pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just saw this and i'm officially in love -

Mazda3_MPS_1_L_700.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for the 3 MPS... Great car to drive and the new one is predicted to be better

If they get its torque steer under control it would be one of the best little performance cars on the market IMO. They don't rave about it much, but they should :)

Kirstin's 6 was worth A LOT more than these and i know which i'd rather have!

More info HERE

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I am surprised they have the bonnet scoop, I remember with the Mazda 6 MPS they deliberately used a double skin bonnet to avoid having a scoop. They didn't want the car to be looked as a WRX copy etc. I do like the idea of no bonnet scoop as it keeps people guessing. If you modify a turbo car you normally end up putting a FMIC in anyway so why don't they do it from the factory? Like our VR4's!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Not a fan of the scoop..

I was in the Mazda community when the MPS6 was first announced, a lot of people jumped to it and were happy.. Then as soon as the MPS3 came out, it caused even more excitement.. Although many were disappointed that they didn't have an AWD system, it was still a loved car.. Subtle and understated..

Not much of a fan of the big smile in the front either!

Great cars though!

Hell, my parents Mazda3 Maxx Sport (2L) wheels spins pretty easily anyway, this would just be ridiculous wheel spin and torque steer haha..

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Mmmmmmm ......... pretty car

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Owning a current model SP23, I would LOVE a new MPS! :D

However a friend of mine has the current model MPS3 and although he says its a nice car - the electronics take away far to much control in 1st and 2nd (boost/ignition timing limiting to prevent torque steer).

This does look pretty good, and who knows, maybe one day in the future if Im lucky

G

Unregistered
Yeah I have always had a soft spot for them since they first came out, the whole '3 & '6 series put Mazda sales through the roof over last 4-5 years.

With the WRX they have really lost the plot with that now, I have owned 2 and wouldn't buy the current shape in a million years.

:0

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
My usual bolt-on turbo upgrade kit info here

The GT28R kit (the smallest of the choices) makes good power with these cars, 400hp at the crank at 21psi!!

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Looks pretty nice I think, and that is one of the most aggressive scoops i've ever seen. Love it! Reading in the newspaper that it hasn't actually been revealed whether it is AWD or FWD, so there is a small chance it could be all wheel drive.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Ummm... make that +2 for the 'smile'. It looks like a scary clown face from a horror movie !! :p

I've read it's still FWD, some sus about maybe borrowing the Revoknuckle front suspension from the new Focus (which I believe looks way shit hotter than this).

But Dawso, where's the auto bro ?? :bigsmile: You know what I'm like !!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
The smile i think might look a bit overstated in that picture lol....

With a proper number plate and actually being able to see the plate holder, it shouldn't look as "out there" :)

There is a lot of smarts in the current model like Lee said but i didn't find it TOO imposing while driving it as the car still feels like YOU are driving which i like!

They're good for a lot of power Madhav thats true, but you would need to win lotto to do it haha. In saying that, if i won lotto, i would do it :drool:

And as for the AWD thing, i quite like that it is 200kg lighter without it... makes a big difference once third is hit! :D

And sorry Brad, no auto's haha... They are a SPORTS car ;)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
If they manage to control torque steer then by all means go FWD, but if it torque steers then get me the hell out. Nothing more annoying then skipping along when you want to put power down.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Screw having a FWD with that much power. I know a guy who had a rather worked SP23.... and well let's just say a long sweeper at 150kph and front wheel drive = you sitting in a car with the wheels sheared off and the engine sitting on the ground next to you.

I'll stick with AWD if I want to go fast thanks.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
^^^ +1 for me. it probably have same issues with TRD Aurion. Not a fan of bonnet scoop. If rotary with rwd, maybe a different answer

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Looks good. Would never own one. It's already piss easy to get wheelspin from the 115kW SP23 my g/f has. I doubt very much they'll go AWD as then they'll never sell a 6 MPS.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I think the original 3 and 6 were very nice but they are trying too hard and have overstyled the new 6 and the 3 looks like it will be the same.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
I find it odd that they're carrying over the 2.3L Turbo from the previous generation. The SP has now gone up to the 2.5L from the new 6, what else is still using the older 2.3L engine apart from this car?

Haven't heard any news of a new MPS 6 either...

I bloody wish they'd get their arse in gear & match their new diesel 6 to a bloody automatic transmission !

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
You serious?Jesus brad u just made a tear in my eye,future without manuals?:(

Ahhhh what a fantastic future that would be !! ;);)

By all means make autos tiptronic like our boxes. I personally don't like 'em.

P.S. Just because I can't drive 'em's got nothing to do with it hehe....

P.P.S. I wish the autos would redline though in tiptronic..

Top Bottom