok, so I topped up the AYC reservoir and went for a drive, when I got to my destination the noise was back could it be that there is air in the system now? I've pulled the fuse for now but really want to fix this.

When I pull the fuse the noise stops so it is definetly something to do with the pump. Driving it with the fuse pulled won't damage anything will it?

Cheers guys.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Probably best to get it flushed properly and see what happens. In the mean time without the fuse the car will be fine.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
anyone know how much an AYC service costs?

I think you will be looking at paying any where between $150-300. Prices seem to vary from workshop to workshop. Check the VR4 friendly workshop thread under QLD, there should be a couple nearby to you;)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hmmm, hopefully the car dealer will cover it under warranty. Will give them a call tomorrow.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Hmmm, hopefully the car dealer will cover it under warranty. Will give them a call tomorrow.

You may be lucky, but they may see it as being a regular serviceable component and refuse. But as i said, hopefully you will be lucky and being Motorman i think they might help you out, they seem like a good bunch of people.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
hope so, they fixed the CV boot they damaged without a second thought. No questions asked.

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
This is a question i have always wanted to ask. With mine, i don't have the same noise as people describe when referring to weird AYC noises, nor do i have any other AYC symptoms but nearly every time the car takes off for the fist time after starting, i get a noise from the rear of the car not unlike a power antenna would make going up, it last usually for maybe 3 seconds and does come from the rear of the car. As i said, it only does it the first time the car drives off, even just pulling out of the garage in a straight line and not before the car starts to move. Other than that particular noise, i have no other noises what so ever coming from the rear of the car whilst driving, straight or 2-3 bars...
Can't find a conclusion to this problem as to what fixed the small whine after driving off on start up. One person mentioned maybe air in system. Been 28,000km since AYC last serviced so I guess I should service it anyway.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
That's a normal charging sound, its the pump building pressure to store in the accumulator. As far as I know they all make that sound, some are louder than others.

G

Unregistered
If you don't get the small whine after driving off on start up then your pump is dead :)

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Haha yeah I thought maybe something was wrong when I got my VR4 cause only on start up it does it for like 3 seconds and wont hear it again or any other sounds, got a good mechanic to check it all out and found out it was normal sound cause it was building pressure. And a friends Legnum does the same.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
...so getting back on topic, has anyone experienced the gasping noise, and did replacing the pressure switch resolve the issue for you?

Top Bottom