This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
If you are lucky the failure will cause you to hit another car I guess, then it's a matter of cause and effect

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Actually turns out to be easier than I remember, with the door open it should be reachable from the cabin side with socket plus extension bar.

Pantera6

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
CE
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type-S Manual w/ Recaros + Momo Wheel + Moonroof + Roofrails
For anyone looking to check the play in their LCAs and understand more about the recall for Lower Control Arms (LCAs), below is a link I found that supplements the information in this thread - it's for 95-99 Dodge Avengers which have had the same recall and share a similar suspension setup to the JDM 8G VR4s:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2146675-post20.html

G

Unregistered
Ford territories do it as well.
My mechanic has tested mine regularly and shown me how to do it, I discovered just last week my Galant needs new arms :)

Just jack it up off the ground so the wheels are unloaded, and check the balls and bushes for play with a pry bar. Mine had about 2-3mm movement and my mechanic reckons that is enough to change them, and I trust him to tell the truth, so there is very little room for "She'll be right" on this one.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just replaced my straight lower control arms again on the weekend and the car's quiet again :)
and on the not so brighter side of things.. thought I'd add my findings with the evo control arms and hubs

1. evo 8 hubs can work in ours, FL ABS sensors seems to match up. this is only with quick visual look
2. evo 8 control arms do not fit - A. it positions the hub about 2" forward. B. the front part of the arm holding the bolt is about 5-10mm wider - this is including the oe bushing in it. C. the bolt hole on the rear part of the arm isn't anywhere close, so even if you use custom bushing it won't work

BUT.. if you are using Coilovers like ISC, BC and others, you should be able to buy the bottom sleeve that mounts on the EVO Hub. All you need to do is get someone to fabricate a custom lower control arm to hold it in place :)

G

Unregistered
Ordered my LCA's, Curved control arms and Tie rod ends yesterday, ~$800 Delivered Express from NZ, will hopefully install them by/over the weekend.

G

Unregistered
Yeah AUD.
The killer was the express postage due to the weight of all 4 arms, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do haha.
I needed them ASAP and luckily Bill had them in stock and posted them within a few hours of my call.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Did my LCA's yesterday....
Mine seemed ok but was very paranoid...all the reading in this thread wow!! can't believe how catastrophic the failures can be!!

The ball joint moved about quite easy but had no play with hand pressure...

Quietened the front end down a bit though... now I don't have to worry about them for a while lol...

If in doubt.... do them people... they aren't that expensive and are easy to change out!!

Steve

PandaLeggy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brontey
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum vr4
yeah thought so. i have a knock in my front right over bumps, so i'm definitely looking into this...

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
Well that was a nice long read, how's everyone's LCAs treating them? I just bought my gen 8 vr4 Galant and first thing I have to do before I even get to drive it properly...........LCA's FML. But in typing this my wheel didn't fall off thankfully but the knocking had begun. I took it into the CV repair to originally get my drive shafts fixed as that's what I thought it was, chucked the car on the hoist and the bloke was like "fuck you need a new lower control arm" he checked the other side sure enough needed changing too. Not as bad but still, like someone mentioned earlier even if it's a couple of mm should still get it fixed. Hope everyone is driving safely and on OEM parts, Actually....... Is there anyone in here that's using the ebay parts? I know someone was and didn't last long, just hoping everyone has learnt. So glad I read this thread actually because, if I couldn't get the OEM ones today. I was probably going to buy the ebay ones myself, UNTIL I saw this thread. Thanks guys, love this forum. Respect!

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
Oh and sorry, I couldn't find out who Jon was when you guys mentioned him. S.A guy who does LCA work?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Oh and sorry, I couldn't find out who Jon was when you guys mentioned him. S.A guy who does LCA work?
Google Driven Motorsport. He's the go to guy for mechanical work for any and all imports.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Touch wood I have the eBay lower arms in mine with no drams as yet. Done over 40,000ks on em with lowered suspension and I drive pretty hard. But will be goin to oem as soon as I can just for piece of mind.

Top Bottom