Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Well my question is answered. That's the one for me! :D

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Got quoted roughly $1,310 for a Trust/Greddy Spec-V FMIC shipped to me from Jesse Streeter. Is it worth it? Can't really find many other good jap coolers to suit the VR-4. I believe ARC make one but its even more expensive.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Using stock turbos and shooting for 200kw (as most people do), I can't see how you could justify the expense. Evo cooler + custom hard piping is going to end up costing me around $500 all up, and will flow that sort of power no problem.

I take it they don't do a Spec-LS?

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
It's the full intercooler kit.

No they don't have a Spec-LS. Spec-V is the cheapest that they produce for the VR-4. What I'm "aiming" for is aftermarket turbos and a number a little higher then 200awkw :). What will the Evo Cooler flow? Obviously the evo guys are getting rid of theirs for a reason. Is there something that fits in between the two in terms of money and performance?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Spec-LS core & custom hard piping? I've been quoted $2-300 for replacement of all the factory rubber hoses... Ends up being around $7-800 if you do it that way.

G

Unregistered
The general consensus is that the Evo cooler will be good for up to 250kwatw, maybe more depending on the application.

Evo owners do upgrade them if they are trying to achieve stupid numbers and apparently the Evo Cooler is susceptible to heat soak (likely only noticable on the track or similar). On the other hand, like most other things, people upgrade stuff because it 'looks cool'.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
So Tim you reckon the Spec-LS core (280x600x76) is the way to go?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Seems a good compromise between a no-name cooler & the Spec-V kit. And cheaper than the full kit available on here.

I haven't used one myself, but I am looking to get one for the Silvia before it goes back together.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Aparrently the Spec-LS doesn't come as core only unfortuantely. Tried my local Trust/Greddy supplier and Jese Streeter.

Looks like I'll have to find someone else wh does good core only coolers. Any other suggestions?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Aparrently the Spec-LS doesn't come as core only unfortuantely. Tried my local Trust/Greddy supplier and Jese Streeter.

Looks like I'll have to find someone else wh does good core only coolers. Any other suggestions?

Hyperflow from the US of A do a frikkn' awesome cooler. I used to run one on my old car. Cost a fair bit, but the build quality was the best I've seen, core was as thick as a HKS drag cooler and there was VERY minimal pressure drop.

I doubt they make a off the shelf kit, but you could contact them.

OR

PWR from the gold coast (QLD). As they are the manufacturer/warehouse/distributor; you can tell them what you want and they will make it custom to size. I had a custom radiator made up and they were very helpful and easy to deal with. Price ended up bring cheaper then a koyo delivered from Japan, even though the custom radiator offered better cooling.

Just my 2c

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
PWR make great radiators, but their intercoolers flow too well and don't provide the cooling they should.
Depends on how much money you want to spend Lachlan. If you want the best, go here. www.are.com.au Richard has a massive amount of info on the site and a massive range of productions. You just can't match the R&D he has put into his coolers. ;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
apparently the Evo Cooler is susceptible to heat soak (likely only noticable on the track or similar)..

Do you have any more info on this or cant you point me at a thread on this? I find it a little strange?

G

Unregistered
Evo OZ - Aftermarket intercooler on 4/5/6

Evo OZ - Intercooler Core upgrade

Also had a quick look on Evolutionm but the same sort of thing is there, many peoples opinions and no-ones conclusive answers. But the general consensus is that if your pushing big numbers and say for example doing multiple runs on a dyno you will see a loss of power each run due to heat soak. Partly the reason why the Evo has an IC Sprayer standard.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
ok, so i've registered now on evo oz, how do i post in the introductions so i can view your link?? I can't seem to do anything, keeps coming up as an error
dis regard, i have to wait for admin to enable my posting ability. So until then i'll have to wait.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Hmmm, stock GT-R cooler might be a good way to go. Whats a fair price for one of those bad boys? They seem to flow well and handle a butt-load of power.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Hmmm, stock GT-R cooler might be a good way to go. Whats a fair price for one of those bad boys? They seem to flow well and handle a butt-load of power.

They are also 300mm high I believe, and not very cheap second hand.

Better of with a cheapo core, would flow about the same.

Top Bottom