Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

smileymertz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Kylie
Drive
White S1/S2 front bar 97 Legnum VR4
OK. I did first big trip from purchase to home....Sunshine Coast QLD to Central Coast NSW and got about 10.5 litres per hundred....BUT...we were running two cars, and got different kilometre readings. My GPS says Im going about five percent slower than the speedo....so I actually got less km's out of the tank than the reading? Not too much to worry about...very happy either way!

ps. s1 Legnum VR4 very very standard

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd prefer an S2000 over an MX-5, same basic concept and idea overall, but the S2000 to me is better looking and has a better engine.

Paul - what sized tyres do you have on your car? They could be causing that problem.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
That is stock. A common size that people go for is 235/45/17 which is a bit bigger. I've got that size on my car and the speedo is perfectly accurate with those tyres

smileymertz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Kylie
Drive
White S1/S2 front bar 97 Legnum VR4
Hmmmm, maybe the other car has the wrong size tyres/wheels OR my GPS is not accurate. I will investigate for sure......

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Guys, i think its partly the O2 sensor and partly the tune and better bits on the car. I know where the AFR's are at certain loads and can drive accordlingly- that said - i didn't care about that onthe trip, I just drove it and sat on the speed limit.

I'll be interested to see what it does now without the trailer. I also have the tyres at 34psi, you'd be surprised how much that helps!

Also, my speedo reads 3km/h slower than actual 100km/h I got that from the dyno. And you'd also be surprised to know that the tacho is out by 200-400rpm in places. Yes again actuals off the dyno.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
My Tacho is optimistic too, as I said above with 235/45/17 tyres my car is scarily accurate on the speedo, but at 110kmh the tacho reads about 100rpm too high.

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
Buy CRC Fuel cleaner once a month, it cleanses the fuel tank of carbon and crap etc and get more kms to a tank with that.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
last week i got 500km to about 50l so i was happy,at least 300 of that was highway,but not once was driving for fuel economy,was happy with that.except using my gps i found the legnums speedo is about 5 kms off,must be something to do with my wheels too big or something(225/40/18)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Nearly all cars are normally 5 km/hr under if you use a GPS as speedo, its what car company's do to help keep drivers under the speed limit and to help with them being out slightly, if it registers under then you wont get booked.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
550km 46.9 litres = 11.7km/L or 8.5L/100.
Pretty impressive figures-best to date, most of the driving done by the wife, mix of city and highway.
I've found that at 60 and 80 the car is using a lot less throttle with my current tune than before, however is does need more at some load points but it does also does better just before the swap over between vacuum and boost.

This is the first tank post trip to Sydney.

I've found that the aircon uses around 1-1.5km/L extra per tank

G

Unregistered
Man I can wait to do some tuning.
I know that people say the petrol is absolute crap here in Kyrgyzstan but I get 19l /100 up here.
I cant wait to get a apexi afc soon and tune it up.
Will get a greddy e-manage ultimate in the next few months and really tune the crap out of it.
I will be wraped if I can get under 15l/100 and an extra 30 or so ponies with the tune.
On the bright side I pay 75c AUS per ltr of fuel but this will be a treat when the tune is right.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
My fuel consumption has gone through the roof after my intercooler fit. I'm gonna reset the ECU, clean the air filter and the air flow sensor and then pour in some additive and see what happens after that.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Peter, thats a bit odd as mine has been a bit better if anything since fitting the x3e cooler. Sure you have no leaks?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
As Murph said- i'd expect it to be better. Have you changed the O2 sensor, mine was crap and providing really bad AFR's, changed it and now it's great.

Only anomaly is the cold start since the tank of diesel, it doesn't start cleanly. Sounds like only a few spark plugs are working for some reason. I put an injector cleaner through it straight after the diesel drama but it still does it.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey guys,

the site that Gilly and I have been working on for tracking consumption is ready for you guys to try out.

Check it out at www.petrolmonkey.com.

You should be able to import your old data if you've been keeping it in a spreadsheet, just save it as CSV, go to the import screen and choose which columns are what (1=distance, 2=litres etc).

There's a big todo list, some of the ideas are:
* Being able to track modifications/add notes to see if it affects consumption
* Google maps integration to track which service stations you use
* More detailed information gathering like fuel company, fuel type.
* Messaging/discussion between users.

You can search for other users by car type and add them as friends so you can view their car details and consumption stats.

All feedback welcome! (even bad, I'll try not to take it personally :D )

Once the dedicated fuel trackers who follow this thread give it the ok, I'll start publicising it elsewhere.

cheers

Lee

Top Bottom