My engine whine was not the alternator...

Boblobsta

"I'll keep it stock"
Lifetime Member
First Name
Bob
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type-V
1976 Leyland Mini Panelvan
Hi Kaldek,

Sorry for the late reply, I heard your audio file too and I think I've got a separate sound & issue, but here are the video links anyway.
I'm fairly confident my problem is the front turbo.

Cheers,
Bob W

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi Kaldek,
Sorry for the late reply, I heard your audio file too and I think I've got a separate sound & issue, but here are the video links anyway.
I'm fairly confident my problem is the front turbo.

Yeah that sounds like the fins on one of the turbo wheels hitting the housing. Time for a replacement turbo!

Boblobsta

"I'll keep it stock"
Lifetime Member
First Name
Bob
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type-V
1976 Leyland Mini Panelvan
FYI This turned out to be a loose wastegate arm allowing the gate to flap, whats crazy is that I changed the turbo and didnt think to check the wg arm :(
Steve tightened it up and problem was solved, also got rid of my lag issues (obviously).

Goof

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ian
Drive
Vr4 LEGGY
Yo mine is doing the same thing as Kaldek ever since I changed my p/s. Did any one figure out what it is? Its so doing my head in.

Johnwastakenalready

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1997 Manual Legnum VR4
Triumph Daytona 675
Kaldek did you ever find a cause for this? Or did the whine go away?

My car has suddenly developed the same whine, which has begun about 3 months after I did the major service (timing belt, water, pump, pulleys)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Kaldek did you ever find a cause for this? Or did the whine go away?

My car has suddenly developed the same whine, which has begun about 3 months after I did the major service (timing belt, water, pump, pulleys)
I never really proved it anymore than it being a different brand of timing belt. I have a built motor from @TME_Steve now that has no noises.

Top Bottom