Connecting GPS to indash LCD TV???

G

Unregistered
Hi,
Im not sure if this is the right forum. Let me know if it isnt....
I have a generic brand 7" motorised retractable LCD TV/DVD player in my car which is used primarily for playing dvds when i go camping etc..
This unit has bluetooth connectivity as well as unused audio/video ins/outs RCA cords in the back of it. It also has a slot for a SD card in the front of it.
My question is.. Can I purchase a normal portable GPS (TomTom One, Go, Navman etc.) and connect it up to this in-dash screen so I can view it on that and just leave this GPS in the glovebox for example??? If I can, will it transfer the audio from the GPS to my car speakers (that are obviously hooked up to this indash TV)??
Hopefully this can be done by bluetooth...but i will settle for connection to the RCA's..
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer..
icon_smile.gif

G

Unregistered
no gps units i know of have any form of video output,

only option would to have a car-pc with gps receiver installed and gps mapping software

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
portable - you are correct.

the one I use does. garmin do make one that is a standalone unit with no screen. at $1k each they are not cheap but do the job nicely.
I did a couple of MMCS cars a while back with these units.

car pc is certainly the other option.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
There is a cheap eonon or whatever the china store on ebay right now is that sell's a all in one LCD thing... "with" gps.

But it's just a 3" generic GPS thing which has AV out which plugs into the all in one LCD. If you could find that thing you could use it with your screen. however I doubt it would let you use the screen to control it.

But you could obviously do the route at home and then pop it in the glove box if you had your cables routed this way.

I'm looking at doing a similar thing.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
other issue you will face is your gps probably wont get signal from in a glove box or console therefoer you would need an antenna too

G

Unregistered
on another note, is it possible to hook up the japanese gps unit to work in australia by download/installing australian maps? if so, would a car audio place be able to perform this task?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/962-7-LCD-CAR-IN-DASH-TV-MONITOR-VCD-DVD-GPS-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ110303538272QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110303538272&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A1|240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That's a link to the screen with the GPS that has AV out.

You would need to message the seller though as they don't seem to list the GPS on it's own. Also it would be worth inquiring if you can connect an external aerial to the GPS unit.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
personally i wouldnt buy a "Generic" gps, while the hardware might be ok, the maps are probably useless, outdated or very inaccurate.

why waste money on something like that when you could get a decent vdo unit for only a bit extra....

no the alpine japanese units cannot be converted as there are no australian maps for them

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
personally i wouldnt buy a "Generic" gps, while the hardware might be ok, the maps are probably useless, outdated or very inaccurate.

why waste money on something like that when you could get a decent vdo unit for only a bit extra....

no the alpine japanese units cannot be converted as there are no australian maps for them

Yeah it depends on how techincally adept / inept you are I guess.

Pretty much all the generic units run windows CE. I put Destinator 7 on the two I bought for the wife and my mum.... I could put the '08 maps in too if I wanted to. They where $120 each.....

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Biggest problem is that most of the units are NTSC, and we use PAL.
So the Color Subcarrier Frequency will be out by 1MHz, so it will end up black and white.
It is never a full screen either because of Vertical and Horizontal Frequency differences.
If you are more unlucky were you get a SECAM unit nothing works to that unless you get a converter.

The GPS-205 has aux output, I have fitted 100's of these. I'm sure there are a lot more that do. Dell Axim X50v, or even HP PDA are other options.
But I would look at something VGA to S-Video for better quality if your monitor supports it.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
on another note, is it possible to hook up the japanese gps unit to work in australia by download/installing australian maps? if so, would a car audio place be able to perform this task?

if its a sumitomo one - nup!

as for your second question - nup. I can do it but I'm not in SA :( and I would use a different system to do it anyway.

this is how I do them :) - sumitomo OE system (MMCS.)

DSC_1659r.jpg

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
if its OE mitsu then it will be a sumitomo item.

either way there are no maps for it. if you want it to work pull all of it out and send it to me. I'll tack a garmin unit onto it and send it back. your call.

smileymertz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Kylie
Drive
White S1/S2 front bar 97 Legnum VR4
Hi Chris

You did the above mentioned system in our car :)

But the location of the little board where all the wires meet was not very practical....up against the wheel well, behind the carpet.....so some of the soldering came loose and it stopped working.

Tried to call you, but no answer.

We managed to get the blue GPS screen to show again, but its not permanent and drops out, and is also not the right colours.

What do you suggest?

Attachments

• 0901180007.JPG
    0901180007.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 0901180006.JPG
    0901180006.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 17

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
give me a call in the morn and I'll give you the circuit for it. its not that complex and if you have a soldering iron handy I'll expalin it to you.

G

Unregistered
Hey chris ... u can't make use of the MMCS touch screen with the GPS running into can u ?

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
nope. that appears proprietary and I didnt get enough hacking time to work it out. that is the 2nd car the first one was a S2 and a bit easier to work with.

Top Bottom