This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Pearl White 1998 PFL Legnum
So i suppose on a lower car ideally you have an adjustable arm length so that due to it being lower it would be better to be slightly longer, and therefore keep the pressure even on the suspension and control arms?? i suppose the angle its at it also a big deal as it puts pressure through the ball joint at a slightly different angle??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
So i suppose on a lower car ideally you have an adjustable arm length so that due to it being lower it would be better to be slightly longer, and therefore keep the pressure even on the suspension and control arms?? i suppose the angle its at it also a big deal as it puts pressure through the ball joint at a slightly different angle??

the angle does not put extra load on the ball joint, the issue is with its the design. If you look up BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, and other multi link suspension setups all of them have the ball join 180° opposite to ours and you never hear any of them having this same issue as ours.

Yes they still do replace it, but I haven't heard of any incidents

low+vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 VR4 Legnum MT
Sorry to revive thread, i had mine replaced last week and now when i drive straight, the steering wheel is not straight and slightly to the right. What's the difference between the left and the right front LCA's as im guessing the garage put them on the wrong side, or i just need an alignment?

Quintenperren

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Quinten Perren
Drive
Legnum
Sorry to revive thread, i had mine replaced last week and now when i drive straight, the steering wheel is not straight and slightly to the right. What's the difference between the left and the right front LCA's as im guessing the garage put them on the wrong side, or i just need an alignment?
Just an alignment mate !

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
thought febest was a rebranded 555 brand.. which is known for making quality aftermarket parts..|

but then again.. having 1st hand experience with these LCA's I'd only replace it with oem and check periodically then replace when it starts to show wear n tear
Febest are rubbish, had one fail after 10 months. Genuine Mitsubishi or mopar(Mitsubishi labelled)straight arms are available on ebay from the US for under $100 each delivered

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
A while ago I thought I would change my banana control arms to febest because the boots were torn.
This is what I found after less than a year, only one side tho and ball joint was fine.
I replaced it with another febest one because of price, but I will monitor them all closely.
I never liked how the febest bushings arent pushed thru to centre....
febest lca 3.jpg
Febest lca.jpg

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Febest are rubbish, had one fail after 10 months. Genuine Mitsubishi or mopar(Mitsubishi labelled)straight arms are available on ebay from the US for under $100 each delivered

You wouldn't have a link would you Brenton?

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
The recall as far as I've read, is the ball joint dust seal was replaced with a much more sturdy one. a look at the old v's new is a big tell tale sign. The entire straight arm was replaced. to save the thing from failing and possibly having the car's suspension failing and the associated badness from occuring...
The newer dust seal is much more hard wearing hence not letting moisture and other contaminants in like the old versions...

My old car that was written off had the recall done and I changed them again at 80k for piece of mind.. the new one I brough in from Japan with 23,500km had the recall done and inspected them already..
No need to change them as of yet.. but am keeping an eye on the things just in case...
last thing I want is to lose another VR-4.

Tempast

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kyle
Drive
1986 300ZX Turbo
What are your thoughts on 555 parts? They're generally regarded as being OEM quality or better than OEM. My front straight arm is a 555 piece. My banana arm was a Beck Arnley piece with Mitsubishi stickers in a bag inside of the Beck bag. I know Beck buys from OEM as well as other aftermarket.

Top Bottom