Engine options.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Ok now I won't know for sure until I do a compression test when im back in the country. But my mechanic mate has my car doin the ayc rebuild. Now he has checked the engine oil and has commented it smells like fuel. Now I will not pull this engine down if its on its way out, Ill run it till it dies.

Now the question I put to u all is if u had the ability what would u do. I have looked at some options and this is what I've decided. 1 of 3 paths.

1st. 4g63t maintaining 4wd system.
Not my preferred route but probably cheapest for outright power and ease of install

2nd. 2jz out of supra running rwd. So transmission tunnel fab work and I would probably try for an uprated LSD diff that would be bulletproof. (Suggestions on this would be nice.)

3rd. RB26tt. Same work as 2nd option.

My aim if this all goes ahead would be fastest/ most powerful legnum

As u all know I can do all the work myself. But want a motor that has ALOT of aftermarket support and reliable power. I want to chase 300-350kwatw. In a daily driver.

Let the suggestions and flaming begin. If any1 can think of any obstacles that I may come across please speak up.

Now I know the 2j has been done. So I don't see much difference in the rb. I would purchase a front cut that would supply all wireing,ecu ect ect

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
1st option and make it a 2.3 litre or larger.

Other 2 is a lot more work to basically make the car a commonwhore wagon :)

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Formanth did a UOA and fuel dilution was a concern. Dont know if he will come back on the forum now that his car is sold but maybe he could elaborate a bit more.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
I have spoken to Steve about it and hasn't heard of any other vr4 that have had this problem. It may not even be that bad. This could be the main reason for 5k service intervals. Fuel dilution of the oil.
I can certainly understand I'm running double the original boost so some blowsy should be expected. I did notice when I made my intake y off the maf it was filthy with oil gunk buildup.
And sleepy this will not be ur average commonwhore car. Lol.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Stroke a 4g64 to 2.6L, add oil squirters and youre away!

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
My head hurts just thinking about the work involved. I think your thinking into it too much and it will probably do another 100000ks lol Let us know how the comp test turns out.

Just buy a stagea if you want 300kw+

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Stroke a 4g64 to 2.6L, add oil squirters and youre away!

And this would bolt up to my original Gbox? I was hoping to not have to spend thousands on a forged motor.

I would prefer more work than more cost to build a motor up. That's why the rb and 2j sound so tempting. Not to mention the 2j is already 3ltr. Don't need to open motor to get the power levels I'm after.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
G'luck engineering any of those options. Your safest bet is a 4g63/4.
Pretty sure manufacturer states 10K oil changes. 5K is just what's been adopted in the automotive scene.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
G'luck engineering any of those options. Your safest bet is a 4g63/4.
Pretty sure manufacturer states 10K oil changes. 5K is just what's been adopted in the automotive scene.

I'm an engineer by trade. So the work will be more than upto spec. I don't know why ther would be a problem. I'm goin from 2.5 to 3ltrs. The car was originally turbo so that won't change. What do u see as the main hurdle in getting engineered?

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
+1 for 2jz or ls1 to truly make it a commo haha

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
If I was gunna go v8 I would go a toyota. 3uz-fe. But not really enough power.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
6g72tt pajero gearbox for Rwd

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
2JZ is the easiest engine to get power from but huge amount of work involved making it fit and engineering it.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2JZ is the easiest engine to get power from but huge amount of work involved making it fit and engineering it.

I would have to make lower crossmember for engine mounts. Make gearbox support. Cut trans tunnel. And fit a stronger diff into the rear cradle keeping irs. Sounds simple enough. Lol

I know reasonably simple but have done v8 hilux conversion and fabbed all mounts before.

Top Bottom