Engine options.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Shotgun your current intake and exhaust piping if you go down the RWD route.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Shotgun your current intake and exhaust piping if you go down the RWD route.

Lol I was waiting for the vultures. I would be selling most of this off to fund some of the front cut. U have first dibs.

I'm still yet to do comp test to determine weather the motor is actually bad. This isn't gunna be an overnight exercise but weighing up options.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
If this turns out great I will be cloning it.

May start my own conversion shop. Lol.

Will have to have a chat with a certifier to see legalities.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
I'm an engineer by trade. So the work will be more than upto spec. I don't know why ther would be a problem. I'm goin from 2.5 to 3ltrs. The car was originally turbo so that won't change. What do u see as the main hurdle in getting engineered?

I'm going to assume you want to run the car on public roads. In this case you being an engineer means nothing to them. Talk to an RMS certified engineer (aka RTA). They'd be signing off on your car and ensuring it meets ADR. Work that involves cutting and welding structural components needs numerical proof it's strong enough. You need to match the suspension & brakes of the donor car etc etc...

4G64 might be doable since at least the cars were made with that engine. But it was never turbocharged... Might get pinged for that and need emissions testing.
NSW is quite strict, hence g'luck. Honestly you'd be better off working on the 6a13

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
If I was gunna go v8 I would go a toyota. 3uz-fe. But not really enough power.

I'm sticking one of these into my Mark IV Supra at the moment. Will be NA for a start, but plan to twin turbo it later with forged internals.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
option 1. Maybe but stroke it etc
option 2/3. Just buy petes stagea

there's probably nothing wrong with it, is it blowing smoke? Using oil?, losing coolant? etc

Want to get serious? Build a stroked 6g75 with good forged bits, diamante 30m mivec heads (if they fit) pair of fp blacks or garretts, easy 500atw

I think mitsfix do the bellhousimg to suit

Oh any rear drive option will probably require a stronger diff and driveshafts, maybe tailshaft too.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
For the amount of money it sounds like to spend going th 2J route, I'd just buy the Prism rods from the CRV4 group buy, and forged Wiseco pistons from IPP, fit something in the TD04 flow range (you can make the ex manifolds to suit, 1000cc injectors and shoot for 500hp. Only difficult part is the manifold to fit the 04's Plenty of options from Kinagawa at decent price.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Agree, stick with the 6a13 and make manifolds for all :)

Should be enough interest to fund your rebuild, only thing you'll be short on then is time! ;-)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
The main thing I wanted was a motor that had a lot of support for mods. Everything on the 6a is custom. And it's a road that not many have travelled. At the end of the day I want to be different. Y? Cause I can. Lol.

Time will tell, have to get home first to determine severity of possible blow by. Or at least try and track down how the fuel is possibly getting to the oil.
Maybe minor, just my mech has me worried.
Like I said Steve. Seems to be running fine. Never used oil. Only ever blew smoke when sat around for a week but cleared up within a minute of running. U know urself when it was on the dyno. She sounds good, doesn't make any unusual noises( other than lifters but not constant)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Agree, stick with the 6a13 and make manifolds for all :)

Should be enough interest to fund your rebuild, only thing you'll be short on then is time! ;-)

If people want the tdo4 manifolds I can do this. I'm currently workin on getting a dead motor and front cut for a dummy setup. So I could theoretically make whatever u want. If any1 in Sydney has this and wants to separate with it would benefit the whole community. I would make this a bolt in kit. Price range? No idea.

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
If people want the tdo4 manifolds I can do this. I'm currently workin on getting a dead motor and front cut for a dummy setup. So I could theoretically make whatever u want. If any1 in Sydney has this and wants to separate with it would benefit the whole community. I would make this a bolt in kit. Price range? No idea.

This would make a lot of people happy haha

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The main thing I wanted was a motor that had a lot of support for mods. Everything on the 6a is custom. And it's a road that not many have travelled. At the end of the day I want to be different. Y? Cause I can. Lol.
Keeping and building a tough 6a would be different, no one has done a forged rebuild in Aus that I know of.
When I rebuilt mine back in 2010 it was the wife's car, so there was no need so it stayed OEM. I never expected the car to become mine not long after that, plus I organized a group buy of piston and rods but all but 1 pulled out which left me somewhat out of pocket. Shits me as I could use them now.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Dude you missed out, we did a group buy on forged pistons and rods a few months ago. Im in the middle of building my engine.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Good to hear Rob, what pistons you using, group buy where CVR4?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I ended up getting custom made wiseco pistons and rings from the states. Actually sorry we didn't start a group buy thread, me and another member organised these parts.

Top Bottom