Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
if it is really screwed then there should be a code in the ecu, but I wouldn't imagine they would always be able to tell.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
So is there anyway you can check the O2 sensor without replacing it ?
according to LeeButts price list its kinda expensive ...
Engine Control Oxygen Sensor . . . . MD189008 . . . . $419.10
Yes it is... from Mitsubishi Australia. Its not nearly as bad from Mitsi Japan though ;)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
you could get a wideband sensor, which isn't much more expensive than a new oxygen sensor, and monitor it with a laptop, and see how it goes. Should be 14.7 in normal driving, 12-13 under normal acceleration, and down to about 10.5 when you're really trashing it.

And that is the main problem with the tune in these cars. 10.5:1 is stupidly rich. I wan't to get mine back to about 12ish at the richest. There is no need for them to run so rich, must be a safety thing from the factory.

G

Unregistered
$420, holy shit.... i thought $200 for a RB25DET O2 sensor was a rip off!

is it comparable to any other O2 sensors? i know with the RB25DET you can use one off an EA falcon, and just wire on the nissan plug, and it only costs about $80.

i usually struggle to hit 200km before the needle hits the halfway marker, but yesterday we went for a drive to bunbury, and i did 200km to just over the first 1/4 of the tank!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yep, they don't know what fuel you're going to put in, how you're going to treat the car, or what sort of climate it is going to be in, so they make everything safe.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
on the MUTII they can run a datalog on the o2 sensors and check the switching voltages are ok. it will give them a graph and show it switching between 0 - 1 v

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
My last tank was 420km, using the air con on normal (at about 20-21 degrees) a fair few times and not on eco and giving it a few spirited drives. I'm pretty happy with that now. I'm getting just a little less than what I was getting with my old quad-cam tr magna but waaaayy more power and fun :D

It should be interesting to see how it goes when I get a few more mods on and the E8 fitted and tuned later on in the year.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Well as of today my best fuel consumption figure is 12.4l/100km and that aint real satisfactory considering 160km out of 217km was freeway. Although the disclaimer is - full load, 3 adults, 2 kids and a pile of crap in the back, suitcases and all.

So what are the first things to check?
Injectors?
How can an oxygen sensor be checked as such? Mitsubishi dealer, any workshop?

We booked the car into Brisbane Tuning and Turbo Centre and they did a diagnose fuel system $109, supply and fit oxygen sensor $245, and carbon clean$220, + GST= Total cost $631.50 Which seems cheep if the oxygen sensors are that expensive.
Address,17 Nile st,
Wooloongabba
Ph 33931588

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I just got 420km from the purple VR-4, it needed about 46 litres.

The blue ST-R has travelled 623km, and the petrol light just came on :) I think I'm going to try for 650km, round numbers are nicer :D

G

Unregistered
on the MUTII they can run a datalog on the o2 sensors and check the switching voltages are ok. it will give them a graph and show it switching between 0 - 1 v

MUTII ? I really need to get it checked out ... something isn't right if I'm not even hitting 300km per tank ...

G

Unregistered
We booked the car into Brisbane Tuning and Turbo Centre and they did a diagnose fuel system $109, supply and fit oxygen sensor $245, and carbon clean$220, + GST= Total cost $631.50 Which seems cheep if the oxygen sensors are that expensive.
Address,17 Nile st,
Wooloongabba
Ph 33931588

Thanks Mel, much appreciated. I assumed they diagnosed a fault with that oxygen sensor first? I was thinking maybe an injector clean might be in order or something. What mileage were you guys getting before the service?

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
MUTII is mitsi diagnostic tester. they plug a laptop in and can clear codes etc.

my fuel light has just come on and flased back out. i have done 492k's

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Just did a trip down to Phillip Island for new years tanks nearly empty and only 330kms for the trip, however that was a full car load of gear, five blokes, aircon going the entire time, 1 hour of traffic jam going there, 3 hours of traffic jam back, of just start stop traffic

G

Unregistered
i drove from perth to geraldton yesterday, and got ~450km to 3/4 of a tank.... guess it just loves a big open stretch of road...

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ive just compiled all my data and it turns out Im getting 13L/100kms.

How big is the tank again? 50L? The most ive got in is 48litres, and the most I've got out is 425kms on the open road (4 people, plus aircon and luggage). The best around the city out of a tank is 380kms.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
My dad currently has my wagon.

He has taken close note on how it uses fuel, and seems to think that it uses stupids amount when below operating temp. It makes sense, maybe it is worth warming the car up completely before you drive it each time?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
mine gets up to operating temp within close to 30 seconds, my previous cars were closer 2-3 minutes!

G

Unregistered
that would just be the engine temp, not the oil temp. the oil temp takes somewhat longer to warm up.

my turbo pulsar gets started and left to idle for a couple of mins before being driven (from a cold start) and then driven off boost until my oil temp has reached minimum temp. helps the longivity of the turbo too.

Top Bottom