Legnum vs Stagea vs Caldina

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
It's nice, apart from the wheels... they just don't suit.

How do you tell a "cold spec" car?

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Just don't ask man :p...i reckon bradc knows just about everything possible about these cars. Pretty damn rare to see him asking a question. But I do know the cold spec cars have a demister built into the windscreen, as well as the standard climate controlled demister we all have.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The easiest way to tell is to look for the windscreen heater switch and the heating elements built into the bottom of the windscreen where the wipers sit when they aren't in use. The cold spec cars also have a slightly more powerful alternator.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
My car must have had the front windscreen replaced before my ownership as I have the de-mister switch, but not the demister lines on the windscreen. I had to get it replaced again when in my ownership.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
I suggested a stager as the wifes next car 2 years ago.
So, she went for a test drive, and reported back it was a "slow, un-comfortable ugly box"
and that she would find her own car thank you!
She finally settled on an Outback suby.

If you have ever seen the fuel maps on the VR4 you would understand why the fuel consumption figures.
Typically 12.7:1 on hi-cruise and 9.8:1 on boost.

That should improve with some re-mapping.

G

Unregistered
That motorman car is crazy. It has the silver dash with MMCS which I had never seen before. I wonder if it is a standard mmcs dash in either wood or carbon that has been painted. It also looks like it is a cold spec car. Someone ticked EVERY option box on that car - well apart from the paint job, couldn't they find something better than white?

Looks like it's sold now too. Someone must have won the lotto last week! :LOL:

Hmm, this looks familiar.

Nice car, and good to see that it went to someone on the forum.

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
I was after a stagea or any performance wagon but my wife banned me because it was to ugly and 80s volvo like.

1st time I ever saw a Stagea (from the back), I just thought it was a riced up Camry wagon. Dunno if it was just me! Almost the ugliest car I've seen. The Ford Ka is at the top of my list for FUGLY.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
There's a Caldina in Ballarat that just looks awesome. White, subtle kit, low, white 17s. I'm a huge fan.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Followed a Stagea last night.... Its a local car, see it a bit. Another guy I know here has a stag and I also saw one in my street on Tuesday from QLD with STAG3A on the plates haha. This is a country town too remember! :)

And I was all like "whoosh tss tss, whoooooooooooooooooosh tss tss tss" lol

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
The Caldina that they review is the earlier model which looks aweful, but the newer version looks good besides the $25k odd price tag. Oh and they only come in Auto...

G

Unregistered
I read this comparision before I bought my wagon.

The 1/4 mile time and handling reported in this article made me look into the caldina. So I test drove a 98 manual caldina. the handling seemed good and you could feel the weight difference. power wise it needs a lot of revs before anying much happened, even then It felt only as quick as a legnum at best and no where near as responsive or fun. after that I was set on a leggy

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Thats good to hear :) They do have quite a bit of lag down low.

Do you have any pics of your car Daniel? 2002 models tend to attract a bit of attention around here :D

G

Unregistered
Hi there I got a caldina GT-T myself and they are bloody quick cars mine is the tiptronic auto one with a mines ecu it's quicker than vr4's and stageas and faster than twin turbo legacy b4's the handling is incredible the tiptronic caldinas have vehicle stability control and the manuals have a lsd I once raced a manual caldina with my tiptronic and mine was faster thats before I put the ecu in now i'm doing 0-100 km/h in 5 secs flat before I was doing 5.5-5.8 secs to 100 km/h depending on the temperature once a legnum tried to race me pulled about 7 ot 8 car lengths in front then kept on pulling away even more the legnums are nice cars test drove a few before buying a caldina settled on the caldina for the reliability factor and the performance and the way it handled :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hi there I got a caldina GT-T myself and they are bloody quick cars mine is the tiptronic auto one with a mines ecu it's quicker than vr4's and stageas and faster than twin turbo legacy b4's the handling is incredible the tiptronic caldinas have vehicle stability control and the manuals have a lsd I once raced a manual caldina with my tiptronic and mine was faster thats before I put the ecu in now i'm doing 0-100 km/h in 5 secs flat before I was doing 5.5-5.8 secs to 100 km/h depending on the temperature once a legnum tried to race me pulled about 7 ot 8 car lengths in front then kept on pulling away even more the legnums are nice cars test drove a few before buying a caldina settled on the caldina for the reliability factor and the performance and the way it handled :)

Dude, breathe. Slow down and breathe. Ever heard of punctuation? Leave the rapidfire jabbering to game reviewers with English accents and sweet hats.

Oh, and what brad said.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Shit. Do they still teach punctuation & grammar at school these days ? That was absolutely horrible to read... maybe thank god he bought a Caldina & won't be around here a lot :p

Top Bottom