Evo intercoolers

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
They are also 300mm high I believe, and not very cheap second hand.

Better of with a cheapo core, would flow about the same.

Not very cheap? Man you can get an R32 for $200 and R34 for ~$400 You obviously don't know where to look:LOL:
I reckon that's preeeety cheapo(y)

you'll need to change your piping as the inlet and outlet are shaped towards the rear of the car

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Gonna' go custom metal piping if that's the case so no biggy there.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Not very cheap? Man you can get an R32 for $200 and R34 for ~$400 You obviously don't know where to look:LOL:
I reckon that's preeeety cheapo(y)

you'll need to change your piping as the inlet and outlet are shaped towards the rear of the car

I haven't looked at pricing since about 6 years ago when they were all the rage...

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
What about getting a Blitz CS Intercooler Kit from JustJap (~$790), selling the piping and get custom hard piping done? I hear they are a pretty decent core.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
How does x3emotorsports' cooler line up in the scheme of things?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Lachlan

A lot of members on here have Ivans kit fitted. Lee (Leebutts) has one and its flowing 190awkw at the moment.

They fit perfect and are great value.

I cannot answer though, if they would flow & cool better or worse than a Jap name brand core.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I know it's a litle late but just for educations sake, the standard R32 GTR core in my car has no problems with 450hp ATW. So people that say they are restrictive and and run out of flow obviously are in error. In fact once i've run in my new engine, it should make close to if not a smidge over 500hp. Yes they were first made back in 1989 but they also made to complete in Group N racing :p

G

Unregistered
For most people on here (i.e people that simply up boost and clean up air/fuels) an evo cooler will be a perfect size upgrade. If you have the extra money go with Ivan's kit or others but don't expect to notice too much difference. FYI - The evo cooler that I put in mine was swapped out of factory duties only because it was in was starting to suffer heat soak at 260kw atw.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
For most people on here (i.e people that simply up boost and clean up air/fuels) an evo cooler will be a perfect size upgrade. If you have the extra money go with Ivan's kit or others but don't expect to notice too much difference. FYI - The evo cooler that I put in mine was swapped out of factory duties only because it was in was starting to suffer heat soak at 260kw atw.

Hey Marc,

Just to confirm that you bought it off an EVO owner whos output was 260?
Can i ask what the inlet temps were getting to for them to decided it was heatsoaked?

G

Unregistered
Sorry Simon I'm not sure of the specifics, my mechanic (Steve Knight from SA) removed it and had it lying around.

I can tell you the evo was putting out 260kw atw's and it was high intake temps that was the reason for getting rid of it,,,

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
After much deliberation I'm going with Ivan's kit. Seems it will flow good enough for the VR-4's level of modding, looks the goods (matching intercooler and radiator hoses FTW) and the power steering re-location kit seems to be a good addition. Such a long time to make a decision and it was staring me in the face the whole time! :p

Fazzle

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony (Fazz)
Drive
S1 Galant
Hey guys, no one has posted in this thread for a while but I shal ask my question as it is related to this thread.
I just read through all 12 pages on here.

I was tonight offered an Evo 8mr FMIC for a good price. So these fit easily? Don't need too much work to the brackets to make them fit right in? And also, don't need much work for the piping to fit for a prefacelift? If this is all true I think I'll take the offer of the intercooler. I'm only looking at doing full exhaust and upping the boost so these units would be perfect for me and also at my budget.

Cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It won't be much work at all. In fact it will be easier to fit than aftermarket 600x300x76mm intercoolers.

Fazzle

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony (Fazz)
Drive
S1 Galant
Thanks Brad. I think I'll take it and then with help of some friends with a bit more experience then me I'll fit it one weekend.

Cheers

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
One question.
Standard Evo IX cooler - will it fit my car no problems? i.e. will i have to cut the impact bar?

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
I've got a VII cooler, pretty certain that it's the same as a IX. I'll be attempting to fit it once the repairs on mine are sorted out.
I can bring it down on wednesday night so you can have a look see.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Those Evo IC got bigger with every model... that was the main reason why the intake pipe hit the impact bar on mine and I had to install it upside down... VII should be no issues.

Top Bottom