Boost solenoid restrictor

Bennyboy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ben
Drive
'97 Mitsubishi Legnum
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted some closure on this easy mod and some advice.

So I was also one of the poor souls who snapped off the nipple when trying to remove the restrictor.
I have blocked off both connected pipes - If i am running a EBC, should I join them together?
Should I keep the old boost solenoid connected to the plug?
Will it benefit if I get a 3 port solenoid and get it flashed? - If yes, can you still get this solenoid and who is SE QLD can flash it without costing a fortune?

Cheers!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted some closure on this easy mod and some advice.

So I was also one of the poor souls who snapped off the nipple when trying to remove the restrictor.
I have blocked off both connected pipes - If i am running a EBC, should I join them together?
Should I keep the old boost solenoid connected to the plug?
Will it benefit if I get a 3 port solenoid and get it flashed? - If yes, can you still get this solenoid and who is SE QLD can flash it without costing a fortune?

Cheers!

1. eliminate the connection from your oe boost control solenoid
2. you can leave it connected or disconnect it, I dont think it matters as Steve usually have it disconencted when tuning the car to get the 'baseline power'

3. ensure that you use the factory vacuum hose / tubing as this spligs it to the front and rear turbos nicely

btw what EBC have you got?

Bennyboy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ben
Drive
'97 Mitsubishi Legnum
who's tuning this for you?

also if you're worried about it overboosting, I believe you can hook up the vacuum lines but keep electronically disconnected

At the moment no one. I get most of my work done at Gavin Woods, but i'm trying to save up for a flash and dyno session with Matty Spry.
I don't think it goes as hard as it used to, i think its since the EBC was added and not running as well as it could.

Is it going to help get the 3 point solenoid for/if i get the flash?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
your preference..

alot of use went for the 3 port since it works with the ecu.. tune the ecu to your desired boost and be merry :D

as for EBC, IMO you're better off selling it, so the $$ you get from that can go towards your tune

btw is your aftermarket boost control solenoid is connected properly?

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
Digging up threads, so what is everyone running these days? I'm guessing the 3 ports, is anyone still running the stock solenoid or stock solenoid with the restrictor taken out? I will get the 3 port in the future but not until I'm ready for the tune, which will be soon as well hopefully.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
The old stock solenoid is probably past it's used by date and most don't work
Anymore. I would bypass it and just use a boost bleed valve for the time being.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I wouldn't go piling boost into an untuned motor, but that's just me. Tune for the boost you can safely run.

Ben

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ben
Drive
Legnum
3. ensure that you use the factory vacuum hose / tubing as this spligs it to the front and rear turbos nicely

Any particular reason why this is the case?

When i removed my restrictor, I decided to replace all of the vacuum lines connected to the solenoid, and now my car doesn't want to boost past 5psi.

Is it possible that I have used too large of a diameter vacuum line or something?

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Im still running the stock solenoid, Steve Knight actually recommended to leave it in and steer clear of the 3 ports because he's had reliability issues with them. Not sure if he took out the restrictor or not. Car happily runs at 12.5psi no issues

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Naturally a mechanic will recommend what they prefer based on their experience which is fine. Many other cars have used the aftermarket 3 ports (Evo, Mazda, Subaru) so they're pretty well tested. Experience from this club has shown that the stock solenoid can become a problem with age - not the most common issue to happen I think but that's the main reason why we install 3 ports with a tune.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Naturally a mechanic will recommend what they prefer based on their experience which is fine. Many other cars have used the aftermarket 3 ports (Evo, Mazda, Subaru) so they're pretty well tested. Experience from this club has shown that the stock solenoid can become a problem with age - not the most common issue to happen I think but that's the main reason why we install 3 ports with a tune.

So reading through this, if I suspect my stock solenoid is dodgy I remove and plug up the 2 hoses? I have just installed a turbosmart mbc but not sure about the old hoses...cheers!

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
So reading through this, if I suspect my stock solenoid is dodgy I remove and plug up the 2 hoses? I have just installed a turbosmart mbc but not sure about the old hoses...cheers!
Or you could buy a new one, which will be a lot more benificial. That's what I'm going to do any way, apparently mine is broken too.

LEGNUMFST

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Neville
Drive
1999 Legnum vr4 type s
The latest greddy profec has been working well for a week so far played with a couple of settings. Holds constant boost at 12psi when i need it , doesnt really drop of till higher in the rev range. Boost response is awesome , really happy with it. KYP in perth installed mine highly recommended.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The latest greddy profec has been working well for a week so far played with a couple of settings. Holds constant boost at 12psi when i need it , doesnt really drop of till higher in the rev range. Boost response is awesome , really happy with it. KYP in perth installed mine highly recommended.
Out of interest what did the item cost and what was charged to install it?

LEGNUMFST

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Neville
Drive
1999 Legnum vr4 type s
Kyp had a couple in stock so bought it for $390 and $160 to install.

Did a search the price i got on the unit was good.

Top Bottom