Boost solenoid restrictor

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Yep sorry just move the dot over one to the right. So basically to round up, just over 1bar first time, 7.4psi second, 5.5 third. Before any of this I was previously running 5.7psi.

So any ideas?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Yah it'll be barometric. Boost cut at 1bar sounds about right on stock rom.

1bar isn't 10psi. 1 bar = ~14.7psi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If the lines are open you have no pressure to the wastegate so uncontrolled boost till you get boost cut (see thats why it exists). .74 bar is about std and working. 0.55 is not working. Can you say how it was hooked up for this? Possibly you have an intermittent solenoid problem....

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Well the car is almost stock as a rock. Had the turbos replaced from 7t to 9t, but it was still doing .57 even before that...

I have an exhaust and blitz pod but doubt that's got to do with anything. Why would my car be running so low boost, taking out that restrictor hasn't done anything for me. Should I reset ecu? I've done it before once a while ago.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
There is a slim chance it could be because that boost solenoid is designed for a different system. You could get a three port or a MBC or EBC.

Or it could be a stuffed boost solenoid.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Ah yes, different turbos potentially different wastegates and therefore different behaviour.... More likely the solenoid is not working and that can be due to the solenoid itself or almost any of the plumbing not being factory.... Changing a tpiece on one car resulted in a 4psi change.... Given it was 0.57 before, somethings probably wrong. A 3 port and tune is the correct fix, although a $30 mbc would also give you a decent boost increase.

Anton_Willows

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tony
Drive
1996 Legnum VR-4
Hey guys, Just wondering if this is the factory boost solenoid or an aftermarket unit?
20130223_122844.jpg

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
That's not where the factory one even sits. So yeah, aftermarket it looks,

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
isnt that to do with the traction control?

Anton_Willows

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tony
Drive
1996 Legnum VR-4
ok thanks, thought so.. having the mines ecu i didnt think it would be standard, I guess same goes for the fuel pump but will have to have a look and see.. obviously I got more than I bargined for when I bought the car, guy reckon'd it was virtually stock! lol

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
If I was to have a guess I would say you'd be running stock pump and stock solenoid. Could be wrong though.

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Guys
That's the TCL/ASC solenoid for traction control etc.. in the pic. Found on PFL usually!
Don't touch it. It looks similar to a boost controller!
The boost controller is under the throttle body under the air intake duct above the ttransmission.
You can track the vacuum lines to it.

ripn2u

Idling at the Lights
First Name
morrie
Drive
2001 Vr4 v-spec, Santa Fe 2013
Is there any way of bypassing the solenoid as I have snap the brown pug. So I can run my car until my new one arrives from Sydney

Soarerpete

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
98 Legnum vr4
Hi guys, I've got a Blitz SBC ID I'm looking to hook up.
Someone had installed a piece of crud Atomic Boost controller to the car and made a mess of all the vacuum lines etc, there's not even any connected to the solenoid.
Does anyone have a pic of how all the lines should be in stock trim so I can set it all back up stock before I install the SBC.
Will I need the stock solenoid hooked up at all with the supplied solenoid from the SBC? (Only ask this because the stick solenoid has one of the tips broken off)
Thanks

Soarerpete

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
98 Legnum vr4
Hi guys, I've got a Blitz SBC ID I'm looking to hook up.
Someone had installed a piece of crud Atomic Boost controller to the car and made a mess of all the vacuum lines etc, there's not even any connected to the solenoid.
Does anyone have a pic of how all the lines should be in stock trim so I can set it all back up stock before I install the SBC.
Will I need the stock solenoid hooked up at all with the supplied solenoid from the SBC? (Only ask this because the stick solenoid has one of the tips broken off)
Thanks
I know somethings not right as the car is running excessively rich (200-250km/tank) and if you use more than 60% throttle she drowns in uburnt fuel.
I have a Blitz R-FIT to hook up also which will fix this issue as long as everything is set up correctly.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Hi Guys,

Just about to give this a go, it'll be my first power mod to the vehicle, bit of history about the car.

Bought second hand, 140,000k, FMIC, dump back 2.5" exhaust, HKS BOV, gauges (which currently read 10psi in 3rd at full spool).

after pulling the restrictor out should I get an ECU tune done?

I have been looking here http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/tme-introduction-and-tuning-work.11614/ and thought that with $500 to spend that removing the restrictor and a tune would be the most cost effective sensible upgrade.

I'm in Sydney, yet to go to any meets or anything.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Honestly, a $73 3 port makes the factory solenoid look silly. I can't think of an evo, sti, vr4 that we haven't changed the factory solenoid to a 3 port controlled by the ecu or an aftermarket boost controller in the last 18 months or so.

Top Bottom