Legnum vs Stagea vs Caldina

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
He's got Kahoona's..... play nice gentlemen !!!

By the way Dean welcome to OzVR4, apologies but your probably going to have to slug this 15 rounder out, hope the health insurance covers this....

G

Unregistered
interesting results there, i did not think a caldina would be that quick. It could have the boost increased or an overboosting problem.

Ive seen a few imports from japan that look stock but have restrictors in the actuator lines to increase the boost

G

Unregistered
Saw this site and it seems pretty cool I know a few people with galant vr4's so thought I would sign up as it looks like a good community.

My caldina is on 12 psi. Sorry about the puctuation I should have read that post.

Some stock caldinas I have seen have done a 13.6 second quarter mile times down Meremere

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I'm just curious how the Caldina can claim to be faster than the Legnum when the Caldina makes less power, a lot less torque and only has a slight weight advantage.

A quick search reveals the following:

>Weighing 1470kg, the Caldina GT-T offers similar performance to a Subaru WRX wagon achieving 0–100km/h in 7 seconds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Caldina

>ZERO TO 100Klm. / H IN SUB 7 SECONDS
http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16554

>260 bhp from single turbo, 0-100 around 6.5
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/auction-223048083.htm

If the Caldina is running mid 6's to 7's to the hundred, it won't be quicker than a Legnum. No chance of it running with the (lighter) Galant.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
A stock VR-4 will handily beat a Caldina. The Caldina is quicker from 6000 to 7000rpm, but the VR-4's are a ton faster at any other point in the rev range.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Agreed Brad. Basically, in the real world and in everyday driving (where torque and response are more important than absolute top end blast), I reckon the Legnum would have it over the Caldina.

If we go down the auto transmission route, even more so:

>The [Caldina] test wagon bounded from a standing start to 100km/h, in a nifty 8.5 seconds, but still a good second or so adrift of close competitors such as the Subaru Legacy GT wagon.

>What is the verdict? An interesting looking but expensive, the GT-T does not really deliver on its high performance wagon billing.

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/motoringfeature.asp?featnum=19&menu=4&menuitem=10

The above was a 2003 Caldina GT-T with 10,000klms on the clock. I would be very surprised if the auto Legnum wasn't substantially faster to the 100 than 8.5 seconds.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
They may not have launched it at all, I would expect a lot quicker than that. We also have MUCH better looking interiors :)

G

Unregistered
That later shape caldina is called the gt four I have driven one and it was awful it felt slow and underpowered even though it has the same engine as my caldina gtt it's heavier and makes it torque and power 400 rpm higher in the rev range than the gtt.

It's bloody ugly that shape inside and out I ripped one up last week lol.

The ct15b turbo is pretty big and from about 130 km/h it comes alive even more and keeps on pulling I always like surprising the old people walking along the road when I put my foot down and the family wagon hauls a**e they look shocked and angry haha

I have test driven Legacy TT's, Legnums and stageas and lots of caldinas and the best by far was the caldina it was definitely the quickest in a straight line and the handling was spot on I agree the legnums do have a very nice interior the seats are really comfy I wish the seats in my caldina were more supportive

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
The ct15b turbo is pretty big and from about 130 km/h it comes alive even more and keeps on pulling

Dean.

So you're basically saying that it isn't that flash in the real world and at real world speeds? ;)

I will admit though that the turbo'ed Toyota 4 banger has a whole heap of after market bolt on support, which is not something us Galant / Legnum owners can say.

G

Unregistered
Bottom end it has a bit of lag then from about 20 km/h it starts to pull harder the mines ecu I put in got rid of the lag and it seems smoother.

Yeah there is alot of different parts i'm going to put a t3/t4 turbo on it at the end of the year when my finances are sorted lol the manifold on the stock turbo are a one piece cast unit so I can't put an aftermarket manifold on without changing to a bigger and better turbo my starlet glanza had no problem with that

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
sorry dean i just cant see how with less power, less cylinders, less capacity, and similar weight, it can leave a leggy behind.. i'd love to see a video of your speedo though, as obviously we are going to be just as bias as you clearly are..

edit - dont bother posting a video lol i just re read my post. Each car is different and has its own benefits - and i've never driven a caldina so really wouldnt know.
I would suspect if you have enough money the legnum has more potential with more cyl's and capacity though..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The mines ecu and a few other mods make it incomparable to a stock VR-4. A quick search on google makes me happy though

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/forum/showthread.php?p=6310

In the club in Auckland there are 3 VR-4's that have boost, intercooler and exhaust and all of them made 180-190kw. There was one at 184kw that I have the dyno for, it makes 160kw ATW at 4000rpm, compared to the (more) modified Caldina in that post (with a full ecu, external wastegate, etc) which only makes 120kw at 4000rpm. At 3500rpm it is even bigger, 150kw ATW versus 100kw.

At 6000rpm the VR-4 makes about 177kw ATW, the Caldina is up at about 185kw or so. So as I said before, at really high rpm the Caldina is a bit quicker, but at anything before 6000rpm a VR-4 will be a heck of a lot better. And remember again that the Caldina had a full replacment ecu on it tuned on a Dyno.

With a full ecu on a VR-4, things get interesting. At 3500rpm I make 160kw or so, at 4000rpm I'm at about 190kw and at 6000rpm I'm still making about 215-220kw. Still on stock turbos. In fact my list of mods are almost identical to that Caldina linked to above, but I don't have external wastegates.
1204160395.jpg

G

Unregistered
I got my Caldina dynoed at Gary Capper too those guys are bloody good they know what they are talking about my caldina when it was stock without the mines ecu made 160 kw atw on that dyno pretty impressed with that result

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Stock a VR-4 is about the same max power, but developed earlier in the rev range. Are you going to dyno it again with the mines ecu?

G

Unregistered
Yeah I'm going to Dyno it again as soon as I get a job lol most vr4's that I have seen on the dyno have been making 135-145 kw atw on the dyno days I have been to my mates one was making 140 kw atw I want to take my car down meremere or around pukekohe this year I can't launch it though coz it has vehicle stability control and if you launch it at 3000 rpm it bogs down and the vsc kicks in it's bloody annoying at times lol I want to get a t3/t4 at the end of the year I'm aiming at making 250 kw in the future :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Were they all autos? hehe. Most of the ones I've seen are 150-160kw stock. I did see an auto one at 140kw.

G

Unregistered
Nah they were 5 speed manuals I'm going to put the Caldina on the dyno again in a few months to see how much extra power the mines ecu has given me (y)

Top Bottom