Engineering Certs for Performance Mods

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've been noticing with no small distress the extremely large numbers of performance cars with aftermarket rims, FMICs etc driving around in Perth at the moment with 'yellow stickers' - the defect notice stickers that police apply to a windscreen when they determine that a car isn't roadworthy, forcing it to be taken to a licensing centre for inspection and clearance. There is clearly an agenda within the WA police force to target such vehicles, which is inconvenient at best and financially crippling at worst for WA car enthusiasts (imagine having to get a car cleared with substantial modifications done to it - in some cases it could costs tens of thousands of dollars).

I was intending to post this in the WA section of the forums, but then thought a discussion of engineering certification in general could benefit anyone in Aus. If admins feel differently, feel free to move the thread.

What I'd like to find out is if anyone knows what the regulations are in each state regarding aftermarket parts and modifications, so we can work out what we need to do to make our cars compliant and immune from Police harassment. Such shared knowledge could also lead to finding someone with the requesite qualifications that's sympathetic to our predicament, who would be willing to provide the relevant documentation or service at a fair rate.

So what do we all know?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I know that in NSW you can't just get any engineer to certify modifications. You have to use an RTA approved signatory as listed here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi15rev-12_july07.pdf

Also this is a really good document to keep on hand, this is all the NSW RTA guidelines for light vehicle modifications:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

And the web page these all came from:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html

Definitely worth bookmarking for our NSW members

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hey that's exciting - there's a whole ONE GUY / Workshop in WA that's certified...

/end sarcasm

:(

Thanks Paul, that's extremely useful stuff!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
No problem mate :) That's the RTA though, I thought it only applied to NSW, but I'm confused now lol

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
You must remember that if you have engineering certificates for every modification and it has been passed by the inspectors, it doesn't mean that the cops can't still defect you.
I've known a few people who have been defected for mods even though it is engineered and approved by inspectors. It all comes down to the mood of the cop that pulls you over and their understanding of engineering certificates etc...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Well there's nothing to stop cops being a$$holes... Except their dept, the law and the courts, but we all know they let their own boys get away with pretty much whatever they like :(

At least if you have an engineering cert then you can explain that to the police in question, and in my experience as long as you're polite they should be ok, unless you get one on a bad day. Sadly the fact that the dept is so lax about disciplining those who abuse their power and there is very little in the way of laws protecting us from victimisation means there is NEVER a guarantee that you will be left alone, especially if you drive a car that attracts their attention...

G

Unregistered
You must remember that if you have engineering certificates for every modification and it has been passed by the inspectors, it doesn't mean that the cops can't still defect you.
I've known a few people who have been defected for mods even though it is engineered and approved by inspectors. It all comes down to the mood of the cop that pulls you over and their understanding of engineering certificates etc...

BINGO!

a yellow sticker/defect/dpi racing sticker/canary/licky/whatever you want to call it, is merely a bit of paper they give you when THEY HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE the car is unroadworthy.

doesnt matter if it is/isn't roadworthy, you could get a defect the second your car rolls off the showroom floor.

that is why you go to the pits, to clarify if it is infact unroadworthy, if not, you go on your merry little way. :)

permits can help, but again.. i had a permit for my 450x280x60 intercooler that used stock piping and it mentioned "a front mount intercooler was fitted", i then changed it to a 600x300x76 unit with a hole through the chassis to route the pipe though.
technically i had a permit for an intercooler, just not the fitted one.. which could have been stickered.

Top Bottom