This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Nah, Im talking about ball joint, it should be full of grease and if there is any it had to escaped some how and then if there is not enough lube is wearing out.

G

Unregistered
Also they are pretty good quality, in EU they are selling febest as a OEM.

Whether or not that's the case, compare them side-by-side with the revised Japanese Mitsubishi items and there are differences. Even some non-genuine lower curved arms have failed in less time than an oil change. Anyone still insisting on using non-genuine branded arms after all that's been said here is setting themselves up for either an 'I told you so' or at worst a heartbreaking tragedy. Next time you are taking a big sweeper at 100kph with your friends or family on-board, think about this thread and ask yourself how much confidence you have in aftermarket arms.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
I totally understand that and maybe youre right, probably you are but the thing is Im checking my arms every 5k-7k km just to make sure they are ok and now I know OEM is OEM but for one set of straight ones I can have four sets of Febest. Even if Id have to change them every 2 years I still prefer doing this, at least Id know that I have brand new ones, and also I wouldnt buy Febest if I didnt have any experience with this brand, I was buying this brand for about 6 years for all my and my dads cars and never had ANY problems with them, also plenty of people in Europe using them in Galants and Legnums (Galant Wagon) with the same effect.

And to be honest I would love to see it if you can do comparsion like this, its possible that you can get one new straight lca from Febest and take some pics with Jap OEM?

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
hmmm just wondering where you have rest of this rubber boot... Any way for me that was the cause. All grease escaped and there was no lube at all. Just curious, can you put ball joint back in place?

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Also I still have a new febest left lca, so I removed the boot and it definely had grease in it .
I emailed febest all I got was "sorry to hear about that I will personally check our batch regards blah"

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Almost boot got torn as it came apart still had rubber with the wire attached at ball end and same at arm end so it was still intact until it popped

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
they wont do anything, what you expected? I dont think we will know now what was the cause but from my experience Im betting on rubber boot, you just had small hole in it and thats it

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thought febest was a rebranded 555 brand.. which is known for making quality aftermarket parts..|

but then again.. having 1st hand experience with these LCA's I'd only replace it with oem and check periodically then replace when it starts to show wear n tear

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
In its defence I have those crappy 45 angled gutters in my driveway wich was that right side arm I replaced .
Plus it was a very wet winter and the country roads ,yet my left one is probably still original from factory 170, 000 cheers

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Out of curiosity how long would it take to change the lca's while doing it on the driveway. Brought a set of Steve yesterday and need to do them soon

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Id say 20-30min one side, plus 5-10min more if you doing curved ones as well.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Pearl White 1998 PFL Legnum
Any news on a better than stock replacement??
I find it weird it's a recall/replacement item on our cars... but mits just give you the same item to replace them with... so we're replacing the weak part with the same weak part aren't we??
I'm looking at getting the Hardrace/Megan Racing rear control arms and front camber set up... was going to see if they could find something aftermarket for racing that could replace that control arm... any thoughts?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Any news on a better than stock replacement??
I find it weird it's a recall/replacement item on our cars... but mits just give you the same item to replace them with... so we're replacing the weak part with the same weak part aren't we??
I'm looking at getting the Hardrace/Megan Racing rear control arms and front camber set up... was going to see if they could find something aftermarket for racing that could replace that control arm... any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi have designed it abit better since the recall with the new part no. MR296295 and MR296296, i doubt they will be that dumb haha, because original part number were different so to me that means they looked into it and made changes.

But everyone's got to remember when replacing the front lower control arms with new genuine for them to last a long time the car suspension has to be pretty much standard when people start lowering their cars and what not it put more pressure on them (including the banana ones too.) and don't preform perfectly after time I'm most cases if you drive hard.

Top Bottom