Donation of shagged leads

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
David, I'll add you to the group buy and will be in contact soon with the relevant details. For ease of distribution, I'm also assuming that you're in the Sydney area.

Lorenzo, I'm afraid I'm not able to make the Wednesday night meeting. The fact that my Galant is still in compliance might have something to do with my absence ;) Nevertheless, I'm not too far away from you, so it won't be hard for us to meet up.

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
That's cool, Bruce. I'm actually in no rush. When you're ready, let me know. Cheers.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
hey i got my set today from ICE they look the goods only thing is i got 3 in a box????? thought a set would be a lead for each cylinder??? Does this mean i need to buy 2 sets?? i was under impression there would be 6 arriving :(

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
The front 3 spark plugs are run straight off coil packs, the three plug leads are connected to said coil packs then run the back three plugs. Hope this makes sense.

G

Unregistered
Yeah it seems a bit weird but only 3 in the box is correct. Having a 4 cylinder car before took me a while to get my head around how the V6 works with the coil packs on top of the boots on the front cylinders, then the ICE leads connect to each of these and run to the back 3 cylinders. When you remove the plastic engine cover all will be revealed.. literally.

G

Unregistered
What they said ^^^

Make sure you remember the order that they go in as well.

See the HOW TO for a hasty layout I scribbled down when doing mine.

But if you carefully study the diagram on section 16, page 24 (Engine Electrical 16-24) of the Japanese workshop manual you can actually make out the correct order from that too.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If you think about how it goes together it is fairly simple. The engine firing order is 123456, and the cylinders are counted as:

Now because of the wasted spark system, and the knowledge that the coils are all on the front bank, it is fairly simple to figure out which cylinders run as pairs in the design. It isn't going to be 1 and 6 or 1 and 2 because those two options would see the cylinders wasted spark firing straight after the other cylinder in the pair had fired and things wouldn't work like that!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hey guys, couldnt see it mentioned anywhere, probably didnt look hard enough, but there was something mentioned about thicker cables 9mm. Is there a reason people havnt been getting those and just getting the 5mm ones?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yes - they don't make them for our vehicles. It has to do with the voltage and current required, different vehicles use different values which means different lead requirements. Don't worry, there's absolutely no gain to be had going for a thicker lead (even assuming you could get them, which you can't).

G

Unregistered
if you want thicker leads you buy non mivic FTO leads,
magnacore (sp?) sell 8.5mm leads for them and they fit, just a little tight,
also NGK also do leads for our cars, but unsure if there thicker

(these leads are also twice the price of the ICE leads for no real gain)

but thickness does not matter, its the resistance along the lead that matters,
the lower the better,

the ICE leads are about a 10th of the resistance of the factory ones?
some one correct me if ive wrong, they are much better than the original ones anyway

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
the ICE leads are about a 10th of the resistance of the factory ones?
some one correct me if ive wrong, they are much better than the original ones anyway
Here it is Carsten:

The 9mm cable is either 1000 ohms per metre (Race 1000) or 100 ohms per metre (Pro 100). We also have 5, 7 and 8mm in 2000 ohms per metre (Performance 2000). The reason we had to make the leads in 5mm is because of the components which make up the spark plug tubes and coil ends. They are only available to suit 5mm cable, so that is what we have to use. Do not be put off by the diameter, it is the core that is important. The factory core would be more like 10000 - 15000 ohms per metre, which wastes a lot of the spark's energy before it gets to the plugs. The diameter relates to the heat insulation, and because the leads do not run near the exhaust as with a conventional engine, it is not an issue. In fact a 7, 8 or 9mm lead would perform no different if it had the same core.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Will be getting some of these soon Tom, going to phone up in the next couple of weeks. Dont know if there will be much saving with two of us or whether you already have them at this point but thought id let you know.

G

Unregistered
A big thanks to Bill and Derek for doing all the legwork!!:D

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Revival of old old thread :)
I want some of these leads big time and i finally found the links.
Killer.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
Revival of old old thread :)
I want some of these leads big time and i finally found the links.
Killer.

my thoughts exactly. illl be call michael tomorrow.

Top Bottom