Boost solenoid restrictor

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

I stumbled across this pic somewhere late one night? it was related to 8g galant but just cannot remember where I saw it?

Any one have done this? or know of anybody that has?

boostsolenoid.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Its on a website, most recent post by Dave, have a look.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
done abit of reading about and it should raise it to about 13.5psi
no need for an mbc if u can do this easier enough... just finding it...

guys in the us with 3000gt do this also, theres are slightly different an they get i think it was around 12.5psi from the same mod

G

Unregistered
it sits next to the fuel solenoid, down below where the fuel lines enter the fuel rail i believe...

G

Unregistered
on a side note without the restriction it is possible for the car to free boost but i guess boost cut would come into play once it hit 1bar

G

Unregistered
i've actually bypassed the boost solenoid all together, and simply have my MBC going to the wastegates...

saves a bit of hosing that could possibly split, and better boost control.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Mitch, what are the 'other' benefit of bypassing the boost solenoid? apart from the obvious higher boost and less hose splits..

G

Unregistered
haha.. i actually bypassed the boost solenoid AFTER the drag runs.. when i had the box out i was fiddling with a few things, and thought i could shorten the hoses a bit.

my super vr-4 is just living up to its name. ;)

christian - to be honest, probably not much, was more piece of mind that there is a bit less hosing in there, and i don't have the MBC and a solenoid both trying to adjust the pressure, and i replaced it with new hoses while i was there...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
so have many people done this on the 8th gen's ?

I did it today. It's not as straight forward as removing a bung; there's actually a brass restrictor that I ended up drilling out.

The easiest way to get to it is to remove the airbox and AFM and the two plugs bolted to the intake manifold next to TB. Now you can see it a bit better and get to it from the side. I removed the two bolts holding the bracket and then the nut on the underside of the bracket holding the solenoid to the bracket. Disconnect the two hoses and plug. Now it's removed from the weehicle to do with as you wish!!:)

Boost comes on a bit more suddenly but also spikes a lot more; mine increased by about 1.5 pounds to about 7-8, but spikes to 12 pound. Still not running any boost controller yet.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Josh,

I had a look today and see the brass restrictor, looks as though it can be pulled out though.. will attempt tomoz.

Also the there is a t peice on the same line that if turned around will probably help provide more boost and lower spiking ill take some pics and post tomoz.

brent

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Just be aware it's stuck in there pretty toit! I tried hooking it and pulling it out but to no avail. I was afraid that I might snap the tube stem. In the end I just got in there, removed it and drilled it upside down as you don't want metal shavings going into the valve. Hope yours goes well.:)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Well, I manged removing the restrictor with a drawing pin!! just wiggled it for probably about 3 minutes and it just popped out slowly.

As for the gain over stock boost it is slightly higher not up to 13.5 as hoping... but feel more responsive and smoother.

I will refit my MBC later this week and see how it goes, and hopefully this may reduce spiking that i get when its cold...

I have attached a pic.

solenoid.JPG

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Let me get this straight... this is essentially a free power upgrade? Any downsides, apart from perhaps more fuel usage?

Do you reckon Mitsi tuned the car and then inserted the restrictor to bring it down to the 206kW limit?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
no idea, but the gains are not as large as other models such as a GTO..

I will post results when i put my mbc back on, but for now it does feel a bit better. I also changed the direction of the T peice before the solenoid so that i gets air straght instead of from the T section.

Top Bottom