jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
fuel usage

you could get a wideband sensor, which isn't much more expensive than a new oxygen sensor, and monitor it with a laptop, and see how it goes. Should be 14.7 in normal driving, 12-13 under normal acceleration, and down to about 10.5 when you're really trashing it.

Hey Brad,

I'm a newbie to this site, but have had turbo cars for 8 years now all Nissan, just thought i'd add my 2 cents regarding fuel mixtures.

I'm not a mechanic, but have a little knowledge with this tuning my cars over the years.

NOTE: this is a general guide, not intended to be taken as gospel, here we go;

When manfacturers tune their turbo cars, they do it to account for the worst possible temparature, driving conditions and guys/gals that absolutely flog the crap out of the engines. The engines have to last many years putting up with ridiculous amounts of abuse. If anyone has ever seem or read about what for e.g Holden do to their engines before they let them loose on the public, you will know what i am talking about here......How do they do this? Easy, extra fuel is added as a safety measure to help cool the cylinder head temps CHT's and avoid detonation. Timing is also not as agressive as it could be, ie there is a decent safety margin in the fuel and ignition maps.

**What follows below has the caveat that the timing map is pretty close to spot on, as no amount of fuel will stop a car detonating with too much timing!

Most naturally aspirated cars don't run any richer than 13.0 at full load, so really neither should your Leggy when not on boost or even as it approached the cross over point between full vacuum and boost.

Turbo cars running less than ~16 psi shouldn't need any richer than 12.0-12.2 at full load, otherwise you're just throwing fuel out the back for no gain.

16-25ish should see no more than 11.7 depending on cams
>25 will see it dip down to 11 and less.

Now before you guys go balistic, re-read my caveat** i am trying to add to the forum not be a _ick.

That said, the Legnum ECU is sealed and unless you add a piggy back computer or drop in an after market item, your ability to control fuel and ignition is very limited. I'd be interested to see how the SAFC's go?

If your fuel ecomony is crap, seems the only thing you/we can do is make sure the injectors are working properly, the O2 sensor is in good order and you add the best fuel you can get. Once that is complete disconnect your battery and see what you get! Otherwise accept it and enjoy the car:cool:

Now...be nice this is only my 3 or 4th post:D

At the end of the day, when tuning the car, it'll tell you what fuel it needs you just need to watch the CHT's

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yep, thats about right!

The stock tune is down to about 10-10.5 in most cars, large gains can be made by running them at about 12:1 or so.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yep, thats about right!

The stock tune is down to about 10-10.5 in most cars, large gains can be made by running them at about 12:1 or so.

Really? Well, that does bode well for potentially better fuel economy for us then:p

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
My last tank scraped in just below 10 l/100, only about half of that was country driving, im hoping to get much better on the current tank which should be 75% country

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
did 450kms on my last full tank... 3/4 of it was with the AC on.. I guess mine's doing better :D

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
oh i had air con on (eco setting) otherwise i would have been sweating like a whore in church

G

Unregistered
I've just used a tank with LUCAS injector cleaner and fuel light started flicking at 350KM to 370KM which I then filled up.
13L per 100km city driving with some hard drving on most trips.

So far 10.7L/100km is my best (HWY)
13L/100km is the most its used.

It did take me a couple of weeks to go through the last tank though as its not a daily driver at the moment.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
mine's currently done 300km and it hasn't even gone past the half tank..

Im a noob with measuring it with xx/100kms..

G

Unregistered
Wow thats great so you have lots more power and are using less fuel from your mods. Good work!

An example for working it out.

370km and filled up with 48.43L

370 divided by 100 =3.7
48.43 divided by 3.7 = 13

13L per 100KM's

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
You should smell my car when it's idling... super-rich :) Definitely looking into some mods in the future to help improve a few bits and pieces :)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
i prefer km per litre, i've been using this method for years.

Hey great figures Kristian, be interested to se how it goes once the AFC-R is configured

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Wow thats great so you have lots more power and are using less fuel from your mods. Good work!

An example for working it out.

370km and filled up with 48.43L

370 divided by 100 =3.7
48.43 divided by 3.7 = 13

13L per 100KM's

370 / 48.43 = 7.65km/L or in old speak 21.5 mpg
Now that's pretty bad. This is V8 fuel consumption territory!

My wifes Vectra that we are about to trade in on the Legnum gets anywhere from 12 to 16 km/L. That's a 2 litre 4 cylinder.
I"ll be disspappointed if my Legnum gets worse than 10km/L

G

Unregistered
Your comparing a naturally aspirated 100KW 2 litre 4 pot Front Wheel Drive to a twin turbo 2.5 V6 206KW 4WD. Dude, prepare to be dissappointed with the fuel economy but NOT with the driving experience.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
most of the time in normal driving you should be able to get between 9 and 11l/100km

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Your comparing a naturally aspirated 100KW 2 litre 4 pot Front Wheel Drive to a twin turbo 2.5 V6 206KW 4WD. Dude, prepare to be dissappointed with the fuel economy but NOT with the driving experience.

Dude, ive had turbo cars for 8 years now, i know what fuel consumption they can achieve. My Sil80 used to get 12.5km/litre or 8km per 100 and that was running the 2.o litre 6
Kristians' is a fine example of what can be achieved AND he hasn't tuned his SAFC yet, it should be better again!

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Did my first long run in the car sunday 400km's and took 41ltrs so pretty much on the 10l a 100, car has only done 700km's in australia so far and has been settling in, still smells rather rich when idling so need to see if i can have that fixed and might get better, aslo we have noticed before that the trip to orange always uses more fuel then the way home

so thats been gentle acceleration but in general was doing 120km/hr the whole way so it wasnt going that slow and it still did the 10l/100 so i am happy with that :)

my car is a 97 Manual prefacelift

G

Unregistered
So if you set it up with an safc or e-manage there shouldnt be any problem to have the car in the 0.8l/100 area?

When you drive calm

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I think you mean 8L/100km ;)

There are never guarantees, but of course improving your efficiency with upgraded fuel delivery components will result in lower fuel consumption for a given distance with similar driving conditions, yes.

Top Bottom