List of Problems... Please add to it

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
tweeter covers on these cars arent strong enough,grrrrrrr i think a lot of ppl agree.lol

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
My latest problem in less than seven months of ownership is warped rotors. Even at low speeds without the brake activated you can hear the discs rubbing and making subtle grinding noises. Pisses me off :mad:

Going to order some new rotors off Trav within the next week to get this sorted.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Ummmmm.... the major issue at the moment is the almighty crapload of smoke I blow out after initial start up.

The boys from NSW can vouch for that, nearly suffocated Dawso on Sunday.

Been told it's the valve stem seals. Will get them replaced after my trip to QLD.

Don't think I've got the space to list what I've fixed since owning Grandpa since Oct '07.

But, as has been noted to me by the boys, it's not in bad nick considering the kilometres :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Having said that, I'm picking the car up from MEEK today so let's hold our breath there's nothing else majorly wrong :)

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
My latest problem in less than seven months of ownership is warped rotors. Even at low speeds without the brake activated you can hear the discs rubbing and making subtle grinding noises. Pisses me off :mad:

Going to order some new rotors off Trav within the next week to get this sorted.

Sounds like the dust plates on the rear of the rotors have been bent a little and are just touching the rotors. Hence the grinding noises.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Dimi - I beleive Pete is right, you are perhaps dragging the rear brake sheilds.If not however, I would change all the rotors and pads at once.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
So let's see. The discs were rooted and i got those replaced as well as the pads and that came to a total of $510 including labour.

Total list of problems since owning the car in August 2008:
  • Cam angle sensor - $200
  • Transmission mount needs replacing (clunk when putting into reverse, etc.) - Yet to be fixed
  • Leak - small droplets every now and then (rear main seal or torque converter seal) - Yet to be fixed
  • Squeaky belt - Using belt grip spray at the moment $8
  • Jerk when hitting boost (Coils) - $250
  • Spark plugs $100
  • Leads $120
  • Brake pads and brand new front rotors - $510
  • Radiator top tank - $160
Maintenance costs aren't too bad so far. Most of the things replaced will last a long time so i don't have to worry about replacing them again for a while.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I haven't had many actual 'problems' with my car where things have failed or worn out (most of my issues were due to my accident), but I've spent quite a lot ensuring I don't have any. Issues I've actually had are:

• Clock - resoldered plug contacts, $0
  • Factory remote locking key buttons not very sensitive - replaced for around $109
  • Clutch - Exedy HD kit $680, resurfaced flywheel $70. As I did the replacement myself, strictly speaking costs could have been limited to this plus new oils for diff & gearbox, but I did things like rear main seal ($22), cam belt (& components), water pump, thermostat etc at the same time.
  • AYC pressure switch plays up when really throwing the car about - on the 'to do' list

For a full list of everything I've replaced check my member's ride thread (link in my sig, for example see here, here and here)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hmm. i think i was not too lucky but still alright

front left cv joint reconditioned $100
oil leaks - main seal replaced with tourque converter $900
interior fan heat controller? (that controls the temperature of fans inside our car. damm it was a cold winter) $free
oxygen sensor x 2 $200
new second hand rotors since mine was so thin and rusted $220
left ayc making funny noise when i go hard on corners
steering wheel clicks a bit when turned
damaged front bar and bonnet, thanks to the stupid driver who popped out
factory air box not flushing with clips

now. maybe someone should drive my cat for few days and tell me what else is going wrong

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Should I even try to post what I've had wrong & fixed since owning the Grandpa ?

I don't think there is enough space on the forum to hold that type of post...

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i still havnt spend a cent on mine other then servicing, done over 20,000 kms now car is up to 140,000km's total

my main problem i still need to get checked thou is there is a faulty CV joint i think still yet to find the fault and replace it and when first started the obvious tick i get for about 30 seconds but i think nearly everyone gets that.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
After four months of ownership ive had the following problems.

Warped front rotors. (replaced $270)
Shuddering clutch. (yet to be replaced. quoted $1450 fitted)
VTA BOV causing fuelling problems. (replaced for free)
Pod filter causing problems. (replaced with stock airbox $225)
Broken muffler thanks to steel wool being shoved up there for compliance. (replaced $350)
Front right inner and outer CV joint boots split.
Boost leak that i cant track down. Probably due the boost controller that was taken out.
Tacho not working due to ignition failure sensor.
Stuffed right engine mount.

Mainly small problems apart from the clutch and hopefully it stays that way. And in regards to the boost leak can i track it down by taking off the airbox and blocking the pipe up and then pressurising the system with a electric tyre pump. Or will this not work.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Engine bay fire.........top that!

G

Unregistered
hey guys, just joined, i have a '97 legnum & so far i have had only the alternator belt shred its self, just 2 days ago & then last
nite
my power steering has gotten really tight (don't know the cause). the pic is of my belt after the event.

BTW
, how do i know/figure out if my steering belt
has
"slipped a grove"

Attachments

• 13052009179.jpg
    13052009179.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 111
G

Unregistered
more problems

a new one, with the power steering, i have to have the pump rebuilt.
took it to carmens in Brendale Qld

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the site. Just a few things - nite = night, grove = groove, gotten isn't a real word and please don't use non-standard fonts and colours unless there's some pressing need (especially when the tags get screwed up making it hard to read what you've written).

Power steering pumps don't stand up to much abuse, if you overheat them they will die. Just doing a few helis in warm weather can be enough to kill them.

I'd also be VERY surprised if a belt could 'slip a groove', if it was installed correctly it wouldn't have enough free play to move laterally. If it did it would be pretty obvious as you'd be able to see part of the pulley to one side of the belt.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Welcome to the site. Just a few things - nite = night, grove = groove, gotten isn't a real word

Hehe ..... good one Trevor. I've given up on trying to correct spelling & grammar on this site. I'm not blameless, but boy I see so much of it now...

Top Bottom