My engine whine was not the alternator...

Wiggles

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Sean
Drive
1997 PFL Leggy
Mitsfix use both Gates and Sun belts.

I'd say you got a Sun belt as the gates ones are around $150 on top of the Sun belts

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hrm. Wondering if I care enough about this to warrant buying an OEM belt.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I'll pull the covers and take a look. Only a 5 minute job.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Latest update: performing a more thorough investigation on this because I'm not sure the whine is the belt. Concerned it might be a turbo.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Did you rely on the pin to set the tensioner or what i sent you?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Did you rely on the pin to set the tensioner or what i sent you?
Yeah I rotated it a couple times and checked it.

Did some thinking about the gap measurement and I think the reason they say "3.8-4.5 mm" is that those are the gaps that you could potentially get depending on the thickness of the pin you use to hold the piston while you adjust the tensioner pulley. A thick pin that barely fits would get you right on 3.8mm while a thinner pin would let the piston extend a little.

Having more experience with the noise now, I can see it is not rpm dependent. It's louder when cold initially, goes away at idle when warm but comes back at odd times like at high rpm and when coming off revs.

Some other things which have started to happen over time as well are the sound when the BOV opens is a wail/whistle. Previously it was just the ever so subtle "Pssh".

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
bugger, maybe ask steve? its a rattle on mine at idle, sounds similar to lifters, but from a different spot. Dut depending on how the bearing is failing the noise could vary significantly I'd imagine, you can't hear mine when in the car, but its only just started to let go.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Hey folks, bit of an update. Driving the Leggy again as I've got her back from being on loan to a mate. The whine was very noticeable today, particularly on deceleration but if I turn off the Air Conditioning, the noise diminishes to the point you can barely hear it.

Specifically I should say that while decelerating in gear the whine was very loud, but if I suddenly turned off the AC during deceleration, the noise almost disappeared.

My video from late July shows me demonstrating the noise with no drive belts connected, but that example was definitely quieter than when it's really bad.

So, right now we have the following symptoms:
  • The whine is apparent as soon as you start the engine
  • It tends to diminish in volume as you let the engine warm up
  • It appears to be louder when the AC is switched on
  • It appears to be louder when there is a high electrical load
So....erm...something in the harmonic balancer? I was thinking timing belt for a while because the sound is almost identical to timing belt whine (as compared to the various YouTube videos showing this). The load on the timing belt would be the same regardless of the load on the harmonic balancer, right? I mean, timing belt load should be affected only by water pump drag and the resistance of the valve springs.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Stoopid question but... do you have the stereo turned on during these tests? Does the whine go away with it turned off? By "off" I mean completely off, not just switched to a disconnected input like USB or Bluetooth.

My cheap $80 Aldi head unit produces exactly these symptoms. I always knew what it was, but didn't realise until the other day (newly warm weather) that it is so much louder with the A/C turned on.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Check alignment and squareness of all pulleys and idlers too. Also check pulleys for wear.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Stoopid question but... do you have the stereo turned on during these tests? Does the whine go away with it turned off? By "off" I mean completely off, not just switched to a disconnected input like USB or Bluetooth.

My cheap $80 Aldi head unit produces exactly these symptoms. I always knew what it was, but didn't realise until the other day (newly warm weather) that it is so much louder with the A/C turned on.

i think hes hearing it outside of the car rather than just inside too, his makes a slightly different noise to mine, mine is more of a wurble than a whine since a belt/pulley change

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
i think hes hearing it outside of the car rather than just inside too, his makes a slightly different noise to mine, mine is more of a wurble than a whine since a belt/pulley change

Ah ok. I did say it was a stoopid question :)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive

It's a good question. I mean, if you Google "engine whine" 99% of the returned links are related to alternators.

But mine isn't the alternator. The radio is off and I can hear it when I wind down the windows. The noise is also evident - albeit quieter - when all the drive belts are removed (as per my YouTube video in an earlier post).

Boblobsta

"I'll keep it stock"
Lifetime Member
First Name
Bob
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type-V
1976 Leyland Mini Panelvan
Hi Kaldek, Did you get a result chasing this down?

I am experiencing something very similar which I've just started investigating, although I think my whine / rattle could be a vibration in a heat shield or worst case.. a turbo.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Hi Kaldek, Did you get a result chasing this down?

No mate not yet. However there's definitely a dodgy rear turbo (albeit not blowing oil and still holding boost) diagnosed using my det cans as making a knocking sound. I promised myself I would swap it out in the next 3 weeks before the kids go back to school as I don't need the car to be on the road much until then. I also intend to use my det cans to see if I can find the source of the whine while driving around.

If you can record a video with decent quality audio and upload it to YouTube I'm happy to listen to it and tell you if the sound is the same as mine.

Boblobsta

"I'll keep it stock"
Lifetime Member
First Name
Bob
Drive
Hi Mate,

I suspect my sound is coming from the front turbo, but I haven't inspected it yet so that's just a hunch. Boost is ok and oil also good - same as yours.
I will get a vid this weekend, the sound is obvious when the revs are falling while just sitting and being given a little throttle. It also has very faint nasty sounds when spooling up, but it would be very hard to record these I think.

AC switch doesnt make any changes to mine.

My car was tuned at TME a few months ago and Steve said that the sound (it wasn't as prominent back then) seems like it could be an exhaust heat shield which is loose, which definitely fits the bill. I'm also on a pretty much stock everything so when the exhaust gets replaced soon I'll take the opportunity to have a looky from the underside too.

Bob

Boblobsta

"I'll keep it stock"
Lifetime Member
First Name
Bob
Drive
Sorry just to clarify too, I only matching the second half of your symptoms, ie the sound that occurs as revs fall off - not the initial whine that you reported.

Top Bottom