What happens if the wastegate is open all the time?

G

Unregistered
It is just a shame more people can't be helpful when a reasonable question is ask, instead of........

Sorry bout that but most of us dont understand what it is like to spend 45min getting to work and only going 4miles so most of us get good enough economy (with what ever we drive) with out needing fuel saving techniques.

Davezj

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum VR-4
hey tommo it certainly wasn't directed at you mate. i thought your answer was a good one, i thank you for your comments.

the aiming of my Paddington Bear Hard Stare must be off a bit, i will have to recalibrate it and try again.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: !!!!!!!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just to address what I think the intention of your theory was Dave, you'd like to know what sort of economy improvements could be gained from a VR4 acting like a NA car, right? Kieran may be correct in that the ECU might not have enough mapping points for circumstances beyond the range of likely 'normal' scenarios the designers set it up for, but regardless of that it should be possible for you to get extremely close to NA performance by applying the throttle very gently. As long as the car doesn't come onto boost, its essentially NA. You should be able to determine this using your boost gauge fairly easily - if you're keeping boost pressure down under a few psi then that's essentially NA performance.

Obviously this is harder to do with TD03's than any larger turbo. But essentially its as close as you're going to get with the 6A13TT (and as close as you really should want to go - it's a VR4 after all...)

Davezj

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum VR-4
Yes i agree what's the point in haveing a VR4 if you not going to drive it like a VR4 should be driven.

I have a bit of a lead heavy right foot and find it difficultto kep that boost down. that's why i want to be able to flick a switch which takes the lead foot effect away. but then flick the switch again and the beast is released.

it would be nice to achieve, but i am trying to lightern the right foot a bit anyway.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Trev highlighted why I think you'd be able to get better fuel economy with a larger pair of turbo's, they wouldn't jump into action as quickly as the td03's and let you drive more like an N/A more of the time.

Davezj

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum VR-4
you couldn't stop me using that extra power i would have to buy a produa calisa (if that is how you spell it) for a daily drive and keep the VR4 for kick starting the old heart on the weekend.

I wouldn't want to get to work too early in the morning.

Top Bottom