Engine Light showing under load...

RichoAus

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Anyone ever noticied their engine light flash quickly on/off whilst under load?

I've searched old threads and a few people mention the engine light coming on whilst starting the car or staying on while driving or when the car is running rough but nothing about a quick (2 second) light on and then off again...

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?8465-HELP!!!!-ENGINE-LIGHT-IS-ON&highlight=engine+light
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?4312-Engine-light...&highlight=engine+light

I take it best just to run the diagnostics?

Just to add the car seems to be running fine otherwise..no noisy tappets, signs of engine trouble etc..

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Yes, run codes.
Your ECU may have been reflashed at some point and set to flash CEL with knock.

RichoAus

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Ah I think that might be it actually... I know the ECU was reflashed by the previous owner and I'm pretty sure he had it set for knock detection...

I'll run the diag's anyway just to be sure

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
If its the new load then yes it could be, was talking to Steve last night and he mentioned the codes weren't sorted very well with that one yet.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Id be surprised if that was it, it's only a recent thing and involves code mods, who owned the car previously?

RichoAus

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
If its the new load then yes it could be, was talking to Steve last night and he mentioned the codes weren't sorted very well with that one yet.

Paul mentioned Steve's name as the one who provided him with the ECU reflash. You wouldn't happen to know when a new release is due out would you Simon? Sorry not exactly sure who Steve is as yet...

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
CEL on knock is activated on that one. This is the ECU map on it: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59075-Kenneth-s-ECU-Mods-V1.03

CEL on Knock is activated, NLTS & Launch Control are off.

I used to get it occaisionally on Shell 98. BP & Caltex 98 didn't cause the light to flash up at all. Might be worth trying 98 at another servo as it can drop octane when it sits in the servo's storage tank for too long.

If i'd have kept it i'd have got Steve to tune it. He's got some great results with other cars, i'm sure he could squeeze a few more kW out of yours.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
You have an MX5 now Paul? Looks like an NA? 1st model? I like em...nice work!

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
[Thread hijack]
Was looking at a 924 or 944 but needed something to fit my surf ski. A guy on MX5CarTalk and a few guys in the US use the roll bar and foam over the front window to tie the surfski down like this:
mx5 kayak.jpg

My goat boat is just too long for a front engined Porsche.

I found a nice 1.6 NA model which had an immaculate interior, a half done cold air intake (which i fixed properly so it gets air from under the windscreen), nice wheels and a beefier exhaust. I changed the oils and added a 4 point Ultra Racing chassis brace and YellowSpeed coilovers from mx5mania the day I got it. Had fun yesterday toying with an XR6 Turbo on the Old Pacific Highway in it, i'm beginning to suspect a previous owner put an LSD in it.

As I type this my Cams approved Brown Davis Roll cage has been dropped off at home and i'm waiting on a mohair roof from the UK to arrive. Should be a nice looking example by the time i'm finished it.

I'll do some pix on the weekend once i've put the cage in and start another thread to show it off.
[/Thread hijack]

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Surf ski mount with the handy side effect of chassis stiffness. Excellent.

So.....turbo? >:D

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I had an nb for a while.... nice things they are. well at least the cel is sorted :)

Top Bottom