External Wastegate... Screamer piping

ALSHWNOGO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kellie
Drive
Vauxhall VXR Monaro Turbo
Just wondering if anyone has put dual external wastegate/screamer piping on there VR4? Does it sound any good? Do you regret the Mod or am I the only stupid person to want to do it? haha

I know its a tight squeeze but right now while the cars apart and the custom manifolds are being made to fit the GT25's I might as well go all out.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so far i do believe you are the only one attempting this, i would DEFINATELY be doing it if i had the money. Legality is another story..

G

Unregistered
its been done here in nz,

waste of money,
very little if any performance gain on stock turbos.

and as any other (in my opinion) external wastegate/screamer pipe sounds like shit.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
what about on GT25s that Kellie will be running? might be more worthwhile

ALSHWNOGO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kellie
Drive
there is nothing legal about my car. Hence the plates its a show car.. A girls car at that. I have a huge soft spot for gate. Just poking around to see if there is anyone as stupid as me or maybe I just live in a la la world

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I must admit, screamer pipes done properly on some turbos sound good. On other cars and mainly those with stock turbos it just sounds gay and makes your car sound like a truck. Look on youtube for screamer pipe on a gt25 and see if anything comes up. Should give you a vague idea of what it will sound like.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
I am not too sure about legality at WA but here in NSW, if you got caught, that is $20k fine for you, it is the same fine on having an exhaust without cat.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Same here but not much chance of being pulled over by the mighty EPA. And the police just send you to the pits and you can just change it back before you go over. Bit risky though i see your point

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I say do it, only because I want to hear what it sounds like lol

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That and it's not your car, so not your problem if it all goes badly ;)

There was some discussion of the topic a year ago, Search is your friend :)

ALSHWNOGO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kellie
Drive
search is hard on mobile internet. I also have a road licensed R33 drag car with 60mm gate, thing would burst your ear drums. Cops in wa don't know there ass from there shoulder. For the drama it may cause I'm tempted to just forget about it but at the same time I might as well go all out because I'm hoping to make it one of a kind.. We'll see how much room is left I guess..

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Where are you going to find an external gate housing for a GT25?

From my understanding they are all internal gate.

Weld up the internal gate? Why bother, run "screamer" pipes from the internal gates and a decent boost controller and you'll have no issues with boost control.

blair141

Idling at the Lights
First Name
blair
Drive
1996 galant vr4
i am in the process of making screamers on mine (tdo3's).
the turbos already have the wastegate/exhaust blocker in there.
ive got the piping the flanges and everything. all i am waiting for is a free weeknd then i will do t. ill get pics for everyone too.
i am remaking the downpipes aswell

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Video or it didnt happen. Im very interested in how that sounds, on idle an WOT.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
idle should sound the same i'd have thought - but yes, WOT i am very excited to hear ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
On WOT they sound insane, but I too fail to see the point on stock turbos or on GT2554R's with internal wastegates.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
brad, the sound would be reason enough for me doing it.. but yeah ive been looking for a video of someone with twin screamer pipes on a vr4 for quite some time.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
I only say idle because some of the time they make the car sound like a truck at idle, low revs.

blair141

Idling at the Lights
First Name
blair
Drive
1996 galant vr4
have booked the vr4 into muffler shop tomorrow for the screamers to b made. will let you all no how it works out

Top Bottom