Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
If I want to change my plugs and leads, and O2 sensor..

What ones do you guys recommend for reasonable price? And where can I grab them from? I have no idea what to look for in an O2 sensor especially.

NGK on is good, not sure about the generic Bosch one - just my personal experience. Let me know how you went with the spark plugs~
I just bought one from Repco, so will put it in at this service then and see if it makes any difference.

hey mate. Well, i was doing the same figures and after changing the O2 sensor (twice) i am getting a slighty better figure. However, ful tank of my car does about 320~330km normal driving and if i take my car to work which is pure heavy traffic for 1 hour each way, i do about 250km for a full tank.

I installed a boost controller and testing it out on all weekend long, got only about 200km on it.

I guess there are lists of things we can do to improve, perhaps to maintain, our fuel consumption

1. O2 Sensors,
2. Plugs
3. Leads
4. Remove compliance cat and install a proper one
5. did i miss anything?

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
I cant believe some of your guys fuel consumption figures - they're actually quite scary!!!

Heavy footed or being a nanna I usually just around 400-420km, and when I fill the tank it averages around 44-47 litres til the pump stops.

Highway driving I get around 450km a tank.

G

Unregistered
i put in 98 and get 35 litres an only get 250km....this is very bad ? Lol

That's 14L/100km, not brilliant as people have recorded a lot better.

I cant believe some of your guys fuel consumption figures - they're actually quite scary!!!

Heavy footed or being a nanna I usually just around 400-420km, and when I fill the tank it averages around 44-47 litres til the pump stops.

Highway driving I get around 450km a tank.

Mine's the same, I usually get the same to a tank (~12.2L/100km). I'm surprised at how people can only get 2-300km to a full tank.

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
I get 300 - 350 out of mine. I dont know what it's like for Granny driving. I cant granny drive for a whole tank, thats a long time to drive slow :p

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
^^^ thats how I first felt with being a Nanna, but after I realised that nanna'ing it makes no difference to being a little heavy footed.... I attached an anchor to my foot!

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
My fuel consumption has settled into 12-13l/100km. Still as yet to change the o2 sensor.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
if you're getting figures like 12L/100km dont even bother changing the o2 sensor thats great figures hahaha i wish i had anywhere near it.. literally go through so much fuel.. i do drive pretty hard i will admit, but even when i drive casual wit hthe odd squirt here and there, i still only get around 300km :p i've done the o2 sensor, plugs and leads, intercooler, cat back, safc tuned, 12psi, i still need to replace the compliance cat though... perhaps thats it? along with my foot obviously..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You have a 2000 model, correct? Get under your car and check out your exhaust - I think you'll find you have three cats under there mate - its a requirement for compliance of post 2000 model vehicles (I can't remember what month in 2000 though). Paul (Takumi) had the three cats on his and he was getting horrendous economy figures until he changed his exhaust.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I put a can of Subaru upper engine cleaner through mine and it seems to have given me an extra 50k/tank.

I was surpised. I might have already posted this in here :|

Looking forward to putting in new EGO / plugs to see if they help even more.

I get ~400/tank if I am kind of carefull and 300 if I am not at all careful.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
The standard exhaust on the Face Lifts have 2 small pre-cats immediately after the turbo dumps.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I put a can of Subaru upper engine cleaner through mine and it seems to have given me an extra 50k/tank.

I was surprised. I might have already posted this in here :|

Looking forward to putting in new EGO / plugs to see if they help even more.

I get ~400/tank if I am kind of careful and 300 if I am not at all careful.

My Face Lift auto has just hit the 400km mark on this current tank of petrol. The Low Fuel light came on for a bit then went out this morning whilst on my way to the bus stop. I'm going to try to get through to tomorrow (Tuesday) arvo before I put any more fuel in it, approx another 45km of driving. Fingers crossed. I'm guessing when I fill it I'll be putting in around 56 liters. Cutting it fine.

G

Unregistered
Jacked it up and had a peek, could only see one main cat half way along the exhaust. The only other things I could see of interest were the expansion joints. I have the factory standard exhaust on my car, it's a late 2000 model.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I'm finding I'm getting about 9km/Litre out of the last two tanks.

Specifically: 449.6/49.14 = 9.15 and 434.5/48.51 = 8.96

The second one was including the cruise we recently had. Plus I haven't changed the plugs, leads or O2 sensor since I got the car (which is on the list!). So I'm alright with that for now, would prefer it to be over 10 though.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I removed the two extra cats on the exhaust my car came with and it's pretty noticeable how much more responsive the engine is, and I have definitely got a little better fuel economy since. There would have to have been restriction problems with 3 of the stupid things there.
Dad's driving the car at the moment and getting around 11L/100km, he's a pretty smooth, cautious driver though.

G

Unregistered
Getting slightly off topic.. Just been having a look at the EvoScan software, anyone know if that will help with diagnosing fuel economy problems and what to look for? Can I test my oxygen sensor with it to see if it's functioning correctly?

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
you can usually tell by looking at the actual sensor if its ****ed or not.
take a pic of it and show me.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
I'm finding I'm getting about 9km/Litre out of the last two tanks.

Specifically: 449.6/49.14 = 9.15 and 434.5/48.51 = 8.96

Lol? Nice calculation mate... but isn't the official consumption figure l/100km?

(48.51l/434.5km)*100 = 11,16l/100km !!!
(49.14l/449.6km)*100 = 10,93l/100km !!!

km/l is a bit confusing... people with 20l/100km got then 5km/l... looks awesome for the first seconds =)

For all: I'm using since around 2 months this page: www.spritmonitor.de
Just add everytime you fill your tank up litre, km and costs to it and get my signature for example. Don't worry, it's a German page, but you can switch the language to English! I'm the first VR-4 there, but heaps of 2.5l V6 Galant without twinturbo with roughly the same figures!

Also realised, if I go with BP Ultimate I get a better consumption as with Vortex 98!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
MPG still gets used all over the world officially (since when is one calculation more "official" than the other, besides in sales...where you'd really trust them to have your best interests at heart?), so the metric equivalent is still sound. It's been discussed on here already and it doesn't matter either way. It works out the same.

I don't find km/l confusing at all.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
For all: I'm using since around 2 months this page: www.spritmonitor.de
Just add everytime you fill your tank up litre, km and costs to it and get my signature for example. Don't worry, it's a German page, but you can switch the language to English! I'm the first VR-4 there, but heaps of 2.5l V6 Galant without twinturbo with roughly the same figures!

Also realised, if I go with BP Ultimate I get a better consumption as with Vortex 98!

You should come and use our site: www.petrolmonkey.com.

There's 4 or 5 VR-4s on there at the moment.

We don't have a fancy signature image (yet), but you can import your data from sprintmonitor (if they let you export it).

cheers

Lee

Top Bottom