Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Ive just compiled all my data and it turns out Im getting 13L/100kms.

How big is the tank again? 50L? The most ive got in is 48litres, and the most I've got out is 425kms on the open road (4 people, plus aircon and luggage). The best around the city out of a tank is 380kms.

I'm getting abut the exactly same figures dude, and same amount of fuel going in

G

Unregistered
for a twin turbo jap import its not all that bad of a fuel figure. my turbo pulsar (gtir/sss) averages around 350-400km from a full 50L tank.

apart from the snatch hatches out there like the festiva/barina etc most cars on australian roads would avg around the 10-12L per 100kms

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
apart from the snatch hatches out there

LMAO!!!! now that is a funny term

I did 108 kms today before the needle dropped to the top of the fuel gauge! That was country kms, the air con was on and there were a few corners that were taken with haste.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
511km and i put 50L in. i have pumped 56 point something L into it before.
around town i get around 400km

G

Unregistered
its a 60L tank, but the fuel light comes on at 9L left, so 51L before the light.

dion - mine often does about 90-95km before the needle drops, then its a very quick drop down to the E, lol

simon - i seem to be getting very similar fuel economy to you as well... usually get bang on 380 around town, and it was 450km to the fuel light, not 3/4 for my country run.

i was surprised how quick the coolant temp on the legnum rises too.. i was working midnight till 8am last week, and the car would have dew on it and be freezing cold, and by the time i pull out of the street, the needle is up to half!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
*update* my car did 491kms.. also the fuel light was still going on and off.. I didn't wanna risk it so pulled up at a servo..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
even driving them normally will warm them up pretty quickly. I don't go above 3000rpm and accelerate slower than a normal car up my road and then onto the next road, and the temp gauge is up to halfway after about 1.2km of driving.

G

Unregistered
Took the Leggy into Mitsi today to check out the ECU, they said the O2sensor is not registering correctly and they have disconnected it for now. Just going to try without it for 2 weeks and see how it goes, then if it needs to be replaced I'll source one. The O2 sensor is the same sensor that is in the Aussie version Galants so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
So my 300km per 46litres should be fixed ...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Paul I don't know exactly how the ECU will react to that, but unless its extremely clever I'd expect it to run in a 'protected mode' which would equate to a rich mixture to protect the engine. I don't think it would cause damage as the ECU has to be designed with the possibility of O2 sensor failure, but its there for a reason, and quite a good one...

G

Unregistered
Usually cars have two o2 sensors, one on the dump and one at the cat.
It was Mitsi's idea to run the next tank of fuel without it ... The car will be ok without it for one tank ...
Might see if GLY can check out NZ for one if he doesn't mind ??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I wonder if its compatible with the magna sensor? They're only $117 from Veales... Maybe worth checking one out?

G

Unregistered
id imagine the engine is already in safe mode, thus only getting 300km to a tank.. seeing as a rooted sensor is basically as good as no sensor.

let me know how it goes paul
ps. did you fit the boost controller?

G

Unregistered
Mitchy ... nah I wanted to make sure the car is running how I want it, before I wind up the boost ... hence i doubt I'll be hitting the drags with the magna boyz ...

G

Unregistered
Alright, the worst fuel consumption I've had to date is 14.5l/100km - all urban driving. Is that within the realm of "performance costs", or is that excessive for a tiptronic Legnum VR-4?

Maybe we should each specify whether we're auto or manual when we post figures. Also the Legnums carry a weight penalty over the Galants dont' they?

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
that sounds pretty good for urban driving ...actually for a TT V6 it sounds excellent to me.... and Takumi, i think the O2 sensor is stuffed in mine, i have ever since i bought it...let me know how you go, so i can add it to my warranty list when it goes in for a service...

G

Unregistered
Yeah that's driving with spasmodic obnoxiousness. Changing lanes in front instead of behind and passing buses on the way up the on-ramp to the freeway. Chugging along at the speed limit for the rest of the time. The way God intended it to be driven everyday. I wanted to see what the consumption would be like when driven without regard for the bowser.

The thing that's probably hurting is that the VR-4 is doing the job of 2 cars at the moment. I sold the family car. The Vr-4 is supposed to replace my runabout vehicle rather than the main car. It's doing too many short trips to the shops and to the outlaws place. It is spending more time warming up and cooling down than actual driving.

I'm actually relieved that 14.5 was as bad as it got. The thing that ticks me off is that absolute Nanny driving (within the limits of my self-discipline) only netted 13.5l/100km. Not much of a reward for showing such noble restraint.

Top Bottom