This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
57k means the car has spent a very long time sitting still... Probably worse for it than being driven...

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
^^^^ true.

I remember when i brought the car i changed the arms, and when my gearbox went, car sat for nearly 6 months not driving it, and when I got the gearbox reconditioned after driving it for a week had a crack noise when turning so replaced them again after 4ish yrs and no more noise now, better to be safe than sorry especially when I have kids in the back and my life and others.

hr31gtr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Philip
Drive
1999 EC5A Galant
2003 BP5 Liberty Gt Wagon (wifes car)
1997 GC8 Wrx (gone)
ok so i may have been off the mark there with $700 but $57.20 seems to cheap

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Is there any correlation between ball joint grease boot condition and arm life? My LCAs aren't much more than a year old but I think I have had the ball joint separator on them about 4 times now and the boot may be damaged.

I don't suppose you can replace just the rubber?

G

Unregistered
Is there any correlation between ball joint grease boot condition and arm life? My LCAs aren't much more than a year old but I think I have had the ball joint separator on them about 4 times now and the boot may be damaged.

I don't suppose you can replace just the rubber?

The ball joint boots are available separately and you'd want to do a really good job while inspecting the joints thoroughly.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just to add, if you want to replace just the rubber boot, replace the grease as well.. but question on how you can compact the grease into the housing is another question

low+vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 VR4 Legnum MT
So I've got the dreaded creak, going to check them over tonight. When ordering them, is it just the arms people ordered? No boots or anything? cheers

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Haha sorry champ
I'm using the mobile version and couldn't the country your from so thought you were in Oz. But yeah heard a few people contact bill from ralliart in N.Z.

low+vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 VR4 Legnum MT
Actually, not sure if this is a symptom of busted ball joints but I get a clunk when going over bumps, as the front of the car comes down, right front only. Just tried wheel test and got no movement so guessing it could be the teins

mitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
mitch
Drive
96 Legnum
To quickly explain, I did a wide right turn, I was driving nicely, maybe a little too quick for some but nothing crazy..

several meters after the car wanted to turn left.. feck!

anyway here's what I saw after pulling up..

As you can see the front left tire had pushed in towards the back.. causing it to push into the guard and sideskirts

And upon further inspection, this was what had happened..

and this is when I got dropped off at a train station and the tow truck about to drive away..

Im meant to replace them control arms in 2 weeks time too.. just as a precautionary..

but looks like I was a little too late..

damage isn't that bad, but sure isn't nice..

already got plans on how to attack it..

Paulie's lending me his set of control arms (thanks dude).. so I'll replace all of them once and for all..

then take it to my dad's friend's workshop to get beaten down.. lol I mean straighten up

so to those who hasn't replaced their control arms.. please replace it soon as it can happen when you least expect it..

*update*

and this is how you can determine if its on the way out..

[video=youtube_share;mLAwMrvFenE]
[/video]

video was from CVR4 which was uploaded by a member..

i experienced the same sound few months then it disappeared before it gave out..

did this happen near southport? i remember being up there for a holiday and driving past a car very similar to yours, with the same problem, near where all the road works were.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
did this happen near southport? i remember being up there for a holiday and driving past a car very similar to yours, with the same problem, near where all the road works were.

nope, Brisbane heading towards Fortitude Valley

mitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
mitch
Drive
96 Legnum
weird, i remember seeing the exact same thing around southport around that time lol.

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
I replaced my lower control arms and the right side was extremely free moving left not as bad but close. Only 2 year old and less then 80k.ks on them so inspecting them routinely is the way to go I reckon.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Very usefull, also there appears to be all the torque specs in the link you just posted.
Not that I'd get too concerned considering it is a press fit and its more about making sure it slides right down.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I replaced my lower control arms and the right side was extremely free moving left not as bad but close. Only 2 year old and less then 80ks on them so inspecting them routinely is the way to go I reckon.
According to the guide, you should be inspecting more for whether the bolt spins, than if the ball joint 'toggles'

Top Bottom