Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Just did the 1400km drive from Brisbane to Townsville in my Legnum today. Car ran beautifully, very relaxing on the highway and didn't miss a beat. Fuel consumption at the start of the day with AC off was 9.1L/100km, but ended up averaging just over 10L/100km. Three people + the rest of the car packed with luggage, tools and other gear.....and AC on for all bar the first 3 of 16.5 hrs.

Fairly happy with that. Getting 98 RON fuel though....that was a problem. Good thing I brought a few bottles of octane booster.

G

Unregistered
im only getting about 250-300km / tank when i drive like a granny, worst case i have some how managed to go through a tank in 86km, could be a combination of air pod sucking in hot air, still original plugs (needs to be replaced 115000kms on the clock) dirty fuel?, still original o2 sensor, and worst problem i have is my foot, (just love the that spooling wistle sound)

i did have real dodgy dump pipes (T intersection 2.5" into 3" for rear turbo) just got that fixed and had rear split to twin tips (one each side) sounds alot better have noticed an increase of power since getting dump pipe fixed to flow better, (will try and get photos) also noticed increase of fuel economy

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Great result Murph!
I seem to have found after fitting the RPW's front pipes that i'm using more throttle everywhere, execpt flat ground constant speed.
She goes in for a tune tomorrow at PITS so will be interesting to see.

Since the deasel episode, she now coughs on cold start every-time, but fine when hot.

G

Unregistered
Well done the plugs and its just as shit house as it was before. So gotta order new o2 sensor me thinks . . .

G

Unregistered
Well I don't know how but I got 452km out of 49L thats with mixed driving and giving it a bit, well a lot every now and again as we do.
Only difference is I put 1/2 a bottle of octane boost in this tank. EDIT: Shell V-Power always used, I used to use BP

So its about 10.8L/per 100KM

Thats my second best every following a full tank of HWY driving.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
ok.. i've been trialling out 2 different brands of fuel..

they are Caltex Vortex 98 and Shell V-Power

ever since I've replaced my oem o2 sensor to the NGK Magna one.. I could only get the most mileage between the 2..

Caltex Vortex 98 = 360km's which is approximately 13.61 liters per 100kms

and with the

Shell V-Power = 420km's which is approximately 11.67 literse per 100kms

keep in mind i've been filling up with 49.3xxx liters all the time..

so it's kind of strange how i get crap economy out of the caltex after replacing my o2 sensor where as before i get the most km's out of it..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Well after a trip to Tin Can Bay and back stuck in boxing day traffic for an hour and aircon running constantly we got 10.8km/L or 9.2L/100km or 30.3mpg.

Pretty happy with that! Plus it's much nicer to drive after the Haltech has been tuned.

Off on a trip to Sydney and back on Sunday towing a box trailer. Empty down ~450kg on way back, be intereted to see what it returns

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Added a tin of LIQUI MOLY SPEED TEC filled to first click with BP Ultimate
Reset Odo
Refilled to first click at 370.6k and it took 47.09lt
Mostly pretty gental town driving, no A/C
Didn't notice any power gain with the additive but this is my best distance return, however it does add $28 to the price of a fill up, so not really worth it IMO

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Trip to Sydney and back complete

Some interesting fuel results towing an empty trailer;
1st fill on GC 330km 35 litres, 9.5km/l or 10.5L/100 Vpower
2nd just north of Taree, 520km 53.8litres, 9.7km/L or 10.3L/100 Vortex
3rd in Sydney after some minor running around 460km 44.0 litres 10.5km/L 9.5L/100 BP
4th Kempsey trailer now carry Legnum engine and a box of crap 487km 48.0 litres 10.1lm/L 10L/100 Vortex
5th Coomera 465km 49 litres 9.5km/L 10.5L/100 BP

Thing to note i guess is the greater, but same, consumption to approx Kempsey/Port Macquarie area, from and to GC

Car went like a steam train- had a number of surpised looks which i bet were, what the fcuk was that and what is that thing towing a trailer up this long steep hill that i can't catch

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
And like me, although I doubt I'd get that good with a trailer. I regularly get 10l/100km though

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
How???

Just from having the car properly tuned? Or do you do nothing but freeway driving?

I have got into the 10s only twice - 10.7 and 10.4. And those tanks were pretty much 90% freeway.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I do mostly highway driving, but it is never slow!

When I had my completely stock 260hp COTY VR-4 I normally got 11l/100km and that was with quite a bit of city driving and being stuck in traffic jams, plus motorway driving. What I can't figure out is how all you guys get such bad economy :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
What I can't figure out is how all you guys get such bad economy :)

It's a little-known fact that New Zealand litres are slightly bigger than Australian litres (and the rest of the world's).

Well, it was worth a try. After all, British gallons are bigger than US gallons!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Hey guys, How do you work out the figures? I know it is in this thread somewhere but seriously, I am not trolling through 63 pages

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Start with a full tank.
Reset trip counter.

When refilling:
result = (litres used / distance travelled) x 100

Someone should post a "How To:" thread for this lol

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
so my 47lt / 370k X 100 = 12.7l per 100k's, yeah?

If thats right I am pretty happy with that.
Just worked out Wifes MX5 and she is getting 9.1 :-(

Also worked out that with the $28 for the additive and around $1.15 per litre the average is $22.17 per 100 or $1.74 per litre, lol sounds bad when put that way.
Maybe I shouldn't let Wife see this as I just worked the MX5 out. At $1.10 for 95 and 9.1lt/100k is $10.01 per 100k, or as she will see it, half the VR4 to run, plus 6 vs 4 rego, more expensive tyres and servicing................. I will stop there, lol

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Yeah I've always reckoned the MX5's would be nice dailys or weekend warriors. They're light, rear wheel, decent power to weight and look like they'd be heaps fun to chuck through corners, a real drivers car.
On the subject of fuel economy I am getting around 12L/100km on 10psi, and with the boost gauge I can stretch it out more by staying off boost. But when I hammer it I can almost watch the needle drop, kind of depressing actually. Need a piggyback to tune her up a bit methinks.

Top Bottom