New car - help please

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
Righto so i need me a new car.

What i want is a 1973 morris mini van with a 4efte engine swap...only problem is its in sydney and its $12000....

Im gonna start trying to save for a house deposit and i know i shouldnt spend this much.

So what i need is a car for sub $5000 , dont really care what it is but it has to be different, interesting, licensed, running and available soon.

Any suggestions?

ones ive looked at:

1972 civic (bad-ass) - get some lil wantabes on it

1984 merc 500sec - pimp, but a life of billion dollar parts awaits

1986 starion gsr-v - yeh...but no....but yeh...but

2000 - HSV Xu6 - it was a moment of weakness...please forgive me

various old air-cooled v-dub's. Family races 1600cc beetle engines... so we have the mechanics at hand

other information includes i have 2 demerit points left and would be quite happy looking good rather than going fast.

Cheers Rosco

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
done the whole magna thing..theyre ok but theyre common as muck.

This car has to tide me through until i can afford a real car....but i want it to be fun

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
and that's why you shhould get a 6g VR4

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Dunno if you're a fan but I came out of a BG Astina SP (with the popup lights), sold it for sub $5000 four years ago and it was in great shape. Went reasonably well for a NA 1.8L four, handled sharp and looked good lowered with nice wheels. I still miss that car.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
If you want fasts: 6G VR4. A fine suggestion Stoive. 4G63, AWD, stupidly vast array of aftermarket and basically an Evo...3? Mate had one years ago, stock internals, bunch of bolt ons including bigger turbo etc. Ran a 12.3. Quick car.

The sensible choice here is most likely air cooled dub. Karmann Ghia? :D

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
+2 for the Ghia, have always liked them... and not a chance under 5k.. not unless you plan on picking up the pieces that aren't completely rusted through and carrying them around in a box.

That Beetle is a pretty sweet looking ride minus the roof rack, but Steve's suggestion for a 6g VR4 is the best choice by a mile, keeping the last 2 precious points might be tricky though.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
JDM 6th gens are pretty easy to come by, awesome bang for buck. My missus has my old one and it is still going strong...well the engine is anyway; Jonson built all the way!
I spent about 4.5k on it and it pumped out 275kw atw a couple of years ago.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I think you'd be straight up mental not to buy that KE55...but that's just me :)

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
If you are trying to save up for a deposit and don't want to lose lots of money, I would honestly recommend buying as late model a car as you can with the best fuel economy.

The legnum for example uses 12-5L/100Ks.. as did my magna and even 380s depending on how you are driving.. more modern cars use far less like 6-10. i.e. ford focus, etc.

And the newer the car.. the less it's going to cost you in repairs and running costs.

Not cool but entirely practical and cheap.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Hyundai Getz fits the bill for late model and frugal...

KDM as fk!

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
yeh but we are car guys...i would rather walk around with only a sock on my dick than drive around in some soulless mid-2000 poo box.

Im viewing that matt beetle today, due to our involvement in formula vee parts are easy as pie to come by, we actually have an entire trailer of parts, including 4 exhaust sytems, disk brake kits and pretty much anything else you can find. The guy who maintains our racecars is gonna check it out for me. Fuel wise its still gonna be pretty good and i can register with a historic car club as its a 1960 and not pay any rego or transfer duty!

Plus we have a spare 1600 race engine sat in the workshop.........

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
I think you'd be straight up mental not to buy that KE55...but that's just me :)

Yeh he said slight bump to front left...in the photos he sent me ther is no front let, quarter panel and half the front bumper is gone...its was $4k for a reason

Top Bottom