EOI: Queensland Flash tune day by Merlin in August

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
first up, big thanks to dave. wow talk about knowledgeable.

good to hear jamie's car went well. thats a big surprise. did the vac lines on the throttle elbow stay there?

im rather devastated about the coils. they are quite temperamental. On the drive home they were fine.
so i upped the boost to 20psi to see what you happen....backfiring like all hell, like i had bloody antilag :/
down to 17, still backfiring, maybe everyone 500rpm past 4K
down to 13 or 14 and its all good. sometimes backfires pending ambient temperature

i will get this sorted i hope.
step1: borrow one coilpack, pull error codes
step2: replace broken coilpack
step3: individual coilpacks.....$$$$ :(

dave, did you up the rev limit at all? plus, ill endevour to measure the resistance of the leads

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Chris, can you confirm the ISCV changes were an improvement?
20*C was not changed
34*C has a small change
50*C has a larger change
Only the A/C Off table was changed

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Hey Tim,
Thank you for a well organised tune-day, pretty good venu.
Yes, I did catch the plane, despite the security girl wanting to sniff me for god-knows-what.
I will review Tims log files and see if I can find an answer.

Paulie, another victim of the dredded weak/faulty coil/lead syndrome - damm.

Jamie, surprise packet there. And talk about lucky, rocks-up, he and Christian bolt a HID boost controller on, no adjustment, almost dead flat 15psi, thank you very much. Wow!
And pulls something wicked...
Pitty about the pod though, another example of intake air temps 30* higher than they should be.
The really interesting find though was his car, with the VTA-BOV, did not seem to be upsetting the ECU / MAF.
Further, it did (apparently) eliminate the usual lift-off knock that is a common effect with the Evos and VR4s.
Maybe its the model, or physical location, or spring pressure, or vacume tapping point used, dont know, but it worth further investigation.
So, Jamie, post the details of type/spring pressure and plumbing please.

If or when there is a next session, maybe make it a two day thing, so we can spend more time on the problems and give the already tuned guys a chance to catch-up with any developments etc.

Dave

HKS SSQV is the type of bov, same as myself and christian run. both of us too, hav never had any trouble when running VTA

G

Unregistered
Hey Tim,
Thank you for a well organised tune-day, pretty good venu.
Yes, I did catch the plane, despite the security girl wanting to sniff me for god-knows-what.
I will review Tims log files and see if I can find an answer.

Dave

Good to here you caught the plane...girls sniffing you - wish I got more of that at airports lol:LOL:

If you find anything in the log files let me know - will wind back the boost and slowly wind it up, adjust the mbc to see if I can get rid of that spiking, or at what level it begins to be an issue.

Venue worked out ok after battling with Saturday traffic for a while - lets see if I get any complaints on Monday about using next door's land as a drag strip....Not to worry wouldn't be the first or the last!!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
that's really a surprise for Jamie's car..

having those 2 nipples just plugged into that silicon really did worry me though..

G

Unregistered
yep had fun my car was running real good thanks christian for jumping in and helping appreciate that yeh my back yard skills need to be more how u say professional provisional hyperdonticle but will remedy the possible probs not having any beside temp issues due to my big intercooler piping not leaving space for the standard air box but those long silicone piping that runs from the intercooler wer did u guys get yours, member paul said somethin but cant member,aany way just to let you know it took me bout 5mins to find a v8 that was keen to have a go had to drop my son at petrol station with my mate as merlin put it pissing my fuel smoked him hehe 2008 senator i think he should of bought 4 vr4's

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Chris, can you confirm the ISCV changes were an improvement?
20*C was not changed
34*C has a small change
50*C has a larger change
Only the A/C Off table was changed

hey Dave, just curious, what temp does the fan kick at full song?! cause I noticed that when I pulled over its only running at low speed.. but its nice and cooler now compared to the factory setting..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Dave is talking about the changes to the idle speed control valve he made on my car because I told him my car seems to idle higher then other VR4s when its cold. Haven't done enough driving to be able to confirm anything yet but Ill keep an eye on it and let you know Dave.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Christian, when mobile, main fan - 100% duty cycle at 96*C.
Less at lower temps, then off below 88*C.

When stationary, either it is as above, or something else from a table I have not found yet. And I have spent a lot of time looking.
Whatever it is, It does not look like Evo5-6-7-8-9. This one is giving me some grief.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Christian, when mobile, main fan - 100% duty cycle at 96*C.
Less at lower temps, then off below 88*C.

When stationary, either it is as above, or something else from a table I have not found yet. And I have spent a lot of time looking.
Whatever it is, It does not look like Evo5-6-7-8-9. This one is giving me some grief.

sorry i only saw this today.. anyway we can change it to a lower temp? I'll be installing a 76*C thermostat soon, and would like to compliment it with the fan kicking in at lower temps..

G

Unregistered
Christian,
Did you say this was a Magna Thermostat? do you have a part number?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I think the part number is TT299-170 made by Tridon..

also dont tell them its for a legnum or 6A13TT it'll confuse them if they're not that knowledgeable..

tell them its for a 6A12 motor off an FTO or Galant HJ-v6 model..

Top Bottom