Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
My fuel economy has now jumped up to an average of 17.8ltr/100kms over the past month! That's a massive increase over my previous long-term average of 11.

There would have to be an explanation for such a drastic increase, what has changed?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
There would have to be an explanation for such a drastic increase, what has changed?

Yeah, definate change in driving.
My old drive to work was brilliant! 20kms of highway, lovely scenary, some great sweeping bends - and ZERO stop signs or lights.

Now it's 2-3minutes of the most mind-numbing, pedestrian dodging, suck-drive imaginable. It really has made me question owning such a enjoyable car to drive. (I should start walking instead).

The upside is however, I now only go through a tank of fuel every 3 weeks - instead of every 4 days!!

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
The ARC airbox will be messing with your AFR's if it doesn't have a decent cold air feed.
I started with my O2 sensor as a means to get the car a little more fuel efficient, it didn't have any major effect on my car but the fact that it only cost $25 and a half hour or so for me to fit it, it was worth it. A lot of members have had positive results from the change though...
Is it an Auto?

Oh k so i bought the car with the ARC airbox on it and i dont have the stock one, would it be an idea to get a stock one, and yes the car is an auto, and i dunno anything about cars and so i dunno how i would go with changing the o2 sensor by myself... :( if i cant get any better fuel economy i will have to sell the car, cos i cant afford this crappy economy

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
The ARC is good, it just needs to be segregated from the rest of the engine bay and fed cold air.
There is a thread on here with suggestions on improving fuel economy, try and search for that and you might get some ideas:)
As for the O2 sensor thing, its really not that bad. The hardest thing is trying to get under the damn car

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
well it is segregated from what i can see and cos i have the evo bonnet on the car it has avent feeding air straight into the ARC, maybe i will have to look at a few things then

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jamie replacement of the O2 sensor is a 10 minute job, it really is about as straight-forward as it gets. There's an easy-to-follow how-to in the guides sub-forum.

You also REALLY need to replace your plugs and leads - a number of other members have drastically improved their fuel economy replacing theirs. Because the rear bank is a bit of a PITA you may find the ones in your car have been skipped more than a few times and may be quite worn out - we've seen it before. There's details elsewhere as to what plugs and leads to use, but basically get platinum or iridium plugs rated for 100,000kms, and I recommend getting your leads from ICE Ignition.

And yes, there's also a lot to be said for a complete service as old oil will noticeably reduce your economy figures (not to mention the engine wear it's causing).

Finally, to address an earlier comment, yes the fuel tank is 60L, not 50, but when your needle is pointing at the Empty mark you've probably only used about 50L (with 10 in reserve).

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
Thanks Trevor, i might have to look at getting some new leads next pay and maybe a full service and replace all the oils in the car, and maybe give the 02 sensor thing a shot or get them to do it when i take it in for a service lol

G

Unregistered
I've just run the third tank of fuel (Vortex 98) through my automatic Legnum. As a test I drove like an absolute grandpa on this tank, hardly touching the throttle. Everyone was passing me. City driving mostly, with some highway stretches.

Had the air con on only a little bit on a day or two, but set the climate control really high so it was only rarely coming on. Also had it on Eco mode. Switched it fully off once the car had initially cooled down.

The result was 14.5L/100km, which doesn't sound very promising.

Could there be something acting up? The car is coming up to 50,000 kms and I'll be doing a service soon once I finish gathering all the stuff.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Plugs and leads to as per SiliconAngels last post,

I get 11.8litre/100k round town and 9.4litres/100k on freeway since I did my O2 sensor, so yours is a little thirsty IMO

G

Unregistered
I guess it does smell a little rich, and the exhaust tip is black again after only just cleaning it. But I don't think I could possibly drive any more sedate!

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
My figures aren't with any sedate driving, I don't fang the crap out of it but I certainly don't nurse it either...... driving sedately probably isn't going to help if the sensor or plugs etc etc aren't working correctly.....

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol i dont even bother calculating anymore - its depressing :D i get less than 300km to ~50L nowadays. definately foot related :p i rarely 'dont' boost :)

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
i put in 98 and get 35 litres an only get 250km....this is very bad ? Lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I've been doing experimental tests on my fuel economy with the boost controller and intercooler..

Last 3 tanks:
420km - Casual driving with a few hits, mostly city
320km - Lots of fanging hehe
408km - Lots of fanging, plus highway, plus old pac run lol

Since having the boost controller on, as expected, fuel economy went down.. But by an average of 10-30km each tank from before! I think anyway..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I got 68km out of the first quater of a tank (approx 15L)..... Ok, it was on the track lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
If I want to change my plugs and leads, and O2 sensor..

What ones do you guys recommend for reasonable price? And where can I grab them from? I have no idea what to look for in an O2 sensor especially.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
If I want to change my plugs and leads, and O2 sensor..

What ones do you guys recommend for reasonable price? And where can I grab them from? I have no idea what to look for in an O2 sensor especially.

NGK on is good, not sure about the generic Bosch one - just my personal experience. Let me know how you went with the spark plugs~

Top Bottom