legnum turbo upgrade swaps

kiddyvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
monty
Drive
VR4 Galant 1997
bradc said:
Monty - my car pushes out 228kw at the wheels, which is around 280-300kw at the engine I beleive. To acheive anything like that you need an aftermarket ecu. I think the highest I've seen on the stock ecu without a piggy back is 182kw ATW

Brad i probably should have explained myself better, i meant ATW kw. I have an aftermarket ecu and am pushing 200kw ATW the next step is injectors and knew that your turbos ran out at 228kw. So im just wondering if anyone has modified our turbos and had decent results.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I wouldn't say they are spare but i do have 2 turbo's from my front cut, i am using them at the moment to make dump pipes but we may be able to work something out.
Am i going to get them back?

G

Unregistered
Easiest way IMHO would be to scrap the Twin Turbo setup and have manifolds from the rear and front bank merging together where the factory intake area is and running something like a 3037 or bigger.

Throttle body relocation and custom made plenum would need to be fabbed up too.

It's going to cost a fair bit but still much better gains and much more room to work with.

The rear turbo sits way too close to the firewall, good luck fitting an aftermarket turbo capable of decent flow back there.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i've always been under the impression that 2 smaller ones will always spool faster than 1 big one.. even if it is only a tiny difference... :p if it was a straight 6 or a turbo config like a supra i would agree with you, but the fact its a v6 with 2 banks if i need custom manifolds anyway (alot of work to fit 1 big one like you are saying, and silly length of manifold pipe) i might as well spend a bit on getting 2 smaller manifolds made to give more room for 2 bigger turbos to fit near factory positions...

G

Unregistered
I think either way is plausible but to make the twins work you'd have to use a pair of 25's or 28's and definitely make custom manifolds from the engine to the turbos to get more clearance from the thermo and firewall. In my opinion i agree with Altaaf a single GT30 is the best. I dont agree with the idea of throttle body reloc and new plenum, i dont think its necessary. I have my plan all set out and i'll let you know if it works in the next couple of months. A single is a lot less work less money and more effective, but that's my opinion. I have been doing a ton of research on the matter over the past few months and asked a lot of people in the know and i'm going a single. Have exactly the right one picked out, now i just have to wait for some spare cash to buy it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Garrett GT3076R .86 rear. WIN. Single is the way. I'll flog the twins till they die, then cry to the bank for a single ;)

G

Unregistered
.86 rear is a little big i'm trying the .63, but that's the turbo i'm getting

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
.86 rear is a little big i'm trying the .63, but that's the turbo i'm getting

My 2 cents worth and this will be specifically at you Benny.
I think you'll find the .63 housing too small....actually Benny, send me a pm with your stats and what you want to achive and i'll give you some inside info from my expericence from guys with that size ex housing and mine which is 0.74 and others with .82 and 1.06.....or not its up to you;)

I am happy to share this info with all of you but i'd rather not post it until you are serious about doing it. Happy to answer questions and debate it a little but going from experience from a few other websites, i'm not here to be abused. i'll share info with engine turbo combinations if you really are serious about it but i am not going to answer every little question.

I don't know everything, i don't work for a workshop and currently my Leggy is standard other than a cat back exhaust- but i do have a wealth of experience with turbo engines that i'm happy to share if you are willing to listen. Yes it's on other brands but the basics are the same.

Sorry if that sounds like i'm being a prick, i'll happy to help where i can.

G

Unregistered
Alright i think i'll concede to my mistake, .82 is better but i'm still worried about how much later the boost will come on. My wife drives this 90 % of the time and i dont want her to whinge it drives like a pig???

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Well, being a 2.5l v6, it isn't like it will be gutless off boost, but it WILL be fun when it comes on. If you aren't overly concerned about top end but moreso want a meaty midrange with very quick response, go the smaller housing.

At the end of the day, either housing will work, it is just a matter of working out what you would rather get from the car and apply that to your turbo selection.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
when i drive i hardly rev past 5.5 or 6k rpm even when im giving it some... so i think sticking with the smaller ones would suit my driving style... then again i havent really played with a car that had a lot of top end so i wouldnt know what id prefer :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think i would prefer to have power as well from mid to high rev range.. at least i know when i flog it past 4000rpm.. i still have power...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
see how things go hey? we are gonna have quite a few singles and quite a few twins by the looks of things. going to be interesting to see how things go :p

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Ok so I'm going in RPW and embleton next week to try and get quotes on this TD04 upgrade. I'm overseas for 11 weeks and a mate has offered to lend me the cash and pay it back whenever (i.e. he really wants to see it happen) Most of you already know my mod list by now. Just to recap on everything that is gonna need doing for me from here on so I know what to tell the mechanics when I ask for a quote:

GTO Radiator fans or EVO radiator supplied and installed.
Modified or custom dump pipe (the one that comes off the turbo), turbo Y pipe, front engine mount, and water/oil lines, and connecting cooler pipe to the turbo.
Turbos disassembled and modified so that they line up and fit. (is this easy? I'm gonna get the turbos rebuilt first, so I guess this could be done in the process by the same dude?)
Standard manifolds will be used, however the turbo flanges have gotto be drilled on to the exhaust manifolds or something to fit? Right?
Bigger injectors (560 cc from EVO 8?)
Anything missed?

Thanks heaps

G

Unregistered
The 'turbo y-pipe', is that the one 'going to' or 'coming from' the turbos? Every time I think about it, I just hate the thought of how restrictive that pipe leading to the front turbo is, would love to see an aftermarket solution, otherwise it will have to be something like Brad's.

Also, when you heading off, might be a good idea to have another WA Meet before you knick off?

Top Bottom