No-one Can Start My Car What is going on?

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
So Ever since I got my car people other than me have sometimes had trouble getting my car to start. They'll turn the key and nothing will happen for quite a few goes and it will eventually work or I will have to start the car for them.

Anyway for the last 6 months or so not one single person who has tried has been able to start my car (except Me) I've had a number of people sit there and try and start it turning the key in different ways trying to start it for 5-10mins and then I will lean in and turn the key once and it starts. I Then Turn it off and they try again and it won't start then I Turn the key and it works. This process has been repeated with at least 5 or 6 different people including my mechanic.

Yet the strangest part about it is I Have never Had to turn the key more that twice for it to start. It always works for me.

Now while this is great from a security point of view it is really inconvenient when I need to leave my car at a workshop or carwash or anything like that and my Girlfriend can't take my car anywhere or else she will be stuck there.(Darn)

Anyway any Ideas?

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
does it make any noises under dash ? mine did something simaler to this and sounded like a whinny errrr in a small box near center console . cant remember what exactly it was they ended up bypass it or some thing and they put a realay beetween starter motor sory not much help happend a few years ago now.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Is your car Auto, sometimes I have to click it into park again for it to start, but no issues with the key.

G

Unregistered
Is your car Auto, sometimes I have to click it into park again for it to start, but no issues with the key.

If this is the case, check the inhibitor switch is set up to spec.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Thanks Mate wasn't even too worried about this but I will check it out.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Yeah inhibitor switch is possibly a good possibility. Any chance you are doing something like touching or leaning on the gear selector, brake, etc, that they aren't?

Brake and gear selector are the most likely.

EDIT: In fact I only own a manual, I know these cars have a park brake lockout, do they have a brake lockout?

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Can't be anything like that because I don't even have to get into the car. I Start it from outside the car touching only the key.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i remember my old 7G wouldn't start if was tried out by anyone else.. but if I did it myself.. it would be just 1 click..

could be the ignition barrel.. so check that out too..

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Sounds like worn ignition barrel. you just happen to have the midas touch

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Mine does the same thing now and again (auto), all I do is tap the selector forward and then it starts. As the others said, I think it will be the inhibitor switch.

Gary

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
Sounds like a kill switch that requires u to touch the body of the car whilst touching the key, check under the dash there may b a security system which is causing this problem

purple_guana

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Wang
Drive
galant VR4
Your insurance premiums must be cheap then=P most people spend hundreds for alarm systems and immobilisers where as with you, it's not necessary. have you got an RFID microchip embedded under your skin by any chance;-)

Top Bottom