This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
There's some spin in the ball joint not to much but since changing them out the steering doesn't feel as loose while going over uneven surfaces, could also be the wheel alignment.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
quick question do people mainly change the straight ones or the straight and the curved ones. thinking of doing to preventative maintenance shortly

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
I did both on mine, as well as upper bushes with ball joints and sway bar links, I think its better to change everything at once. If you change only one thing it will be stiffer and then more force will go on rest so after while youll have to change them any way

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
quick question do people mainly change the straight ones or the straight and the curved ones. thinking of doing to preventative maintenance shortly

it's mainly the straight one that can cause you havoc. but if they are clunking even after replacing the straight one, perhaps replacing the curve one will fix the issue

Reactions: Gav

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Now this is just an idea and I dont know enough about cars to know if this is possible. Most of you would know a new zealand company called Racefab they make freaking awesome stuff mainly for Mitsubishi's. I was thinking instead of getting the obviously flawed design that mitsubishi made we get racefab to make a full chromoly set with high quality ball joints ect. I know it wouldnt be cheap but if theres enough interest they may make some. Again just an idea not sure if it would change the longevity of them at all but I would be keen to give them a shot

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Aside from the recall there is nothing wrong with the factory one if you follow normal maintenance. Longevity isn't too bad at all.

The only flawed part currently sold is the cheaper aftermarket ones (going by experiences posted here).

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Yeah right I would love some nice shiny racefab parts though hahah if people are interested I may try and organise something because if you're replacing it you might as well make it better and lighter ect

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Just found this thread guys ,well just blew the lower ball joint .It was replaced nearly 1yr ago eBay special seller brand febest.
Original was starting to creek so replaced it with the intention of getting oem in a couple of months , but just clean forgot about it.
Symptoms were hard steering thinking the power steering was failing on and off, and the morning to work pulling to opposite side driving straight steering wheel was no longer straight.
The after noon home says 10km trip felt same as morning two blocks from home slow trew round about bam!! .

If I did make it home I wasn't driving it again until I found the problem ,bit late I guess. Luckily wheel folded in and cv stayed in tact ,had to move her so rolled home 5kph no damage other than my pride

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Hmmm I have febest front lower arms for over 50kkm and there is no play at all. Maybe your rubber boot was damaged. Did you chech how ball joint looks inside?

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Sorry haven't got it off yet 12hr shifts doing it on Friday so will post some picks then

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Thats why I asked about rubber boot cause thats the easiest way to damage ball joint. Also they are pretty good quality, in EU they are selling febest as a OEM.

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Well I can't see how the boot would be damaged in that amount of time it looked fine when I put it in but it's probably been damaged now getting home but will throw some pics up then

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Its enough to just pinch a bit and make really small hole in it. Then its just matter of time when will snap off. Id say that 80-90% of lca failures are because rubber boot.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Hmmm looks clean but there is no grease either. Take pic whats inside boot when youll take arm off.

Top Bottom