Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
ahh thats the one

sonic performance only list the gt2560r

Garrett Number: GT2560R Part Number: 466541-5001
Comp Housing: .60 AR Turbine Housing: .64Internally Wastegated, 250-300HP, T25 Flange, Commonly known as GT28R, Bolt on Replacement for 180SX with C18 engine, Some minor modifications may be required.

they must be similar

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I will definitely be doing a turbo upgrade, however I'm still in the process doing all the preliminary upgrades and the delays seem to have been endless.... I'm booked in for the dump pipe, fuel pump and new plugs tomorrow and new intercooler, stainless pipes, trans cooler, air intake and bov on tuesday.

After that comes new turbos I guess.... what type though is the million dollar question!!

Garrets sound great in that they are modern and top quality, its just the cost that is gonna kill me:

Initial outlay for the turbos ($2k from the USA or $3k from oz)
Manifolds (min $1k?)
Various pipes and lines (another $600?)
Labour ($1k?) plus tuning?
Total min outlay $5-6k??

I could get 7 x 6a13tt engines for this!

The TDO4 route seems cheaper because you can get a pair for $500 easy, also no need for custom manifolds, so that saves $2.5k straight off!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
The TD03-7T on the 8G galant has a 3 Bolt pattern that bolts to the Manifold. Most TD04's are 3 Bolt including The GTO, WRX,Delica ECT.
How ever i Think the TD04-13G on the 6G Auto galant is 4 Bolt.
Not sure about The RVR. I was under the impression it has a TD04-15G

I noticed that some of the Garrett GT series come with the option of the T28 flange, anyone know if this would this make it more adaptable to the standard manifold?

Theres always plenty available online from the states:

ebay 1 300hp GT2560r US$775

Ebay 2 460hp gt2871r US$1329

Even here at amazon the GT2554r for $900 a pop

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
holy crap,theyre just dreams for me then.
i probly wouldnt do it before a manual conversion either.
maybe i should offer hipsi any garret turbo of his choice for that manual gear of his.
but like i said,if we can use tdo4s off a rex with minimal modifying,why cant we use an upgraded turbo(designed for rexs) with minimul modifying.or is room seriously just that tight?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
noone has done WRX turbos, then looked to upgrade models after that. It's something none of us know!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Definitely something to research^

I was thinking though, if you're gonna change the turbos, why aim for only 500hp? Go the GT2560R as it will give 600hp!

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
does anyone know what rb26 turbos are,mate of mine is dropping one into his gts-t and also upgrading to some bigger turbos
so chances are he'll just give me the stock turbos

G

Unregistered
james you wont get any bigger rex turbo in there, td04 is only option or you can go td05 but then more custom stuff comes in to it and cost goes up..
larger wrx turbos come from the STI's and they are IHI VF series turbos..
the wrx td04's are the same as our turbo's but smaller, they will blot straight up you just need to reposition the waste gate acuator..

G

Unregistered
have done some ringing around on info on these little baby's and they all call them a TDO3 turbo's the wrx 97 98 one's are TDO4's and they are a fair bit bigger. thats what they told me.

(refer to post #40 on page 3) I am not sure but these turbo's appear in a few john deere tractors soooo if my logic is right a 5l-6l diesel would have a lot more volume out put then the ones that are on a galant / legnum so if the intake and out put pipes can be modified I could get a few semi cheap ($150+) but they would need reconditioning but I can get that done by a guy in NSW that is very good and has the best prices (compared to the ripe off merchants in SA). Give me a few week to sort out if the turbo's will be usable and suitable for the aplication.

G

Unregistered
**Forgive the noob question**

Are the WRX TD04s a ball bearing item? The only reason I ask is because one of the guys at work was talking about putting on a bb replacement for his stock turbo on his MY99. So if there's a bb replacement would that be an option as well?

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
**Forgive the noob question**

Are the WRX TD04s a ball bearing item? The only reason I ask is because one of the guys at work was talking about putting on a bb replacement for his stock turbo on his MY99. So if there's a bb replacement would that be an option as well?

Colin,

The WRX TD04's arent a BB turbo, all the Garrett turbo's are BB though so they are an option.

J

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
This may be a bit off topic but has anyone tryed to modify our tdo3s (high flow or bigger faces)

Im looking for turbo upgrades to get around 250-270kw and know that our turbos run out of puff at around 220kw. I would rather keep our instant boost tdo3s over tdo4s and not touch internals. Any ideas??

cheers

monty

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Monty I've read about people reconditioning and high-flowing these turbos and they tend to fail soon after - they just won't take much more abuse than they were designed for. You're much better off going for Garret ball-bearing turbos or similar, as they'll give you the increased power without any additional lag. There's discussion on the topic in a few existing threads - a fair bit earlier in this one, in fact ;)

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
Thanks trevor i havnt been able to find any figures or info on highflowing our turbos. Garrets would be the way to go if i wanted bulk hp but my wallet wouldnt agree with spending 10k atm....but i can dream :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Colin - missed your question originally. IHI VF series turbos work with Subi's and most of them have ball bearings.

Monty - my car pushes out 228kw at the wheels, which is around 280-300kw at the engine I beleive. To acheive anything like that you need an aftermarket ecu. I think the highest I've seen on the stock ecu without a piggy back is 182kw ATW

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
Joel, the ball bearing turbos have less lag than journal bearings, that is a fact. The MHI designs are all rather old now, 20 years old thereabouts! They might be comparable to an old T3 or T4 Garrett, but not a GTxxR turbo.
but unfortunately, the ball bearing turbos still don't seem to outspool the MHI turbos within the same power range. Take a look at how the non ball bearing Borg Warner turbos outspool and make more power than the Garrett ball bearing counter parts

Top Bottom