Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Gen3 MR2 Turbo, FD3S S8 Type R Bathurst RX7, Lexus IS250, FL Legnum VR4
New PB. 11.6L/100KM around town driving in Sydney. Made an RX8 look bad in that one too.

Pretty happy considering it's all mechanically stock with just a HKS intake (no Merlin flash) yet).

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Adelaide city driving. I used to get about 360 - 380kms but after a TME tune I get about 420kms until the light comes on. Today I managed 440kms before the light came on. Absolutely full is usually filling up around 55L.

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
When does everyone's fuel light come on?

I get down to the bottom line and then refil but had never seen my light come on- worried it didnt work.
Anyway today i figured id test it and sure enough it flickered on and off abit so i filled up shortly after.

Got 379km to the tank- which took about 50-51 litres to fill.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
^ mine comes on first at quarter off tank then flickers off. comes back on and stays on just before the e line.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum

I get down to the bottom line and then refil but had never seen my light come on- worried it didnt work.
Anyway today i figured id test it and sure enough it flickered on and off abit so i filled up shortly after.

Thats pretty crappy economy. barely 7.5km/L or 13.4L/100. Clearly i don't know what type of driving that was but I'd shit if mine got that.
I gather lots of stop/start and heavy accel?

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
lol^^ I get like 200ks to 40L, all very short trips 10-15mins, stop start and I drive like a dick..

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I tend to get 14-15 L/100km, Adelaide is a shit place to try and drive for economy - road works everywhere, and where there isn't road works your speed fluctuates like a sin wave between the speed limit and 20-30kph under it for no apparent reason. The engineers too stupid to work for the holden plant end up working on the ACTS (Adelaide Coordinated Trafic Signal) system to make sure that you can't get two green lights in a row; then theres the council workers that drop a three lane major arterial road to one lane in peak hour to mow the grass on the median strip. That should start to form an accurate picture of what it is like to drive here :p

(no offence to Holden engineers, I'm sure you do your best :p)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
he he that explains it then. Mine gets about 10.5km/L or 9.5L/100km

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Thats pretty crappy economy. barely 7.5km/L or 13.4L/100. Clearly i don't know what type of driving that was but I'd shit if mine got that.
I gather lots of stop/start and heavy accel?

TBH i try not to use the loud foot all that often, i mean obviously a squirt here and there but i dont drive like a dick everywhere.

Small runs to Uni- works a good 20-30min but traffic is generally bullshit and peak hour coming home.
Adelaide's traffic is shit and we dont have any free flowing road ways- well nothing CBD based that i drive.

Drives me up the wall some weeks, hence i want to get her tuned, see what difference it makes.

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Oh and my light flickering today was on the line...hence i have been worried it never worked.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum

Thats about right, when there is about 10ltrs left. So it's all working as it should!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
TBH i try not to use the loud foot all that often, i mean obviously a squirt here and there but i dont drive like a dick everywhere.

Small runs to Uni- works a good 20-30min but traffic is generally bullshit and peak hour coming home.
Adelaide's traffic is shit and we dont have any free flowing road ways- well nothing CBD based that i drive.

Drives me up the wall some weeks, hence i want to get her tuned, see what difference it makes.
Understood. Your car gets what my '93 Mitsubishi Trtion(Astron 2.6 carby) does. Shits me. That's actually worse than what my 3litre GTR used to get:LOL:

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
You mean to say if I buy a GTR ill get better fuel economy-- well then. Haha

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
You mean to say if I buy a GTR ill get better fuel economy-- well then. Haha
On the same drive to work as the Leggy, the GTR would get about 8.5-9km/L as a 3 liter.before the 3 liter conversion, as a 2.6L it would get 10-10.5km/L

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant

Mine is exactly the same. 360-370 kms for about 50L. I don't drive like a grandma, but I'm not thrashing it either. I have to drive through peak hour traffic everyday, morning and afternoon.

Fuel economy didn't improve with a tune unfortunately. I guess economy is better, but the tune increased boost, so they cancel each other out.

I've been doing an experiment. 2 full tanks driving half in auto mode and half with tiptronic. Repeat only in auto mode for 2 tanks, and again with only tiptronic. Disappointingly, driving only in auto mode has no affect. I always thought me downshifting and playing around with tiptronic caused me back economy. Still yet to test a full tank in tiptronic mode only.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I find the more cold starts I have increases the kms I travel quite a lot. If I used a whole tank in a single drive I would get about 600km to a tank but If I use a whole tank over 6 different trips I will get less than 500kms. These cars drink the petrol badly when they are cold.
The way I drive has much less of an impact on my fuel economy I have found, although If I drive like a real grandma I can get at least an extra 50kms out of a tank.

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
I'm getting about 360kms. Quick question, Anybody using the 10% ethanol 100 octane from united stations. I want to try it but i'm not sure.

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
People are using the 100 octane mainly when they get a tune for more power.

Top Bottom