Boost solenoid restrictor

G

Unregistered
mine.. have done take out the solenoid... but still have the boost cut.... what anything can i do?

G

Unregistered
i have unplugged the solenoid and install an ebc but its stil not rising off standard? no pod all stock

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
iv only just started reading this thread and it looks like taking this little bit out is the way to go... so as soon as i get my car i might give this a go and see what difference it will make

G

Unregistered
i also have unplugged the solenoid and install an ebc but its still spike when it reach 1bar.... how can i do else.....?

sleak

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Rhys
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
Everyone doing this mod... just be very careful with the solenoid and T pieces around that area. they are very brittle and can break easily. I have had to bypass the solenoid totally due to one of the nipples breaking off.

Hope its not needed for the computer to read pressures etc.... Can anyone confirm or deny this??

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i think it should be ok, other people have bypassed the solenoid too

sleak

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Rhys
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
Nope its not a problem. Car is holding boost really well now. I am using an AVCR and it was spiking and hard to control before bypassing the std solenoid, now it is perfect.

One thing I found though, when bypassing the solenoid, I found a big brown square plug that sits under the throttle body unpluged. I plugged it in, and the car wont idle, keeps wanting to stall out. I unplug it again, and the car runs fine.... Anyone know anything about this? I know its not the right thread to be asking, just thought that while you guys were playing around in that area, some of you may know what Im talking about!

But I think everyone should bypass the std solenoid if they are running any other form of boost control.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Its recommended in the how to install a MBC thread that all EBC users should bypass it for the reasons you have quoted above :)

Start a new thread about that other thing.... I've never seen it :confused:

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
Ok I feel retardedi just broke off the nipple that the hose goes on.. takin the restrictor out .and has a mass cut how can i solve this please help.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
No drama, for now just block the bleed (block both hoses connected directly to the solenoid) and this will mean you run at wastegate pressure (6-8psi). Pm me if you're unsure what I mean.

Then, there are about 20 of us about to fit new solenoids so stock solenoid will likely be in abundance in a couple of weeks so you can:
a. get one of those
or
b. join the cool kids and fit a replacement solenoid but ths necessitates a retune of the ecu (this thread)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....ment-3-Port-Boost-Solenoid&highlight=solenoid

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
ok i pushed the restricter back into the hose cut out a bit of the cutting out..hah make sense shuld that be ok to run? ok hoe much would a new ecu cost im kinda clueless about that stuff..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I think you mean a bit of the plastic solenoid snapped off and you have now removed that from the hose. Then you've put the restrictor you pulled out of the solenoid into the hose that was connecting to the solenoid and then connected back up to the solenoid to what was left of the nipple.

Is that correct? you don't need a new ECU, you just need to get the one you have tuned/flashed if you go down the new solenoid path.

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
the little black bit the hose goes over snapped in the hose i pulled that out n the gold restrictor n put restrictor back in i just cant put the hose back on. i shulda left it alone lol

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Oh OK, what i first thought you meant then....

So I would get all the stuff out of the hose and block it off with a screw or something. Then you will run only wastegate pressure (which is slow but fine). Then wait for one of us to have a spare solenoid in a couple of weeks and then you can swap it in.

If you leave the hose unblocked, air will not reach your wastegate and two things will happen when you next drive it hard.

1. your turbos will boost uncontrolled,
2. then once this has happened for over a second you will hit the boost cut and you will feel like you just got thrown out of your seat.

Block the hose.

And just to make sure, the hose (should have a red stripe on it) that comes from the plastic pipe before the throttle body should still connect to a t piece, dont touch that.
The hose coming off the bottom of the t piece should still vanish down into the depths of the engine (that goes to the wastegates)
The hose coming off the branch of the tpiece that used to go to the solenoid should be blocked

Less importantly the other hose that goes to the solenoid should also be blocked.

Make sense?

shanzy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
shanzy
Drive
1997 legnum super vr-4
Yea it kinda does but im thinking ill get my mate to read that n do it all hes a auto sparky.. But cheers man u have been the biggest help hit me up if u want to sell ya solenoid later thanks :)

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Ok so snapped my hose nipple. Need one ASAP where can one buy one tomorrow.

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
All good. Managed to fix it. After it snapped I didn't block any of the lines and took it for a spin, went harder defs, boost doubled from .55psi to 1.05psi, but after fixing it and removing that tiny little gold piece, took it for another test drive and maxed at .74 but now it's back to .55 and that's peak.

During the first test drive at 1.05psi, it made boost cut.

What's happened!?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I think you need to have a look at those boost readings you've written down :p thats almost no boost at all.

Top Bottom