External Wastegates....GATE IT LOL...

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Fellas...

Im under the impresssion that a smaller sized wastegate is louder than a larger sized wastegate due to the mass of compressed air being forced through a smaller outlet???? It doesnt make sense to me as im under the impression the bigger the more volume it can expel hence a louder sound....

Also searching the net there are many different types and prices and i seem to notice that you pay alot more for a designer named brand (HKS,TIEL, JUN) for obvious reasons but can anyone speak from experience are the cheaper options just as reliable or does it basically come down to the craftsmenship and engineering put into them?

Also the sound of different gates is crazy how can you expect to tell wat a certain type is gonna sound like?

Sorry for retarted questions but hoping someone has a not so retarted answer :tongue_smilie:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
First of all, what are you trying to acheive? The stock turbos don't really need external wastegates and the manifolds are virtually impossible to drill into to get externals in.

If you want it for the noise and only the noise, well i've been in a VR-4 with twin external venting wastegates and it sounded INSANE, well recommended although I'm sure that in Aussie it will be a serious defectable item.

If you want them for increased power or boost response, your car will feel better if you spend the same money (and it sounds like you know the price for a pair, factor in that much $$$ again for labour and installation) and you could spend the same money on big turbos, a full ecu or something else to give you much much better performance.

So to ask the question again, what are you trying to acheive?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I'm sure that in Aussie it will be a serious defectable item.

Yeah, quite the understatement...

In Victoria, at least, you're opening yourself up to the possibility of up to $10k in fines.

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
if the external is plumbed back in and you dont have a screamer pipe,then its legal here.but just how and where you drive it ,weather you attract attention or not.my mates aristo (630hp)has a screamer and been cruising round with it for 2 years now.its insane.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
in reply to tim: i dont think qld is that bad....then again, same fine for no cat convertor so who knows, ill look into it

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
First of all, what are you trying to acheive? The stock turbos don't really need external wastegates and the manifolds are virtually impossible to drill into to get externals in.

If you want it for the noise and only the noise, well i've been in a VR-4 with twin external venting wastegates and it sounded INSANE, well recommended although I'm sure that in Aussie it will be a serious defectable item.

If you want them for increased power or boost response, your car will feel better if you spend the same money (and it sounds like you know the price for a pair, factor in that much $$$ again for labour and installation) and you could spend the same money on big turbos, a full ecu or something else to give you much much better performance.

So to ask the question again, what are you trying to acheive?

haHa man your funny, youve followed my comments around the forum abit lately so i think you must know im looking into a single turbo conversion before the end of this year i might add if certain things permit....

Im not hoping to pull massive amounts of power tbh...not yet anyways, but sorta wanted something different to everyone else and a single gt35r is about $440 from the us compared to the price of the upgradeable twins that everyone else uses....Madhavs are cheap but there bush type bearing I want BB....

Anyways i Youtubed some different types of Gates and they all sound pretty much the same even from car to car, obviously majority of them have not been plumbed back which is why they sound so mental so I was asking about the different types cause i dont wanna pay heaps for a name branded unit if a cheaper model is going to perform the same and be just as reliable...

I was hoping someone with some experience in this field with other cars WG's etc that they have owned before and give me something useful to work with.

I realise that external gates on out twin setup is a no go im not that dumb :drool:

So im enquiring because of the single conversion i plan to do

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Hah yeah, I replied to this thread first, then read the GT35R thread. For ease of plumbing, with a big single I'd recommend using two small wastegates, one on each bank, or use the integrated one on the turbo if there is one.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Hah yeah, I replied to this thread first, then read the GT35R thread. For ease of plumbing, with a big single I'd recommend using two small wastegates, one on each bank, or use the integrated one on the turbo if there is one.

The GT35 im looking at is not internally gated so i must go for the external option..... I thought the wastegate sat after the turbo housing so why would i use 2 if this is the case?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
OK makes a bit more sense i think.....so i guess that they plumb back into the exhaust after the turbo then?

So i want to mount them as close to the turbo as i can, what about where the 2 manifolds meet into 1 piece mounting the WG there closer to the turbo to reduce the amount piping required

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Cause if i decide to not plumb it back into the system 2 coming on boost to atmosphere will be too loud i think...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
external wastegate to atmo is LOUD!! sounds epic, but not suitable for a street car. if ur going a single turbo conversion, it may be worth while with ur custom manifold. but most times they arnt needed.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
in reply to tim: i dont think qld is that bad....then again, same fine for no cat convertor so who knows, ill look into it

Fine for atmo gate will be the same at the no cat fine. It is the same offence. So whatever that is in Qld.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Fine for atmo gate will be the same at the no cat fine. It is the same offence. So whatever that is in Qld.

Couldnt imagine it being any different here :sad:

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
So what about the size then, how do you decide between like a 38mm or a 60mm WG? Boost pressure can stll be maintained by changing the springs so how would you select the best sized gate?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Size is selected dependent on flow.

On the compressor side, 10psi through a GT25 is not even close to the amount of air being moved at 10 psi from a GT35. It works the same on the turbine side.

As Brad has said, a 40mm unit should suffice.

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
Unless you are running 1000hp just get a 35/38mm WG

Horsepower doesn't matter that much with wastegate size. BOOST control and exhaust flow does. You go with larger gates to get proper control of boost. If the wastegate is too small you will get boost creep.

Eg, on a supra i've worked on, with a Tial 38mm gate, we had problems keeping boost under 18psi with a 13psi spring. We swapped over to a 44mm gate and boost leveled out at 13.5psi. using a 13psi spring.

Top Bottom