Car wrapping

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
As Trent has just wrapped his entire legnum in sexy matt black and a few others may be keen I thought i'd start a thread.

If people could put quotes for work done, companies and any other information in here, or just talk about their hopes and dreams.

I'll start, i want a matt black roof and centre of bonnet with grill and spoiler insert in carbon. so far been quoted $1000+gst by appealing signs in coogee WA

And a filthy part of me wants a rust effect bonnet with roof rack and 17x9 +35 white steelies and about 40mm drop.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I've been meaning to get the roof and pillars done in black for while (euro style). But what do you mean centre of the bonnet?

Maybe do a few photochops to show your idea.

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg

dont have photo shop, but basically i want everything between the red lines, i dont like the whole roof idea as i think on a wagon it wil look a bit poop from the side. I like the blue edges, it will look normal from the sides.

and yeh the spoiler insert and grill in carbon ( and do the interior aswell)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I think that the rust finish on just that single centre strip would look a bit poo IMO :(
BUT I definitely do want to get that centre strip of my roof wrapped too. I guess there'd be a fair amount of hassle in getting the panel out in the first place?

G

Unregistered
Buy the wrap yourself from a signwriting supplies place by the metre, it should cost about $100 for that amount. Cast vinyl is what you want, it doesn't shrink back in the sun.

Also buy a vinyl applicator squeegee or use a wide plastic paint scraper from Bunnings with a soft cloth wrapped around it.

A wet application will be easiest to get the air bubbles out, buy the proper application spray or make your own by filling a spray bottle with water, adding a drop of dishwashing liquid and a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol. Plenty of demo videos on YouTube, bonnet and roof being pretty flat should be a piece of cake. The grill will be more fiddly, but since it's only small you can have a few tries without wasting much vinyl

Any small bubbles remaining, leave them for a few days and they usually disappear in the sun.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
The grill, spoiler and possibly lower front bar lip would look good black/carbon. But the centre of the bonnet, you will be dissapointed. It'll look like a black dudes car who puts a superman logo on the bonnet, a bit too try hard.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i hav seen a wagon with the roof panel done...it didnt look to crash hot imho.

leave that to the sedans

G

Unregistered
I forgot to mention.. give the panels a going over with a clay bar before hand, then wash them with dishwashing liquid to remove any wax or polish residue that might have been previously there. Give it all a good rinse, then preferably another final rinse with demineralised water (buy from Bunnings, Supercheap etc). Wipe down with a microfibre cloth and have a final inspection for any dirt specs etc, then try to do the wrapping quickly afterwards before dirt or dust settles on the car.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Poignant point Prawny old pal.

I used prepsol back in my sign/pinstripe/general stickerisation days. Was good stuff. Then once the surface is ready, I'd spray a really mild solution of detergent onto the area (ie few drops in an entire spray bottle) which allows you to position your vinyl correctly and prevent it from sticking until you're ready. Once it's all lined up, squeegee away. There's obviously a massive amount of content I'm omitting here regarding correct technique. lmgtfy.com :D

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Few photochops.

Like I said, terrible. However I tinted your rear lights.

frontas.jpg

backzg.jpg

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
Hmm, the reason im doing it is because my paint is fading on both the roof and the bonnet.

I was kinda keen to do the whole bonnet but i thought it might be too much

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
You could do the carbon look wrap on the whole bonnet. That would look much better.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
^ I agree, whole bonnet would be a lot nicer to look at than just that centre part.

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
i wouldnt carbon the body panels, they would be matt

I think carbon accents is nice, but carbon effect bonnet not so much...as you can buy actual carbon bonnets

kasperflipped

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
trent
Drive
1997 legnum
a lil bit of info for you considering this, there are car wrap specific vinyls available now that dont require you to use the old method of soapy water, you just bang them on dry. The vinyl has thin channels in the back (each brand has its own shape but they all do the same) that allows any trap air to be pushed out. Trying to put vinyl down the old way with water can be a nightmare, even on flat panels. So if you going to buy some and have a try yourself, make sure that you ask for the vinyl to have the air regress pattern on the back!

Top Bottom