Engine Oil Lab Test

G

Unregistered
shit i think im changing oil now. im going for the penrite synth 5. i was using the mobil synth s, thanks for the info emanuel.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Like to see how Castrol Edge 0w-40 would do.

I'll wait for that one.

I actually went the Castrol Edge Fully Syn over the Penrite one.

Mistake maybe ?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
still an interesting way of doing it, and would show some relevance to engine testing though.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Well I use Royal Purple Max Gear (75/90) in my skyline gearbox. Definately made it nicer to shift, and seemed alot better than whatever the compliance shop put in there. So Royal Purple seems to have their wits about them, but I think bottom line is, whatever oil you use, regular changes/service is what keeps engines in top nick ;) Every 5k reglardless of brand I think is a smart thing to do.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yep, 5000km changes of average 10w40 semi-synth is going to be better than 20000km changes of the very best 0w30 fully synth.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Mate of mine runs Slide-FX drift team in WA, he has it in all his cars. Yes he is also sponsored by them and a distributer as well, i'm about to put it in my Sil80, i'll let you know if i notice any difference

Yes i've read the magazines post script, but all the oils were tested under the same conditions and still a load and pressure bearing test.

G

Unregistered
I have to say the Royal purple 10w40 is not high in my books as I have done less than 2000km and the engine is now tapping a bit.

I think I'm going to stick with Penrite.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Emanuel there's an exhaustive analysis of gear oil on the Amsoil site which shows where Royal Purple shines, and where it fails (and a good comparison with a lot of other brands, too). While that is gear oil I think its a good indication of the products each manufacturer is putting out - most use certain additives or oils with a certain chemical advantage in some areas, which makes them fall behind in others (for example fantastic shearing strength but poor mechanical stability, causing them to break down extremely rapidly).

There's a link to that somewhere on the forums elsewhere.

G

Unregistered
So whats the outcome of all this?? Gotta do the oil soon and i dont really want to be putting the wrong one in....

Is it simply a matter of suck it and see?

Cheers, Bart

Perry

Crunching Gears
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 TJ Magna Sports
bloddy hell, some of them oils i woul't run in my car, i wonder how magnatec would perform

G

Unregistered
can this be bought from normal auto stores, or is one of those hard-to-track down oils? also whats the RRP onit?

Cheers Brad.

This has been posted before, but there it is again.
You will have to make an order and they will post it to you I think.

Amsoil dealers in Australia

VIC, TAS, NSW, ACT: A1 OILS – Australia
Peter Crossing
Po Box 7007
Broken Hill, NSW, 2880
PH: (08) 8087 7890
FAX: (08) 8088 7518
MOB: 0427 269 645
WEB:www.a1oils.com.au
Email: info@a1oils.com.au

WA: Dean (Doc) Harrison
Synthetic Lubricants WA