frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Hey guys. I know i wont be the only one, but SHIT im having a hard time affording the maintenance on my VR4 lately. Im talking literally, i have oil covered spark plugs, completely broken and crumbling rear diff/crossmember mounts, suspension that feels like it needs a service, ticking lifters like a tractor, no oil to top up with or for my next service, my clutch is on its way out, i have <10% left on my rear brake pads and all of my rotors are now illegally worn down to the point my slots are almost flush. Oh, forgot to mention i had a flat tire today, and its rooted. Sitting on a space saver now. My AYC is also due for a service... overdue..

So, to the point, i have a really large area under the house, which i stockpile things i plan to sell, or wait for someone to need, at which time i can sell faster, or use myself when the car breaks which it seems to alot when you cant afford to maintain it...

For the first time ever, ive considered selling my VR4 and buying something cheap to maintain till my money situation turns around.
Thats a worst case scenario, as i think id be very depressed without my precious lol.

If anyone has anything they dont want, VR4 related or not, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. One mans junk is another mans treasure...

Can get me on 0423 591 491 or PM/Reply. Not sure if this is in the right section or even if its allowed :p So if not, please let me know..

Cheers :D

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I'm pretty sure I have some brake pads that you are more than welcome to. Nt sure of the brand, they are the ones that came with my car, still have a decent amount of meat left on them. I also have a set of standard rotors which you can also have, though one of the fronts is warped slightly. not stupidly, but enough that you can feel under moderate braking. Still have enough meat on them for a machining too.

I still have my old plugs too. There's nothing wrong with them as such, I just replaced them when I first got the car

I could possibly donate some MBL8 to quieten those lifters down for a bit too, i'd just have to check how much I have left.

I could also donate a set of Bridgestone RE01s in a 235/40/18 with maybe 30-35% life left in them for you to use/sell/swap/whatever.

Only problem with all this is I'm in Sydney, but we could maybe work something out if you would like any of this stuff.

I'm a strong believer in karma :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Maybe we can all chip in to service Josh's car in return for him promising to start treating it right, i.e., stop launching & thrashing the bejesus out of it lol :p

Man what do you do to have all these problems mate? :cry:

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Sorry to hear you're in a bad situation mate... At least your million dollar diff is holding up... just cant say much for the mounts :( .. things will come around for you buddy!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Maybe we can all chip in to service Josh's car in return for him promising to start treating it right, i.e., stop launching & thrashing the bejesus out of it lol :p

Man what do you do to have all these problems mate? :cry:

haha im not after anything like that :)

I dont really hoon like i used to when i first got the car, im trying my best to save on fuel and get the thing back into a good condition. I havent had it 100% 'good' in over a year, there has always been SOMETHING needing a fix.
I think the car was heavily driven by the previous owner in japan too, seeing as it had project mu 2 piece rotors, aftermarket koyo radiator, variable fan speed control, a grex oil filter relocation kit with a cooler, ralliart extras (braces, suspension), project mu braided brake lines, i think it probably even had aftermarket seats pre-compliance, seeing as the "standard" ones i have in the front have a different pattern/colour to any other vr4 i've seen... So i'd say the thing was thrashed alot.

I think priority 1 at the moment are those rear mounts, im terrified of damaging that diff seeing as i spent upwards of $3000 getting that thing fixed/fitted. I had a guy in the sunshine coast who got TTVR4's old wreck, but i havent been able to contact him since i lost all my numbers. He was going to let me take the mounts from the wreck.

Ill get there :D :D just a frustrating process when by the time you finally fix something, something else has broken either as a result, or just over time...

Also mick - thanks alot for that, ill send you a PM, ill see how much it would cost me for postage. I have some new spark plugs from a while back that i just havent fitted, the main problem is the spark plug seals (hopefully thats all it is..) that have let oil coat my old ones.. Also, i should be ok with the lifters being noisy, i kinda want to just get in there when ive bought the seals, and change those around at the same time. Im going to be having a go at getting one of those special lifter removal tool things..

G

Unregistered
Josh give me a list of what you need dude ok,i cna get some stuff over for you man.....do you still have the SAFC aswell?? ill prolly take tha toff your hands..
pm me ok
Regards
~Q~

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Thanks quinton, ill send a PM. Im sure we can work out some form of trade for the SAFC

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I've got half a bottle of Pro-Ma MBL8 if you want it to help quiet down the lifters....
Just need your address to post it to (should only cost me a few $ as fairly low weight)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Unfortunately i've used MBL8 in the past, and my lifters appear to be beyond help with this now.
This is probably my priority list at the moment:
1. Mounts (they literally feel/sound like something is going to fall/shake off underneath the back of the car, and it feels like there is movement in the driveshaft... ALOT of it. you feel it every time you press or release the pedal. cant be good for the diff..)
2. Spark plug seals/lifters/plugs. I already have a set of BKR7EIX for this, im going to look into. While ticking, the car literally feels like its lacking aLOT of power, till the ticking stops. You actually feel the car drive smoother once the ticking dies down. Cant be doing the engine any good.
3. Rotors and pads should last me a little while longer yet, no grinding sounds at this point, though they feel very warped.

Also had some good news today, the tyre is repairable, which saves me buying a new one. They were almost certain yesterday that it would have been stuffed from being driven on flat, but apparently only minor damage inside, not enough to be a safety issue.

Top Bottom