Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
First of all - reset the ECU, then drive the car for a while and check if the code is still there/returned. Often codes will appear from a momentary error in the circuit etc but not be permenant faults, thus a reset will simply remove the code/ problem solved!

However, if its still there, post back and we can try help again ;)

G

Unregistered
Cheers, will give it a go , will update outcome - I like the idea of it just going away :)!!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
For those of you who see the (for example 1A) error codes with numbers and letters, these are HEXADECIMAL values. We count in groups of "10" (Base 10) whereas electronic components tend to count in lots of "16" (Base 16), otherwise known as HEXADECIMAL.

So...

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4
5 = 5
6 = 6
7 = 7
8 = 8
9 = 9
10 = A
11 = B
12 = C
13 = D
14 = E
15 = F
16 = "10"

[edit] whoops, already answered. Now I'm going to go and check mine now :)

G

Unregistered
Ok - have reset the ECU and driven around and the fault codes are still there - any ideas where to start with the TPS?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Ok - have reset the ECU and driven around and the fault codes are still there - any ideas where to start with the TPS?

take it for a longer drive ie. 20-30 mins. i had TPS problems after i changed plugs and leads, check engine light was coming on at idle and under braking. reset ecu did nothing initially but i took it for a longer drive. once the check engine light stopped coming on (drove a little more to be sure), i turned engine off and back on and problem solvered

G

Unregistered
Cheers Dan, have been driving for a week or so, so doesn't look like it is just going to disappear. Taking car in for a service in the next week or so and getting the plugs and leads done also. Will see if I can get it sorted then......

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
have they been for long driving periods? mine was on for a few days but i was only driving short distances to uni and back. wasnt until i went for about a 30min drive down to the auto electrician that it fixed itself just around the corner. the TPS i believe is a reddy brown plug that sits on the throttle body, just before the plenum. maybe give it a wobble and make sure its all connected properly (to be honest ive got no idea how it works, auto electrician just gave mine a jiggle round to check everything was connected properly)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
So I've changed the brake lamp switch and AYC solenoid and reset the ECU and no dice - still getting the same error (ABS light comes on with ignition during initial diagnostics but never goes off). Haven't rechecked error codes again yet, but don't expect anything's changed. Thoughts?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just checked error codes and I'm still getting ABS 33 (stop lamp switch system fault) and AYC 61 and 81 (Stop lamp switch and pump relay system). So if the ABS error isn't caused by the stop lamp switch what's it likely to be? Anyone know any auto sparkies that work on Evos regularly?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha, if the three light removal caused the ABS light to come on you get my 'random warning light on dash fault of the year' award
So when's this award ceremony? I replaced the T15 LEDs with the correct incandescent globes today and guess what? No more ABS light ;) I also replaced the AYC pressure switch today, so I'm gonna take it for a spin in a bit and then check error codes again. Wish me luck!

G

Unregistered
Will activating the ABS actuators via EvoScan cause the ABS to throw an error? I'm getting errors with the speed sensors after doing that, however I also don't know if they existed before I was playing around :(

GeoVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Galant VR4
how to reset ecu? and how to delete errors? does it reset by unplug the battery?

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Reseting ABS memory:

in words:

- short 1 with 4 pin of diagnostics terminal
- press break pedal
- turn ignition ON
- when ABS warning lamp goes of depress and press brake pedal 10 times
- ABS warning lamp will flash and ABS memory is clear
- turn ignition OFF and remove wire from diagnostics terminal

G

Unregistered
Thanks Bartek, but unfortunately the ABS light is still flashing errors at me :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wow how strange, why is it so difficult to reset the ABS memory??

If you've reset the memory and you're still getting that error it means the sensor that's generating it is still detecting the fault, so whatever's causing it needs to be fixed ;)

G

Unregistered
I've made the ABS errors go away now using EvoScan's 'Clear DTCs' button. Turns out I needed to remove pin 9 from my cable's connector, which was causing things to act a bit whacky. I haven't been out for a road test yet, so I don't know if they will re-occur. Hopefully not.

Now the ABS light is flashing steadily, as is the Engine and AYC lights. However, before I was also getting the Neutral light flashing, but now it's stopped. Why would that be? Is it a general indication of an error to check for?

Bartek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Bartek
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type S
SA -> I don't know, but this procedure works in my VR-4, Galant, Space Wagon.

if ABS is flashing only short signals it means there are no errors.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Ok, ran an ECU diagnostic and here's what I have:

ABS
43 Solenoid (RR) System

TCL
43 RR solenoid valve system

Everything else is OK (whew). But now where to from here? Self-fixable or wince and head over to a mechanic?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well at least both point to the same solenoid :) I'm not too sure where those solenoids actually are though, I can consult the workshop manual tonight if noone else knows.

Top Bottom