Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Recently I've been getting near 450l per tank. When I refill it's filling up about 45 litres.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yes manual.

I normally fill up at about the 3/4 mark and it's usually around 330-380km. Depending on how I've been driving.

Oooh I realised I said 450l not 450km hahaha That's one mother of a tank!

G

Unregistered
i'm averaging about 13L/100km, and after last nights efforts at the drags it only pushed it out to 13.5L/100km

G

Unregistered
i'm averaging about 13L/100km, and after last nights efforts at the drags it only pushed it out to 13.5L/100km

So in short you drive it like you stole it all the time?

After an ECU reset (hopefully performed correctly) and on the 2nd tank of gas, with all open road driving, achieved 380 km with gauge 2 little notches above the 'E'. (1st tank reached 230 km, using 26 litres on all open road driving, well, minus 14 k in suburb and shit traffic on the Monash)

Now to run it down to the fuel light and see how much it actually takes...

G

Unregistered
Final figures were 45 litres for 400 km. Works out to about 11.25 litres/100 km.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Now I know my car really sucks. That damn o2 sensor is to blame, if only they wernt so bloody expensive.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I've still never managed any worse than 13ltr/100km.
Generally I'm between 11 and 12.
Even when running 95ron fuel I always get at about 400kms per tank.

I've just sourced and installed a facelift ECU, so it'll be very interesting to see what effect this has on fuel consumption.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I'm getting on average 340km outta a tank (filling 48L approx each time) and the needle says its empty each time, that is about mid 13l/100kms had it down to low 11's proberly high 10l/100km that was on open road towing jetski

G

Unregistered
Ok i finally ran some injector cleaner though my car, refilled then went through a tank of Caltex Vortex 98. My orange light came on and I refilled 46litres ... wanna know how many km's I did ? Well all this was done driving like a granny as I was testing for distance ...
I got 279kms from 46litres ... I think V8's use less petrol ... there is something seriously wrong here !!!
Going to get the ECU checked v.soon to see if we can retune the thing ... Just saving up the funds ...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Paul, maybe check your oxygen sensor? Also consider chucking it on a Dyno and seeing what the AFR's are at idle and under load. That is terrible fuel economy!

Ohh, at the moment, the ST-R is down to the 3/4 mark and has done about 260km's. When I'm back in NZ I'm going to take it on a long trip, I'm hoping for less than 8l/100km out of it - I'm only using 91 octane as well.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Wow before all that I thought I was getting bad economy!

I wonder what they'd be like with a haltech and a decent tune...

G

Unregistered
Paul, maybe check your oxygen sensor? Also consider chucking it on a Dyno and seeing what the AFR's are at idle and under load.

ahhhh ... yes I'll get the O2 sensor checked for sure ...
Seems strange as the car is running sweet as ...

G

Unregistered
Well as of today my best fuel consumption figure is 12.4l/100km and that aint real satisfactory considering 160km out of 217km was freeway. Although the disclaimer is - full load, 3 adults, 2 kids and a pile of crap in the back, suitcases and all.

So what are the first things to check?
Injectors?
How can an oxygen sensor be checked as such? Mitsubishi dealer, any workshop?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Where's the fuel filter on these? It's probably a good idea for us to renew that too

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just did 430kms with my last full tank.. that's with "spirited driving" and mixed city/highway as well..

also regarding fuel filter.. how often are we supposed to changed it? with my previous car i didnt change and the mileage on it was around 135k when i initially got it..

G

Unregistered
So is there anyway you can check the O2 sensor without replacing it ?
according to LeeButts price list its kinda expensive ...
Engine Control Oxygen Sensor . . . . MD189008 . . . . $419.10

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you could get a wideband sensor, which isn't much more expensive than a new oxygen sensor, and monitor it with a laptop, and see how it goes. Should be 14.7 in normal driving, 12-13 under normal acceleration, and down to about 10.5 when you're really trashing it.

Top Bottom