Boost solenoid restrictor

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
When you say not as high as 13.5, what is not as high? ie. are you getting 8,10,12? OR do you not have a boost guage and going seat of the pants or something?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I have a boost gauge, but have a broken t peice, but going from when i was running 13.5 to now i would guees its about 8-9psi at most.

definatly more than stock but not near as much pull as what i was running...

as i said I will confirm results later....

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Question for the ECU tragics out there (like me)
looking at the ECU wiring diagram in this thread here:
On the right side of the diagram (below) is the "Wastegate solenoid control". Would I be correct in saying that if we could remap-control the ECU then the solenoid should be able to be controlled to run higher boost?

PG3.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Ahh yes, but the contact I have here in SA informs me he has a way of writing to the H8 family of Ecu's, as he can remap Evo V's and VI's..... BUT he hasn't had a chance to look at the Legnum just yet.
The software he has I believe may be his own, or even mitsubishi propietry software so I dont know if it would be available for others to use, BUT he may be able to remap your ECU and send it back to you, Mines style ;)

G

Unregistered
Hotwire ... The Evo's ECU's are different to ours ... not the obvious differences, but the ECU chips.
search for Kenneths posts on this forum, we were discussing it recently

Outlanded - my car runs 9psi stock boost (during winter) how can u possibly tell how much boost ur running by feel ?
I'll rip out the plug this weekend and tell u how much extra I get ;) then I'll replace the solunoid like mitchy has done :) then retune ... I'll have some stats later this weekend. with Logworks Data :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Paul: I was asking Kenneth abou this, and you right, our MCU's are different to the EVO 7/8/9 MCU which can be re-flashed, but Im fairly certain the EVO 5/6 MCU is the H8 family also (which is as used in the legnum) and is NOT supported by ECU Flash. The local tuner I was referring to does not use ECUFlash to do Evo 5s and 6s, and that he has a program for writing to the H8 family of ECU's..... so he tells me anyway. When I get the Legnum to him we'll know for sure.

G

Unregistered
He's not using Verso is he ? Would be interesting to hear how u go mate ... I'm sure you'll keep us informed ;)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
my old mechanic just started at mitsubishi here in leeton, i know its the bush but he is a good mate and would probably be happy to help finding out information if we need anything. he took an interest in my car once i took him for a spin in it. so if you need an insider to mitsubishi to get something let me know, i can only ask if he says yes then good if he cant get it then no harm done right ?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Wes... any help would benefit everyone.. so thanks in advance to you and him.. :)

G

Unregistered
You can flash tune/verso the legnum/galant ecu's. Mate own's Allstar Garage here in Perth and we have already plugged the laptop into the car picked up the ECU, and its ready to be tuned, just gotta get the car to run for that long

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Rhys - There has been no problem reading the ECU's in the past, but they are unable to be written to. Are you SURE they can write to it? Because Verso dont list Evo 5/6 which is also the H8 family ECU.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Rhys if you guys can write directly to the ECU without having to dismantle it that will be a world-first, and you'll get a lot of people VERY excited! If you don't get an opportunity to get your car there soonish I'd be happy to drive down and check it out with you and your mate - Paul (Takumi) will probably be up for that too.

G

Unregistered
I spoke to sean today and once my car is sorted it will be going up there and getting done.

G

Unregistered
Hey Rhys Chrus on here has had his car up there with Sean already checking out Verso possiblilities, send him a msg.
I spoke to them ages ago and haven't been able to get back up there.
One of my freinds knows the guys up there pretty well.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*subscribed* :D

Probably give us tiptronic Series 1 pilots something back... like those twenty ponies they let out from my bonnet!

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
7 psi with restrictor in solenoid
9 psi with restrictor removed

removal of the restrictor gives about a 2psi gain.

with out restrictor boost comes on much smoother and has much less spiking when an mbc is fitted running at 13.5psi

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
With the Interceptor controlling the stock solenoid without any MBC and the restrictor removed I have had incredibly smooth boost control, with not even a hint of it going over what I set it too; which is 10psi. Will experiment a bit more at 12 but as I have the new SS front pipes I don't want to risk boost cut.:)

Top Bottom